shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you feel/think about "first time buyers"?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
smitcompton|1437934945|3907717 said:
Hi,

Ok, just thought of one possibility. No public announcement of the names or names. You can say someone has been notified for a volunteer recognition award.

Las vegas people had their reward so they are not eligible. Persons who won Christmas money are not eligible.

It will not be contingent on length of time on PS.

It will be contingent on attitude. Complaints about not winning will automatically disqualify you from the next round.

Annette
Then someone will say that people are getting paid to push the advertisers on PS if it is kept private and comes out.
It is really a can't be won situation for the admin.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1437929366|3907689 said:
Hi,

I think that diamond buying is a hard hard choice and the new buyer really does need help. I find this part of the forum to be the best. The only one i dislike is also the one that decides he needs so many posts going at the same time. nEW THOUGHT-NEW POST.

But, I would like to see the volunteers get some recognition from Admin for their valuable help. Actually they make your business. Id like to see someone like "quarterly volunteer of the yr". I think dinner for two in a casual dining restaurant would be enough to feel appreciated. Las Vegas doesn't do the trick. No post count please. I nominate "Ty-TY" I have no idea who she is, but oh, the time she gives. There used to be Christina, who was so great in helping others. Of course DSS,--who could beat that. Perhaps those that go to Vegas ought not participate in my volunteer program.

I believe you need to recognize these nice people who do give of themselves for others. Sounds weird in conjunction with diamonds, but true non-the-less. Money is not the end-all. But recognition is a good thing.

Annette

That is so sweet of you Annette! <insert blush> I truly enjoy helping and your kind thoughts are much appreciated!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Karl_K|1437951268|3907777 said:
smitcompton|1437934945|3907717 said:
Hi,

Ok, just thought of one possibility. No public announcement of the names or names. You can say someone has been notified for a volunteer recognition award.

Las vegas people had their reward so they are not eligible. Persons who won Christmas money are not eligible.

It will not be contingent on length of time on PS.

It will be contingent on attitude. Complaints about not winning will automatically disqualify you from the next round.

Annette
Then someone will say that people are getting paid to push the advertisers on PS if it is kept private and comes out.
It is really a can't be won situation for the admin.

Unfortunately Karl is right, any awards need to be public to keep the transparency we aim to have on PS.

We have mulled over ideas such as monthly drawings, rewarding users who "maintain" threads, choosing users who have been particularly helpful that month, etc. and have yet to come up with something that will not create bad feelings. We can't seem to win other than random drawings at the holidays, but even then, we get complaints if someone too new wins/someone who doesn't help on RT/someone who only posted for the contest...the list continues. :wall:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Ella|1437971322|

We have mulled over ideas such as monthly drawings, rewarding users who "maintain" threads, choosing users who have been particularly helpful that month, etc. and have yet to come up with something that will not create bad feelings. We can't seem to win other than random drawings at the holidays, but even then, we get complaints if someone too new wins/someone who doesn't help on RT/someone who only posted for the contest...the list continues. :wall:[/quote]

New contest rule...only members with 20K posts will qualify.. :naughty: I like my odds... :praise: :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you let all the members vote for the most helpful poster of the year or every 6 months and you set the list (of x amount of candidates and we vote). No-one gets to complain. And another award for the best photos they post as well you set the list x amount of candidates you pick the numbers - we get to vote that way it is fair for everyone. Don't make it a lose lose for the mods, don't accept any whining and allow us to help pick and no person can win twice.

I think things like your random Xmas giveaways should be more often (like 6 monthly) to make all the members including those that cannot get to the GTGs all feel more included here as well. And there should be one draw at the GTG of someone that does not attend who is a randomly picked member again to make everyone feel included, and that this site is equal for everyone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Over in Colored Stones, we see soooooo many "want blue sapphire ER" threads, that I can't stand to respond anymore.

Luckily, there are many CSer's with the patience of Saints. :halo:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This is a business decision. PSers don't decide the rates you choose for vendors. the amount of space they are given, or how much you spend on Las Vegas. We don't know your revenue stream or profits. We don't know what you are paid, or even how you solicit new vendors.
You certainly don't want a popularity contest. I agree you can only win once.

Please don't turn these men and women into churlish children. Is this the result of everyone gets a gold star always?. Utter nonsense.

Try it again. Disqualify those who complain. I certainly would never think I would even be considered, but there are men who , we see come back and try to help.

I admit, I don't like that Christmas posting stuff. The deserving people can easily be missed. I would use those fundS, not every month, TO JUST SAY THANK YOU. If the women on here are unable to stem jealousy and share a nice gesture, please stop telling yourselves how wonderful you are, because you're not.

I think this is on Admin. Business, business, business

Annette

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
It is indeed on us to make these decisions, but remember that there are many members that do not agree with your rules either. Just because you like those rules Annette doesn't mean everyone does. ;))

One of the great things about PS is the diversity of users, but it also makes it more difficult to accomplish anything nice without complaint. Even in this thread there have been complaints galore about our current offerings. We can't win.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
As Ella mentioned I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but I have not found a good way to do this.

Saying all that and reading some of the thought on this thread, it did spark an idea and maybe we can do something in the near future. I will need to mull over it.

Please go ahead and feel free to give more input on this subject.

Kind regards,
Andrey

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
smitcompton|1438012483|3907960 said:
Hi,

This is a business decision. PSers don't decide the rates you choose for vendors. the amount of space they are given, or how much you spend on Las Vegas. We don't know your revenue stream or profits. We don't know what you are paid, or even how you solicit new vendors.
You certainly don't want a popularity contest. I agree you can only win once.

Please don't turn these men and women into churlish children. Is this the result of everyone gets a gold star always?. Utter nonsense.

Try it again. Disqualify those who complain. I certainly would never think I would even be considered, but there are men who , we see come back and try to help.

I admit, I don't like that Christmas posting stuff. The deserving people can easily be missed. I would use those fundS, not every month, TO JUST SAY THANK YOU. If the women on here are unable to stem jealousy and share a nice gesture, please stop telling yourselves how wonderful you are, because you're not.

I think this is on Admin. Business, business, business

Annette
FYI Annette, we turn most advertisers away after we look at their websites, their upgrade policies, do a few review checks etc. Probably averages about 1 knock back every 6 weeks. And not every advertiser stays - we have expelled a few. Monitoring shilling is a huge task.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer when the only incentive is the feeling you get when helping. I know full well this may not mean the same coming from me as I have won something before, but I don't like how people who never usually post anymore come back at Christmas just to win something. Or how only a select few have the means to make it to LA and those who very much contribute can't make it.

Contribute because you want to contibute. Be a part of this community because you like it, not becuase you get things.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Neil,

I agree with you. I believe for the most part that everyone on the site is contributing in helpful ways because they want to . We want the help to be genuine and to have people contribute not because they are getting a gift.

At the same time, we at PS really appreciate everyone who helps people on this website, which is why we created the JCK GTG and the holiday gifts. It is a bit of a catch 22 because we don’t want people to participate just to win gifts, but we do want to show our thanks, but hopefully we can come up with other new ways to thank people.

We appreciate all constructive suggestions. Unfortunately the suggestions conflict with each other so it does make us more hesitant to come up with contests and gifts.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
JMO, but we have a lot of new people who come on, ask for help, and then leave. They do not stay long enough to make friends on here so they are impartial.

Before they leave, maybe a thread pinned to the top asking them who was the most helpful in their selection process. They already do it in some stores where you are asked at the cash register which of their employees helped you.

Then every few months tally up the names and you have your winner.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ruby59|1438105482|3908372 said:
JMO, but we have a lot of new people who come on, ask for help, and then leave. They do not stay long enough to make friends on here so they are impartial.

Before they leave, maybe a thread pinned to the top asking them who was the most helpful in their selection process. They already do it in some stores where you are asked at the cash register which of their employees helped you.

Then every few months tally up the names and you have your winner.

May I elaborate on this idea a little more? On a forum I used to moderate we had a 'Karma voting' system where members of the forum can 'vote up' someone for giving a good post and 'vote down' for people who are trolling, aggressive etc. I'm not implying this same system would work for PS, but maybe take away the vote down side of the system and have a positive karma vote where new members can easily vote on posts that have given them help? It would be quicker than a stickied thread and would grab the attention of the new members a lot easier!

My only concern would be people abusing the system and constantly voting for members they may have a close association with. But then again they should be able to do that if said acquaintance is providing great information (maybe something for the mods to monitor?)

D_

Shiny_Rock
Oh, the topic has veered quite a bit :) but some people have raised quite a valid point.

I don't know how significant is a dinner voucher for two. It is a nice gesture nonetheless, it's the thought that counts they say, right? (said by the gifter more often then the recipient though).

What about some sort of "medals" or "badges" awarded annually?
This is more permanent and goes under our username, akin to the current Brilliant Rock, Ideal Rock etc.
Categories can be like: most helpful (prosumer), most helpful (trade), most likable/congenial etc.

To promote inclusiveness (and the fact there are more than one super helpful people in this forum), we may have 3 winners per category.
Candidates are nominated by PS members (or as per Ruby's idea).
People then further vote among the shortlisted candidates.
And to respect people's altruism, people may choose to take themselves down from the nominee list or refuse to "wear" the badge even if they won.
Same users can win more than 1 year and more than 1 category (why limit people's potential if they are really really helpful).
So you can see XYZ: most helpful '15, most helpful '17, most congenial '17, best ring photography '18, most positive karma '18

You can even invite suggestions re the categories from the members here and open it up for us to submit badge designs.
So it's truly by the members for the members kind of thing, true to the spirit of community we have been enjoying here. This may also help eliminate the problem of having people show up just to win prizes.

A bit of groundwork for sure, but we'll have to start somewhere if we really want to enhance the community (though the status quo may always seem to be more comfortable at first).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS Admin|1438102667|3908352 said:
Neil,

I agree with you. I believe for the most part that everyone on the site is contributing in helpful ways because they want to . We want the help to be genuine and to have people contribute not because they are getting a gift.

At the same time, we at PS really appreciate everyone who helps people on this website, which is why we created the JCK GTG and the holiday gifts. It is a bit of a catch 22 because we don’t want people to participate just to win gifts, but we do want to show our thanks, but hopefully we can come up with other new ways to thank people.

We appreciate all constructive suggestions. Unfortunately the suggestions conflict with each other so it does make us more hesitant to come up with contests and gifts.

To me, I would love to go to the get together but as a mother of two across the country I don't really have the time or means to. However, in my mind, if somehow I could go, I'd be more interested in a free meal and maybe the ability to see some over the top jewels than possibly winning a gift. I love the idea of giving us a "thank you" but I would imagine a nice dinner and the ability to see nice jewelry in an intimate setting with friends from all over the world would be nice enough.

But then again I don't go.

As for the idea people bring up of money or a gift for the most helpful poster, maybe instead have a "feature" on them. Similar to the "jewel of the week" maybe a "poster of the quarter " or something where their pictures get on the front page. I know for me that makes me feel special.

Just a few other thoughts.

LanaC

Rough_Rock
I would have to be what you would consider a 'first time buyer'. I have purchased (after a lot of research and questions) a few nice gems from people over in the colored stones. I've yet to jump into the water and purchase diamonds. Right now I'm reading, lurking on here :angel: and trying to learn enough so that I'm not dangerous to myself. I greatly appreciate when people take the time to help me understand certain aspects of buying diamonds and colored stones. I know their time is valuable. I also know how frustrating it can be after trying to explain something to someone and it never hits home. I work in animal rescue and I have had to learn the hard way to be patient and keep my emotions in check, because it could mean the difference in life or death for an animal. I've had to fight to keep from hating most of humanity because of what I've seen. Anyway, please be patient with us first time buyers... I, for one am very grateful for your help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results