shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruckus pearls

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Sunday's pearl. A redo of two color citrine pendent and Edison pearl (pink top to orange bottom)

img_0456.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
This is a strand of Sea of Cortez mabes that is from Sarah and Kojima Pearl ( you can find it on the Kojima site). I got to model it and wish it was mine. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it :love: :love: :love: I did buy the matching earrings. (no picture of them yet).

img_8800.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
That is a fantastic set, Kay! Looks great with your Keira strand and your skin colour. You will be glad you got the matching earrings. The GSS also looks lovely, plump and juicy, like a pineapple, indeed! Can't wait to see more photos.

4RG, that pendant is stunning :clap:

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
And those mabes... SIGH. So beautiful.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Once again, I offer my heartfelt thanks to you lovely ladies for all the pictures and descriptions. I truly appreciate it as I can probably never attend such an event. I live vicariously through you. Thank you. :appl:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Tucs

Our Octogirl taught us how to make a ring. It seems that most of the ruckus years some brave soul teaches us how to do something. I am not crafty at all. The year that Hisano taught stringing she had to remove so many knots that she just went ahead and strung mine for me. Last year Pattye taught how to make a wonderful leather cord with beads and pearls necklace, all I can say is thank goodness for bff and NL took pity on me and made mine. I still have all the parts of the nest earrings from the Malibu year. Octogirl challenged me to give it a go. We made rings or at least I tried to :naughty:

img_0437.jpg

img_8801.jpg

img_0439.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
The challenge was if I would at least give it a go and if I failed I could chose any of the samples for mine. With a challenge like that there was no way on gods green earth I was not going to at least try. Midway through I started having problems so Octogirl took pity on me and helped me. I can now at least say that I have made 50% of a ring. The good side is hers and the not so good is mine. I am thrilled never the less.

img_8802.jpg

img_8803.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love Sarah's SoC mabe necklace. 4RanchGirl thanks for the neck shots and please post photos of your new earrings sometime.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to encourage readers to visit Kojima Pearl Blog, Sarah has a fabulous post on the 2015 Ruckus with photos on her blog, along with blog posts on her recent visit to the Sea of Cortez vacation at harvest time. :love: :love: :love:

Thank you all for sharing your journey and photos. Priceless!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1438283523|3909122 said:
Fly Girl if you got a pearl out of his desk :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: there are only very special ones in there. You are a very lucky girl :appl: :appl: :appl: so your chocolates are special. He usually has a box in the vault of them the natural and dyed. My strand of blues were in a paper sack in the desk as well as the pearl I wore on Sunday.

So, when we call PP, it's like Let's Make a Deal? We tell Monty Hall we want the pearls behind Desk Drawer #1? :lol:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got the impression that a number of the staffers like to collect special pearls. One told me he had been collecting three-color Tahitians for years, and was nowhere near getting enough for a strand. Jeremy's round chocolate browns were not quite ready for an entire strand. I figured the two smaller deep chocolate pearls I selected would have been destined to be next to the clasp, and they were too pretty to be hidden away on the back of a neck. ;( :naughty: I justified my purchase as rescuing them from that fate. :bigsmile: In the end, PP is in the business of selling pearls, so it is all good. :))

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1438390381|3909608 said:
I got the impression that a number of the staffers like to collect special pearls. One told me he had been collecting three-color Tahitians for years, and was nowhere near getting enough for a strand. Jeremy's round chocolate browns were not quite ready for an entire strand. I figured the two smaller deep chocolate pearls I selected would have been destined to be next to the clasp, and they were too pretty to be hidden away on the back of a neck. ;( :naughty: I justified my purchase as rescuing them from that fate. :bigsmile: In the end, PP is in the business of selling pearls, so it is all good. :))

But, don't we all want the "private reserve," whether it's wine, or pearls, or whatever? Knowing that there are special secret stashes in the desk, aren't those the ones you/we want?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1438397812|3909634 said:
Fly Girl|1438390381|3909608 said:

But, don't we all want the "private reserve," whether it's wine, or pearls, or whatever? Knowing that there are special secret stashes in the desk, aren't those the ones you/we want?

Before my first ruckus, I wondered how the limited numbers of precious and rare pearls would be doled out? Surely, everyone would want the same things, and how were they going to prevent the fights during the ruckus? But, I found that there are lots of rare and unusual pearls at the ruckus, and people have their biases. Some went for the precious and colorful Vietnamese akoya keshi. They were pretty, but I really didn't care about them for myself. Douglas had a couple dozen Sea of Cortez pearl mabes that were formed around vampire crabs. Most people didn't want those, but I simply had to have one. The one-of-a-kind Sea of Cortez necklaces were available for purchase, and went unclaimed. I snagged the SoC bracelet, but many others had looked at it and decided to pass. There are lots of gorgeous Burmese South Sea pearls available, just call and ask. And, those rare, round blue Tahitian strands that Kay and I own which are equally as beautiful as the one 4Ranch Girl has?? Still available for sale on the PP web site and even marked down in price.

Pearl sellers are in the business of selling pearls, not hoarding them. Just decide what you want. In my case, I love smaller Tahitian pearls for earrings. Whenever I see an amazing pair in my sweet spot, I grab them. Lots of other special stuff I simply let pass by.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1438310101|3909306 said:
This is a strand of Sea of Cortez mabes that is from Sarah and Kojima Pearl ( you can find it on the Kojima site). I got to model it and wish it was mine. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it :love: :love: :love: I did buy the matching earrings. (no picture of them yet).

I immediately saw pics of that necklace, and wanted it sososo badly! That necklace is magical! I love the colors of the pearls against the gold. its a knock out

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I talked to Douglas weeks before the ruckus. I needed earrings to match the pearl I purchased last year but knew finding pearls to match would be impossible. I asked for the most wine/ red mabe's of this years harvest this is what I go to choose from.

_32884.jpg

_32885.jpg

_32886.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I selected the three thinking I could make a pendant or ring with the spare. In the mean time I asked for finished jewelry , so he sent a group email out showing items he Could bring, asking for input.

Then he showed this.

_32887.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
It 14k and has a handmade chain. I went wild and DH said yes. By the way, it's a pendant and earrings.
The pendant is "U" grade and is indigo, green to wine. The earrings are bright multi color and are AAA grade.
This is s new jeweler from Mexico City. Douglas had more pieces from him

_32888.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I bought two of the three mabe's and took them to Sarah at Kojima Pearl and her husband set them for me. Before/ after and the pendant they will go with.

_32889.jpg

_32890.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The new set of Sea of Cortez

_32891.jpg

_32892.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My new Sea of Cortez earrings with the TDF necklace. I love the fact that they are different colors and tiny.

sea-of-cortez-_glowing-from-within_-necklace-july-2015-1-e1437084205397.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1438399755|3909645 said:
Before my first ruckus, I wondered how the limited numbers of precious and rare pearls would be doled out? Surely, everyone would want the same things, and how were they going to prevent the fights during the ruckus? But, I found that there are lots of rare and unusual pearls at the ruckus, and people have their biases. Some went for the precious and colorful Vietnamese akoya keshi. They were pretty, but I really didn't care about them for myself. Douglas had a couple dozen Sea of Cortez pearl mabes that were formed around vampire crabs. Most people didn't want those, but I simply had to have one. The one-of-a-kind Sea of Cortez necklaces were available for purchase, and went unclaimed. I snagged the SoC bracelet, but many others had looked at it and decided to pass. There are lots of gorgeous Burmese South Sea pearls available, just call and ask. And, those rare, round blue Tahitian strands that Kay and I own which are equally as beautiful as the one 4Ranch Girl has?? Still available for sale on the PP web site and even marked down in price.

Pearl sellers are in the business of selling pearls, not hoarding them. Just decide what you want. In my case, I love smaller Tahitian pearls for earrings. Whenever I see an amazing pair in my sweet spot, I grab them. Lots of other special stuff I simply let pass by.
Thank you for explaining, Fly Girl. I was under the impression that special items fly home with various attendees. I guess I took to heart the stories of Mikey and his suitcase, and people buying items off the hood of a Tesla before they even got inside.

4RG, I love your new SoC mabe earrings, but "tiny"? Define tiny. :angel:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Ennui my earrings are 11.8mm and compared to most of the mabe I have seen they are tiny. But to me they are perfect.

"special items fly home with various attendees" yes Ennui they do. What is special to one is not special to another. Mikeyy's suit case does exist and it holds very special pearls. This year they were not what I was looking for but for others absoutely. Did I need another golden ss pendent? No but it was exactly what Kay was looking for and I emailed her a picture as soon as I saw it and with in minutes it was hers and she was not even there and the ruckus had not even started yet. Is it special absoutely and just wait and see what she is doing to it. " people buying items off the hood of a Tesla before they even got inside" yes that happened too. The light was really good there and the car hood was large enough to spread out and it was availiable all very impromptu. Yes someone was just arriving with her suit case that I pulled over to see what was happening. Did she end up with pearls? Yes. One of our friends had an emergency and was not able to come at the last minute....I emailed pictures all weekend long to her of pearls that were on her list. I will let her say who she is. Did she get spectatular pearls? Of course she did? Others of our group were shopping for absent friends too. Have I seen or heard of "sour grapes" because someone got a spectatular pearl? No, only happiness that someone found exactly what they were longing for.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Ennui. Douglas arrived on late Friday afternoon the shuttle last year and started selling on the hood of the early Saturday morning. It was on the hood of the Tesla actually the left fender. The car was parked in the shade, and the light was perfect. I did post the photos of Douglas arriving wearing a strand of pearls from the airport, the car and ladies buying off it as well as Mikeyys suitcase filled with pearls here and on the other site which it is still visible in many photos. It's not a urban legend.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Douglas after arrival Fri night,
On the hood of the Tesla Saturday morning
Mike and the suitcase

ruckus2014_119.jpg

tesla.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The suitcase

ruckus2014_150.jpg

ruckus2014_151.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1438515195|3910030 said:
Ennui. Douglas arrived on late Friday afternoon the shuttle last year and started selling on the hood of the early Saturday morning. It was on the hood of the Tesla actually the left fender. The car was parked in the shade, and the light was perfect. I did post the photos of Douglas arriving wearing a strand of pearls from the airport, the car and ladies buying off it as well as Mikeyys suitcase filled with pearls here and on the other site which it is still visible in many photos. It's not a urban legend.

I know it's not an urban legend. My point is that it makes it sound like a feeding frenzy. Vendors can't even make it into the house before they are waylaid in the parking lot. :)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1438528414|3910092 said:
NacreLover|1438515195|3910030 said:

I know it's not an urban legend. My point is that it makes it sound like a feeding frenzy. Vendors can't even make it into the house before they are waylaid in the parking lot. :)

This year Douglas wisely brought many more pearls, as well as more finished jewelry, and thus there were quite a few baggies of Sea of Cortez pearls to look over and choose from. Still, these pearls are so very rare that they only harvested 2,800 this year. If you are looking for a very specific color or shape, it might take a few years. This year's harvest tended to be rounder bluish silver pearls. I know that 4Ranch Girl has a specific color of pearl in mind, but Douglas didn't have it. He does hold out hope, because not all of this year's harvest has been graded. Then, there is always next year. When she finally gets it, and I bet that she will, it will be a very, very special pearl.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo did ask Mikyye Thursday evening to open his suitcase which he did. We came a day early and were sitting around the table in the kitchen. The rest set up after the program Saturday after the programs were over. There were some special items that did not sell, but they were over a thousand dollars, one $18,000

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here are Marianne's Sea of Cortez from last year. I love the way she decided to set them...she beaded them. How creative is that? Next year I might get a couple for her to do that way. The earrings are wonderful too. :love: She picked up lots more of Douglas's pearls this year and I can't wait to see what she does with them.

Those are HIsano's nails aren't they fun?

img_8827.jpg

img_8828.jpg

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Many thanks, everyone, for sharing details and photos of your purchases! There is so much going on at the Ruckus and all at once; no one can possibly take it all in, so it's wonderful to pop over here and see what I missed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results