shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Antique Round

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Today my hubby took me to a local jewelry store that was recommended to us by family, in hopes that I could try on several different styles to narrow down our search for a new engagement / wedding ring. (Mine was lost) I had posted here about a week ago and was very confused about what I wanted. My problem is that I like almost all diamond shapes / cuts and I'm changing my mind every week about what kind of ring would be practical with my lifestyle, which is casual. I've gone back and forth a few times between wanting a ring with a center stone, something simple like a solitaire in platinum, and wanting a stack of bands only.

I tried an east-to-west set emerald cut that was dainty and beautiful, a few brilliant cuts, some modern and antique cushions…

Hubby was more opinionated than I was, rejecting almost everything I tried on. But in the end we both really likes this Antique cut round. We spent some time comparing it to a modern round brilliant, but although the round brilliant was perfect, the antique cut definitely had more character and just a softer look to it. It was shooting off some beautiful flashes of warm pastel tones inside the store and out in the street.

I took some photos….

Stats

1.72 ct
Color : K/L
VS2
7.33 X 7.48 X 4.88
Ring size is 4.5
Price was $15,800 for the diamond in this setting.

Looking through the loupe I could see some light leakage, and you can see it here too on image #2. But the diamond seemed lively and just gorgeous to my untrained eye.

My question is, do you guys think I could do better on an antique round for the price? I wasn't 100% sold on the setting, I think I'm spoiled by looking at all the gorgeous Leon Mege creations. I have considered just having the diamond sourced by Leon but I'm not sure if the quality I'll be getting will be similar to this or better through him?

Any thoughts?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems a bit overpriced to me tbh. Is there a cert on the stone?

Here is a slightly smaller OEC EGL K VS1 for $8250.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-.../1-64ct-old-european-cut-diamond#.Vb157_lViko

And a 1.74 GIA K VS1 for $9950
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-1-74ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-vs1/

Or for the same price you could get a recently cut antique style round with ideal optical performance - AGD 1.70 J VS2 for $13,185
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-70ct-j-vs2-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

How do you know the diamond has leakage? Diamonds, especially old ones with larger facets, are supposed to have an on/off pattern, where some look darker at times. And the large open culet (the circle at the center bottom) is supposed to be there.

The setting is beautiful - do you know if it is original antique? Is it platinum? They just don't make them like that much any more. ;(

That said, if you love it I think it's worth haggling over price a bit.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1438480500|3909913 said:
[/url]

1.72 ct
Color : K/L
VS2
7.33 X 7.48 X 4.88
Ring size is 4.5
Price was $15,800 for the diamond in this setting.

Any thoughts?
No such grade as K/L color. Does the stone come with a lab report?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1438481999|3909918 said:
No such grade as K/L color. Does the stone come with a lab report?

He had a GIA report, but would not give me a copy of it, he just let me write down the stats, I believe the report stated "K" as the color.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
ecf8503|1438481444|3909916 said:
It seems a bit overpriced to me tbh. Is there a cert on the stone?

Here is a slightly smaller OEC EGL K VS1 for $8250.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-.../1-64ct-old-european-cut-diamond#.Vb157_lViko

And a 1.74 GIA K VS1 for $9950
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-1-74ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-vs1/

Or for the same price you could get a recently cut antique style round with ideal optical performance - AGD 1.70 J VS2 for $13,185
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-70ct-j-vs2-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

How do you know the diamond has leakage? Diamonds, especially old ones with larger facets, are supposed to have an on/off pattern, where some look darker at times. And the large open culet (the circle at the center bottom) is supposed to be there.

The setting is beautiful - do you know if it is original antique? Is it platinum? They just don't make them like that much any more. ;(

That said, if you love it I think it's worth haggling over price a bit.

The setting was made in-house by this jeweler. I do not believe it is bench made or handmade, since he mentioned a machine that can replicate the same setting for making a new ring custom. It's really pretty, looks like a crown with the stone nested within. To me, it doesn't look like it has the same attention to detail than a Leon Mege or Victor Canera, though.

I thought I saw leakage above the cult to the right. You can see my skin color through the diamond. Pretty sure that's leakage but correct me if I'm wrong. When I looked at the diamond through the loupe those small circular areas where see-through. I could see my finger on the other side.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
The August Vintage wouldn't leave much for the setting. Our budget initially was closer to 10K. I'm basically between getting it locally through this jeweler, or having Leon M. do the whole thing. I was wondering if this diamond is comparable to what Leon can source, or if his stones are generally better quality for the price, but I guess I can't really know unless I see Leon's in person.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really seems like a Leon creation would be a dream ring for you. I would absolutely have a conversation with him personally about what you're interested in. On his website under "Jewelry" there is a category called "Elite Diamonds." I believe these are the antique cuts. Here's a 1.76 OEC K, VS2 (GIA) for $8000. That would leave you with enough for a gorgeous Leon setting and you'd be getting the stone and setting all in one place.

I think the stone you posted is really pretty, but you're not in love with the setting, so it seems a waste to spend $15,000 on it when you could get the ring of your dreams from Leon for lower (or the same price).

Call him, it wouldn't hurt! :))

https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/elite-diamonds/gia-1.76-old-european-k-vs2-006680-detail

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not loving the cut-faceting of the stone there at your local jeweler's shop; compare it with the OEC's (from Love Affair Diamonds & Jewels by Grace) that ecf8503 linked for you & I think you'll see that the local stone isn't in the same league.

Business may be a little slow now for Leon Megé. He has Make an offer we can't refuse buttons throughout his web site listings -- including the page JDDN provided -- and I don't remember seeing those invites until recently. And we know he accepted an offer 30% below his listing price for a haloed 3-carat padparadscha ring... BUT note he declared, after the fact, this to be a final sale
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-3-carat-pad-maybe-i-made-a-mistake.213543/

So, since the prospect of a LM ring makes your heart sing, this seems like an opportune time to explore that. fyi: it's his trademarked True Antique diamonds which are the newly-cut, old cut-style stones, i.e., his answer to Good Old Gold's patented August Vintage stones. His "elite diamonds" aren't unique, appear to be simply his non-True Antique, in-house inventory.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
I expect you're looking for more technical responses than I can offer you, but for what it's worth I like that ring and yes I really do think old stones have something really special about them and I love their character. My fiancé nearly purchased several, technically excellent modern cushions and I thought I wanted a cushion. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't excited about them somehow, then I realised its the old cushions I love. He found a stunner with an antique diamond dealer and did a deal there and then. Unlike the the moderns we had no asset etc but it fires like mad, is a white colour and really clear under a loupe. So although facets may not be 'perfect' like the machine cut moderns, if it speaks to you then go for it. The olds are in their own realm I think.

_32928.jpg

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
JDDN|1438492233|3909965 said:
It really seems like a Leon creation would be a dream ring for you. I would absolutely have a conversation with him personally about what you're interested in. On his website under "Jewelry" there is a category called "Elite Diamonds." I believe these are the antique cuts. Here's a 1.76 OEC K, VS2 (GIA) for $8000. That would leave you with enough for a gorgeous Leon setting and you'd be getting the stone and setting all in one place.

I think the stone you posted is really pretty, but you're not in love with the setting, so it seems a waste to spend $15,000 on it when you could get the ring of your dreams from Leon for lower (or the same price).

Call him, it wouldn't hurt! :))

https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/elite-diamonds/gia-1.76-old-european-k-vs2-006680-detail

+ 1
I agree it sounds as if a LM makes your heart sing. I would at least call or explore the LM option before deciding. :wavey:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard to tell from photos how nice the stone is as the olds seem particularly difficult to photograph. The price seems high to me. Someone here once gave me the advice to take my time choosing an old diamond. Each one has it's own special character and there will be one you can't live without : )
One thing you can do for reference is look at the videos at Jewels by Grace. If you are in love with the current stone, make sure you look at it in all sorts of lighting, not just in-store, do your research and make an offer.
Best of luck!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the settings Grace's bench from Jewels by Grace and Erika Winters (both are separate benches) make and Erica from Love Affair Diamonds and Caysie's settings? All 3 are cheaper than Leon and create nicer settings IMHO than your mass produced setting pictured. All of them could handmake a setting like that for you and both vendors sell stunning genuine cut stones as well...

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
arkieb1|1438611940|3910455 said:
Have you seen the settings Grace's bench from Jewels by Grace and Erika Winters (both are separate benches) make and Erica from Love Affair Diamonds and Caysie's settings? All 3 are cheaper than Leon and create nicer settings IMHO than your mass produced setting pictured. All of them could handmake a setting like that for you and both vendors sell stunning genuine cut stones as well...

Actually it was the stone I liked, the setting I was not 100% sure was my style.

I'm going to go check out the artists you mentioned.

I've been exploring other options, and I really like Victor Canera's Evelyn. It feels Edwardian inspired without being ornate.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Boo247|1438535961|3910137 said:
I expect you're looking for more technical responses than I can offer you, but for what it's worth I like that ring and yes I really do think old stones have something really special about them and I love their character. My fiancé nearly purchased several, technically excellent modern cushions and I thought I wanted a cushion. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't excited about them somehow, then I realised its the old cushions I love. He found a stunner with an antique diamond dealer and did a deal there and then. Unlike the the moderns we had no asset etc but it fires like mad, is a white colour and really clear under a loupe. So although facets may not be 'perfect' like the machine cut moderns, if it speaks to you then go for it. The olds are in their own realm I think.

Thank you for this. You are so right, and your story is so sweet. Your ring is stunning!

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
MollyMalone|1438500581|3909990 said:
I'm not loving the cut-faceting of the stone there at your local jeweler's shop; compare it with the OEC's (from Love Affair Diamonds & Jewels by Grace) that ecf8503 linked for you & I think you'll see that the local stone isn't in the same league.

So, since the prospect of a LM ring makes your heart sing, this seems like an opportune time to explore that. fyi: it's his trademarked True Antique diamonds which are the newly-cut, old cut-style stones, i.e., his answer to Good Old Gold's patented August Vintage stones. His "elite diamonds" aren't unique, appear to be simply his non-True Antique, in-house inventory.

So I'm not sure what the difference is between his True Antique and the Elite stones, can you elaborate?

Thank you for your feedback on the stone, you are right that the stone that was linked at Jewels by Grace looks more cleanly cut vs. the photo I posted. That stone is on hold though.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Will Victor Canera set an OEC from Jewels by Grace?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually the "new cut olds" are more precisely cut. I like the olds because they have a history and, to me, a bit of extra personality. It is a matter of taste and I am assuming the new old cuts may have better light return.

I set mine in a very inexpensive stock setting [with the prongs shaved down] that was supposed to be temporary, but I like so much it will be a long time before I go for anything else. But I do love the settings of vendors mentioned here!
joy_day3.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1438612759|3910466 said:
So I'm not sure what the difference is between his True Antique and the Elite stones, can you elaborate?
Thank you for your feedback on the stone, you are right that the stone that was linked at Jewels by Grace looks more cleanly cut vs. the photo I posted. That stone is on hold though.
Yes, I was sorry to see that stone on JbG's is on hold; but it's an example of why I think you can do better than the diamond in the ring at your local jeweler's shop. It irks me how some jewelers are now seeking to cash in on the increased popularity of vintage-antique cuts & charging premium prices for old stones (which sometimes are actually of more recent provenance) that are not of corresponding high caliber. Not every stone that was cut "back when" is a pleasing, good example of its genre; just 'cause a stone is old doesn't mean it's worth your consideration and money, there are lots of old duds floating around just as there are recently cut duds in the marketplace.

I'm sorry my explanation was unclear, so let me try again. LM's "glamour" studio shots all look to be of stones he has at hand, i.e., not those he could obtain from "virtual" inventories, stones in the possession of other dealers. He characterizes the stones depicted in those studio pics as either True Antique or Elite Diamonds. So if a stone is not a True Antique (contemporary versions of OECs & OMCs cut to offer better performance) then it's an "elite", which sounds more prestigious than "stones I have purchased for resale or taken in on consignment" ;))

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
MollyMalone|1438616276|3910486 said:
omd21|1438612759|3910466 said:
Yes, I was sorry to see that stone on JbG's is on hold; but it's an example of why I think you can do better than the diamond in the ring at your local jeweler's shop. It irks me how some jewelers are now seeking to cash in on the increased popularity of vintage-antique cuts & charging premium prices for old stones (which sometimes are actually of more recent provenance) that are not of corresponding high caliber. Not every stone that was cut "back when" is a pleasing, good example of its genre; just 'cause a stone is old doesn't mean it's worth your consideration and money, there are lots of old duds floating around just as there are recently cut duds in the marketplace.

I'm sorry my explanation was unclear, so let me try again. LM's "glamour" studio shots all look to be of stones he has at hand, i.e., not those he could obtain from "virtual" inventories, stones in the possession of other dealers. He characterizes the stones depicted in those studio pics as either True Antique or Elite Diamonds. So if a stone is not a True Antique (contemporary versions of OECs & OMCs cut to offer better performance) then it's an "elite", which sounds more prestigious than "stones I have purchased for resale or taken in on consignment" ;))

Ok, I understand now what you meant in your previous post about "True Antique" vs. "Elite". Thank you so much for taking the time to explain.

You are right about not all old stones being great. At the jewelry store this past weekend I saw three different antique rounds, the other two were awful. This one I posted did have, however, really nice fire, even if it may not seem as nice on my photos.

I compared that stone to a round brilliant inside the store and out in the street and its performance was almost as good as the round brilliant. Now, I don't know if the round brilliant was a top of the line cut but they were both shooting off crazy amounts of rainbows in daylight outside.

I wished I could compare an August Vintage or a Canera cut diamond to what I saw at the store this weekend. It would be so much better to see it all in person.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you had the time to watch some of the many YouTube videos of August Vintage cuts, alone and alongside modern cushions & rounds, that GOG has posted? That's the best thing I can think of, short of ordering one of the August Vintage stones & taking it to the jewelry store.

Based on the posted pics, I think your lack of enthusiasm for the setting itself is wholly justified; it leaves a lot to be desired. I forget, is the jeweler willing to sell the stone separately (and what's his asking price for the stone alone); if so, is he also willing you to give an unconditional refund if you return the stone within, say, 15 days to 4 weeks? I suspect not, but there's no reason not to ask him.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
omd21|1438613388|3910469 said:
Will Victor Canera set an OEC from Jewels by Grace?

Yes, he will set stones from JbG. From what I understand, I think it is GOG's AVC that Victor doesn't set. It is on his website.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne said:
Usually the "new cut olds" are more precisely cut. I like the olds because they have a history and, to me, a bit of extra personality. It is a matter of taste and I am assuming the new old cuts may have better light return.

I set mine in a very inexpensive stock setting [with the prongs shaved down] that was supposed to be temporary, but I like so much it will be a long time before I go for anything else. But I do love the settings of vendors mentioned here!
joy_day3.jpg

I really like this setting! May I ask where you got it?

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
OP- you might want to try Adam at Old World Diamonds... this is his specialty, and he would be able to create a setting very similar to the one above. I found his prices to be very fair, and competitively priced. He has a lot more than what he posts on his website, try his YouTube channel...also, you may just try emailing him your specs and budget and he can begin the hunt. Like many of the other posters on this topic, I agree, the diamond you shared seems a bit overpriced. LM is a great option too, as is Grace, she is lovely! Good luck!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results