carat
color
clarity

choice of zircons!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
I've been on a search for my "perfect" blue stone, and currently have 3 stones from Roger Dery. Roger has been amazing throughout the process of me being picky about color, and I STRONGLY recommend him :)

So now, down to the choices! Which one do you all prefer?? Sorry about the blurry pics, zircons are hard to photograph clearly! I think I have a favorite, but I want to know what you all think first since I am still very new to the process).

20150731_185210.jpg 20150731_185207.jpg 20150731_185205.jpg

20150731_185218.jpg 20150731_185216.jpg

20150731_185005.jpg 20150731_185043.jpg

20150731_185031.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice dilemma to be able to pick one of these. Based on your photo's, my personal pick would be the one below (the round). The color seems very vivid. Do you have vendor pics if these as well?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question, Acinom! I do have some vendor pics. Sorry some of them are huge.

unnamed-2.jpg unnamed.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all pretty. But IMHO when comparing similar stones that are all pretty- bigger is better. I like the bigger oval.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I much prefer the round...if you decide to pass it up, send it my way, lol ;-)

(Ok I'm kidding, but only kind of...I really like it!!)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the colour of the round the best.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the photos posted so far, I prefer the bottom round one in the first set of pics for its more vivid colour when compared with the others. It also looks the sparkiest.

DK :))

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the round and the square cushion, the cushion cause I like a hint of green.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
I was drawn to the greenish cushion in the first few pictures but I also like the round. All yummy!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smaller round and the cushion have the least amount of extinction. I would just make sure the cushion doesn't have half/half extinction, which plagues most elongated cuts.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the vendor pics. For me it confirms a preference for the round. Which sings to you most?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL said:
The smaller round and the cushion have the least amount of extinction. I would just make sure the cushion doesn't have half/half extinction, which plagues most elongated cuts.

Hi TL, thanks for the insight! Could you let me know what you mean by half/half extinction? I've been looking at the cushion in multiple lights and don't see any extinction, but I just want to make sure.
Thanks!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1438411708|3909686 said:
Thanks for sharing the vendor pics. For me it confirms a preference for the round. Which sings to you most?

Thanks, Acinom! I am the most excited about the smaller square/cushion smaller (the stone on top). I think it "sings" to me the most because it has some green in it (to my eye), which is what I was hoping for in terms of color. I've been trying to find something close-ish to "paraiba" colored, and that one is the closest to it as far as I can tell :) I just wanted to get some other opinions from people who know better than I do about what a "good" CS looks like.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1438437065|3909733 said:
TL said:

Hi TL, thanks for the insight! Could you let me know what you mean by half/half extinction? I've been looking at the cushion in multiple lights and don't see any extinction, but I just want to make sure.
Thanks!

You can see it more in these pics. Do you see how the upper half of the stone looks darker than the bottom? Of course, it could be camera shadow, or just a bad pic, but elongated cuts, typically have a darker half when you tilt the table away from a 90 degree angle from your line of sight. This can be more of an issue in some cuts/tones than others, and it can be a deterrent to some people. However, if you don't find it a deterrent, and you love the gem, than it's a non-issue.

20150731_185216.jpg

20150731_185005.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, really crushing on the square cushion - that's my fav of the 3!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Cushion!!!!! Gorgeous!!!! The middle one.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cushion seems the brightest but I prefer the flashes from the round.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1438437264|3909735 said:
Acinom|1438411708|3909686 said:

Thanks, Acinom! I am the most excited about the smaller square/cushion smaller (the stone on top). I think it "sings" to me the most because it has some green in it (to my eye), which is what I was hoping for in terms of color. I've been trying to find something close-ish to "paraiba" colored, and that one is the closest to it as far as I can tell :) I just wanted to get some other opinions from people who know better than I do about what a "good" CS looks like.

Ah, the appeal of greenish blue :love: :love: :love:
I totally understand the appeal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1438441409|3909759 said:
lovedogs|1438437065|3909733 said:
TL said:

Thanks!

You can see it more in these pics. Do you see how the upper half of the stone looks darker than the bottom? Of course, it could be camera shadow, or just a bad pic, but elongated cuts, typically have a darker half when you tilt the table away from a 90 degree angle from your line of sight. This can be more of an issue in some cuts/tones than others, and it can be a deterrent to some people. However, if you don't find it a deterrent, and you love the gem, than it's a non-issue.

Thanks for clarifying, TL! I think that was a potential issue about the larger cushion. I kept noticing "inconsistencies" in the stone in terms of which colors I was seeing from each part. So maybe that was what I was seeing (I just didn't have a name for it).

Katharath: The round and larger cushion will go back to Roger, so it will be available if you are tempted :)

Thanks everyone for your help! I have officially decided to go with the smaller square cushion that "sings" to me--taking Acinom's advice to go with my cut on this one :) And I emailed DK about ring design, so hopefully I will soon have it set!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1438442816|3909763 said:
Wow, really crushing on the square cushion - that's my fav of the 3!

Yep, me too. While the others might have a slightly darker in tone, stronger in saturation color, the brilliance of the square cushion is off the hook. It just never turns off, does it?

ETA: I guess I should've finished reading the thread before I responded, as providing my opinion was clearly made moot by your decision! :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great choice and yay for working with David. Hope he responds soon as he seems to be very very busy at this point. I am working eith him too at the moment. Any ideas yet on setting designs?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you went with the square cushion. It was my pick out of the 3 you were considering :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Mochiko and Minous! I appreciate your help and support! Acinom, I do have some setting ideas--partially inspired by the DK ring you have (SS inspired, red stone in a bezel). I sent DK lots of SS rings for inspiration, as well as photos of yours :) I want something vintage-looking with lots of engraving and milgrain in a bezel, but with enough light getting in the gallery in order to keep the zircon sparkling. So we will see what he says...I'm hoping he can take my inspiration photos and make something unique and amazing--which seems to be his specialty!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oww, totally biased but I love that Singestone design. Mine is actually made by Brilliantly Engaged. I have been toying with the idea of having DK make one for me with a tanzanite or zircon center. I know... I love that design that much :lol:

I think DK will make a stunning inspired version!! What are the dimensions of the cushion that you now can call yours?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Acinom! uh oh--I might have put my foot in my mouth with DK by attaching pictures of your ring as "his". Hope he isn't offended! :oops:

My new stone is 3.32 carats (7.15 x 6.2mm). But zircon is so heavy that it looks smaller (which is good for me, since I don't own anything over 2 carats and likely wouldn't be comfortable wearing a ring that looked like 3+ carats).

I'm looking forward to starting the project :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whahaha :lol: He is such a relaxed guy. I am sure he does not mind.

That's a great sized stone for that setting. Will you wear it as a standalone ring or add a band?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1438548859|3910206 said:
Whahaha :lol: He is such a relaxed guy. I am sure he does not mind.

That's a great sized stone for that setting. Will you wear it as a standalone ring or add a band?

I think it will be a standalone RHR. My husband wouldn't be overly fond of me changing e-ring sets, since we chose it together :) I already changed out the center stone of it, but that he was fine with since we planned that from the beginning. I would post pics, but they go against the PS rules, so I can't :(

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I love the choice you made and your setting ideas sound fabulous! Can't wait to see what DK comes up with! :appl:
Btw, I love your "lovedogs" handle. It's a great name choice & made me keep wondering if you were involved in rescue, etc. :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1438563974|3910307 said:
I love the choice you made and your setting ideas sound fabulous! Can't wait to see what DK comes up with! :appl:
Btw, I love your "lovedogs" handle. It's a great name choice & made me keep wondering if you were involved in rescue, etc. :wavey:

Thanks for the kind words, Rockinruby! I want to foster rescue dogs desperately, but DH is allergic, so we have 2 hypoallergenic dogs at home (maltese and cockapoo) who we adore :) One of my "dream" jobs if the current path doesn't work out (or if money were no object) would be to open a doggy daycare/rescue. For some reason I just feel an affinity for all dogs. And because I am not worried about "thread jacking" myself, here are pics of the girls

20150729_221119.jpg 20150729_221152.jpg

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1438565869|3910325 said:
Rockinruby|1438563974|3910307 said:

Thanks for the kind words, Rockinruby! I want to foster rescue dogs desperately, but DH is allergic, so we have 2 hypoallergenic dogs at home (maltese and cockapoo) who we adore :) One of my "dream" jobs if the current path doesn't work out (or if money were no object) would be to open a doggy daycare/rescue. For some reason I just feel an affinity for all dogs. And because I am not worried about "thread jacking" myself, here are pics of the girls

20150729_221119.jpg 20150729_221152.jpg

Oh my goodness! They are both so adorable! :appl: I'm glad I asked because this is the best threadjack ever! Lol. Actually I wouldn't mind thread jacking if it always involved photos of cute pups. :naughty: Allergies are tough, but at least you've found breeds that don't bother your DH. I love being around animals too! The idea of having a daycare or rescue is wonderful! Your fur kids are so cute! Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results