shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it safe to wear a sapphire in the pool?

picante27

Shiny_Rock
So, I'm a newbie here and just got a sapphire set in my ring. It's unheated/untreated and the metal is platinum. There's also small irradiated blue diamonds in the setting.
Is it safe to wear the ring in the swimming pool? I've always worn my diamond ring, but this is my first sapphire and i want to make sure I don't damage it.
Thanks!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always been told things like bleach and chlorine are bad for both metals and coloured stones.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
It's a rock.

It's fine.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I've probably worn my sapphire in the pool over 100 times and so far so good! They are quite durable. The bigger risk is the ring slipping off in the water or scratching on the rough side of the pool.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really you wear sapphires swimming? I wore a plain yellow gold and diamond band diving and scratched the bejeepers out of it... I've also cracked and smashed to pieces both decent sized diamonds and coloured stones and chipped a number of smaller stones... so now I baby everything.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mm, I seldom take my jewelry off, unless under the shower or when sleeping. But the pool is a no go area. Even for me. You run the risk of breaking or damaging it. I had a ring with gypsy set diamonds and I managed to smash a lot of them in the pool. Probably on the side/ridge of the pool. There is no way I would risk damaging my sapphire. The water itself is not the problem, but you might easily damage something during whatever activities.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Well now I'm even more paranoid about it! So it sounds like the chlorine is not the concern, it's more the risk of scratching or losing it. I have read that chlorine can damage gold, but don't know if the same is true for platinum.
I'm the kind of person who hardly ever removes jewelry, only for cleaning maybe once a week. I just sort of forget about it till I'm swimming and then think, hmm maybe i should've taken it off!

Thanks for the feedback!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results