shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone live in Panama, Belize or Costa Rica?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering retirement options (and let me say up front this little event is 15 years away...!) and I am reading more and more about Panama, Belize and Costa Rica. I'm not looking to simply recreate my US life in another place (which I think is the downfall to some people if they aren't willing to adapt), but I'm really heading in for a whole new adventure.

Does anyone (especially any US ex-pats) live in these three places? My initial thought is that I would like to be in a beach town, but I am flexible on that. Preference for a single family home runs high, but I would be willing to consider a unit in a larger building, particularly for the first year while I figure things out. And own vs. rent is also an open question.

I have spent considerable time in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, Peru and Ecuador, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with Latin/South American culture.

Any and all thoughts are welcome! And did I mention we've got some time to talk this over...? Like 15 years worth of time!!!

Whadda think? Anyone want to come and hang out on the beach with me?!? :cheeky:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I have no solid advice. Just wanted to say that I have been to Belize and found it to be hot as Hades! But, yes, I'd come hang out with you on the beach! LOL

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Because I have friends who were very interested in doing the same thing, about a year ago I did a lot of research.

An article was written by an American man who lived in Costa Rica many years as a retiree and he advised against it - he listed the pros and cons and the cons were considerable - mainly the one that frightened me the most - Chagas disease. (American trypanosomiasis)

If it were me, I'd settle in some beautiful tropical place in the US such as Sanibel Island, FL or Hawaii. I've visited Costa Rica, Belize and Panama as a tourist and the heat and humidity nearly knocked me over, too.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chagas disease is mainly a problem in mud or exposed brick houses, with cracks where the bug hides during the day, or if you are eating unwashed fruits and vegetables (which you shouldn't for a huge variety of reasons).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a condo in Panama though its not our permanent residence. It probably took us 2 years to get the title on the condo, nightmare... Anyway, visit the place first, get a feel for it. I was down there for a month and thought I was gonna die from the heat...lol But it depends on where you want to live. Our place is in Panama City. Since we live in the NE, we take Copa from Boston, which is a direct flight for us.

With the election of the new President, he wants to make it harder to get residency, so keep that in mind that things could be changing. The US expat community down there is really nice and so amazing. They will help you do things that if you tried to do on your own would be a huge hassle...like, getting a bank account there.

As far as residency, some who choose not to go that route just leave and come back at regular intervals , but if you do that, make sure you come back to the US instead of going to the surrounding countries ( at border crossings, they've caught on and will shake you down for cash).

You should be able to get around well if you're spanish is decent. If not, definitely time to bone up, its a necessity.

There's a expat facebook and yahoo boards for Panama which are pretty popular.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I have no info for you, I just wanted to give you an internet high five for considering such a cool adventure!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LilM – You are always welcome! We will dunk ourselves in the water and drink cold prosesso to help deal with the heat!

Sky, thank you for the info on the article. I’ve been reading A LOT about what “real people” who have made a move like this have to say. As with anything, both sides get plenty of press. I would *consider* the right place in the US but I have yet to find what that might be. Frankly, I like the idea of an adventure in retirement. For some reason moving to Florida seems like just the step before death (i.e., I’ve given up; now I live in Boca and play golf every Tuesday with The Ladies while I wait for my time to come), but moving “somewhere else” is much more appealing. And I’m not saying I’m RIGHT about this, that’s just what goes through my head!

Lady D – yeah, unwashed fruits and veggies aren’t really on my list of things to consume -- in any country, including this one! :cheeky: I appreciate you explaining this disease though and I will definitely look into ALL SORTS of medical maladies to figure out how best to survive (well) in whatever environment I end up in.

Arcadian, your post was wonderful – THANK YOU! I’ve been reading blog after blog about expat communities and the common thread is the willingness to help newcomers. How refreshing! I hope to be in a position someday to offer help to another person who might need it! Excellent point about the new president… I am learning as much as I can about the political situations, but I have to keep in mind that 15 years is a long time and potentially a couple of leaders away. That’s one of the things that makes this difficult. As for Spanish, I start classes on Tuesday! Actually, I’ve always wanted to take Spanish (for some reason I took Latin in school… WTF?) and even if I don’t end up in Latin/South America I am still going to learn this.

Jane, thank you for the awesome post!!! So many people in real life look at me like I’ve grown a second head when I mention this. Your words mean a lot to me!

There’s so much to consider… I’ve only reached the tip of the ice berg but I’m looking into healthcare, residency requirements (which can feed into significant things like access to healthcare through the state system), income requirements, real estate (buy v. rent, where – which is a HUGE question), currency and economic stability, political issues (which again are impossible to predict so far out), etc. I plan on starting to travel there in earnest very soon so I can get a feel for different places.

Any and all other info, suggestions, etc., are most welcome!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ecuador is #1 place to retire this year. Spain and Portugal are still in the top 10 on most lists. Fifteen years is a long time, no way to predict what will be relatively safe then. But you can still have a great time visiting places. I did a lot of research on Ecuador last year and while touted as the place to be, found on some ex-pat lists that it can be challenging. Hope you find your paradise.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1438364893|3909486 said:
Ecuador is #1 place to retire this year. Spain and Portugal are still in the top 10 on most lists. Fifteen years is a long time, no way to predict what will be relatively safe then. But you can still have a great time visiting places. I did a lot of research on Ecuador last year and while touted as the place to be, found on some ex-pat lists that it can be challenging. Hope you find your paradise.

Ecuador is beautiful but as you mentioned, has its issues. Good spanish is a must there. We have friends there that love it, I'm going to go again in October (for Galapagos this time around though) IMO its worth visiting not only for that reason but its really beautiful place. I much prefer being in Quito though as its not as hot and humid.

I've heard that Colombia is also up and coming, but well...you'd never get me to go there by myself unlike Ecuador or Panama...jus' sayin....

OP, don't feel bad for not taking spanish before now. I took 4 years of french. Not that it did me any good...lol

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata, I have read the same things about Portugal but I can't wrap my brain around the idea of potentially having to learn Portuguese as well as Spanish, depending on how things pan out in the next decade and a half... :cheeky:

Arcadian, several years ago I did a big Ecuador trip (by myself, no less). First though I stopped in Peru ad hiked Machu Pichu, and ultimately I ended up in the Galapagos Islands. It was a really great adventure, and I actually didn't mind being alone at all, even in Quito and Guayaquil. Then again, I went to Cuba by myself for 8 days with nothing but a wad of cash and the hope that the Canadian embassy would take pity on me if something happened, so I'm probably not the best judge of the things that sane people do in terms of travel, ha ha. I will be very excited to hear about your Galapagos adventure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results