shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet Foster Moms- How Do You Do It?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our foster dog went to her new home yesterday. The people are super sweet and we had a nice 3 week transition in which they visited the dog and she got to spend time at their house with their dog and their teen children.

I am worried sick about her. What if she gets out and runs away? What if she chews too much of their stuff up even though they said they would work with her? Is she confused and missing us?

I want to call the people but don't want to make them feel I don't trust them and they promised to call me if it doesn't work out. How do you guys deal with this worry and guilt when your foster dog or cat leaves?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for being a foster! Yes, it does get easier. I just got two adopted in the past two weeks. It helps knowing that sadly, there is ALWAYS a good dog looking for a home so one getting adopted means you saved one and now have room to save another through fostering. Also, I try not to pick fosters that I will fall for. I am a pug lover so I tend to not to foster them out of fear they will stick. :twirl: I usually follow up after 3-4 days with a short how is it going email and it has always been well received. She is probably doing just fine with the change. Dogs are pack animals and are used to switching packs/families. Not like us where we would be devasted to leave our families. It sounds like her new family put a lot of thought into getting her so I am sure it is a good situation. It is hard to say goodbye, but I hope knowin thatg you helped her find a forever home brings a smile to your face.

Below is a pic of one of my fosters that just got adopted in his new home. I love how happy he looks.

_32586.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks kgizo! Your former foster pup certainly looks happy and your words gave me comfort. We weren't planning to foster but a rescue group trapped this dog that had been on the run for awhile so we offered to keep it for the weekend and place her with animal control on the following Monday. But we kept her until she got adopted. We lost our 16 year old baby girl dog in February and this dog reminded me of her. I think I was not prepared to be a foster and that is why I am taking it so hard. Thank you for all the good you do by fostering dogs. I think I will send an email on Thursday. Thanks again!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN, Thank you posting this thread and for being so honest about how you have felt once the sweet furbaby was adopted. I have often thought about becoming a furbaby foster mom. After reading your post I seriously doubt I could handle it. I had my furbaby for one day and was hopelessly In love with her. Your post broke my heart. I'm so sorry you miss her but I'm sure you made her incredibly happy while she was with you. You did a wonderful thing.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH man, I would LOVE to foster but my husband knows me well enough to know that if I fostered any kind of animal we would soon be overrun. However with any pet I adopt I try to update several times in the first couple of months and then at least twice a year to wherever I got the pet from so that they know what is going on.

Heck, I get attached to stray dogs I pick up on the road and return to their owners, after I've just had them a couple of hours. (For some reason a lot of tiny toy dogs get loose in my neighborhood, and the poor things act like they've never been outdoors before. I literally just pick them up and go knocking on doors until I find where they belong unless their collar has a number to call.)

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to LisaRN and other PS members who foster. I agree that it is one of the hardest things to go through when they leave. It's impossible not to worry about these babies after you have taken care of them. It does get better the more you foster. The other thing I try to focus on is that I can't help another one in need if I don't let the current one go. There are never enough foster homes so you have done an amazing thing for your foster! :clap: This sweet boy left us after over 4 months of having him in our house. We love him dearly! He's doing great & we were honored to be asked to babysit him later in August when his owners go on a trip. It's a different scenario than we normally have, but it has all worked out beautifully so far.
image_3719.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN, I would be the same as you. I'd be worrying and worrying and wondering if the fur baby was okay. Maybe an email would give you some peace of mind? It's not as forward as a phone call perhaps.

Kgizo and Rockinruby: LOVE those sweet faces!!! I just want to give them a snuggle right now!!

I have always wanted to foster and I'm pretty sure we will, but it'll have to wait. I have a toddler and an almost 1 year old and things are just a little crazy in our house. Our 3 and a half year old Golden (who is my avatar when she was a pup) would be so good with a foster too.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update- I sent an email a few days ago and I was told everything is fine and they are going through the "adjustment period." I felt that was an honest response and really believe this family understands that it takes time to bond. Still missing my girl though. If all goes well I will ask to visit next week as they told me I am more than welcome to visit.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results