shape
carat
color
clarity

Don't know if this 2ct. is a good price?? consignment

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at any old cuts like msop suggested? Then can be truly beautiful stones at a really decent price. They also have
the benefit of history behind them which many of us find intriguing.

Unfortunately, most of them are in lower colors because the higher (F,G,H) stones got converted to round brilliants.
Here is a K that faces up the size of a 2 carat stone for example. Most of these stones are not perfect but that's part of
the charm we see in them.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-89ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-si1/

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
RandG|1412249565|3760460 said:
As you look at other stones, don't give up on this stone just yet. You made a fair offer and its always worth staying in touch with the seller. I've made offers on stones that took time to come to fruition, as long as a year or more. Consistently check-in and ask about other stones, as you remind the seller you remain interested. You just never know.

that is actually good advice I figured since I didn't hear from her it was over. I'll check back in a little bit.

I also wonder if the guy even gave her the offer that I submitted bc I'm sure he's getting it out of the deal and since it was pretty low offer, he probably worried about his cut being jeopardized. I don't have her name but maybe next time I go in I can get that information?. He'll give it to me though. He did last year when it was eighteen thousand but I didn't keep the contact information and never contacted her. This time I was working with him he didn't push me to work with her directly.thank you for that idea...

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1411405097|3755287 said:
Here's my take, certainly different than many other people that post here:
1) a VG cut grade may look exactly the same as an EX cut grade. In some cases, a very highly trained eye can tell the difference, in some cases a very slight difference may be seen. In some cases people may actually prefer the VG cut grade based on a number of factors not related to the cut grade- such as LGF- a higher number gives narrower shafts creating less "organized" look.

2) It's a commonly repeated mantra that good cut hides imperfections- I do not find that to be the case at all. It's really a matter of luck, where the imperfection sits, and the nature of the imperfection. I adore eye clean SI2 diamonds because they save tons of money.

3) no one can answer the question about the stone you're looking at except you- and you can see the stone. Make sure to look at it outside the super bright jewelry store spotlights.
Trust your eyes.
The price, at $16k is eminently reasonable based on current market prices for VG cut grade stones of this grade and size. That does not necessarily make it a good deal for you- again, you have to look at it.
Maybe the stone has other GIA graded stones so you can compare?

it is wonderful that I can hear me I am a novice. It's interesting if nothing else. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your two cents! Thank you for your opinion

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1412252529|3760492 said:
Have you looked at any old cuts like msop suggested? Then can be truly beautiful stones at a really decent price. They also have
the benefit of history behind them which many of us find intriguing.

Unfortunately, most of them are in lower colors because the higher (F,G,H) stones got converted to round brilliants.
Here is a K that faces up the size of a 2 carat stone for example. Most of these stones are not perfect but that's part of
the charm we see in them.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-89ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-k-si1/

Thank you MSOP and Tyty33. Few years ago I discovered old mine cut (never heaes of before).I had a little love affair for a while, although I never purchased one. The link you sent me certainly was afordable! I worry about K color since I wear white gold.

Always nice to hear opinions and things to think over as I'm waiting for my dreams to come true.

I'm going to read a bit more but certainly and thankful for you all out there assisting me!! it is so scary to spend your savings on something when you are unsure if you were being ripped off or not. It's good to have the Internet vendors that you provided because I feel that is a safe choice for me. Thank you everybody

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I'm a little suspicious of the consignment seller. He's had the stone for more than a year and telling you the owner has no wiggle room? Owner has had a years worth of wiggle room so either they don't need the money or they are being told no one's interested OR the
Jewler bought it at a discounted price and kept it on his consignment table? Either way I wouldn't trust them. Very interesting thread. Hope you find your dream stone.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Update: Year later. On and off with my search. Have a local jeweler looking for a 1.8 plus, round, eye clean...see what he can turn up for what price.

I called the shop which has the mentioned diamond above. Two years now....still for sale?? They said dripped price to $16k recently (they didnt, it was a year ago that they dropped it). NOT SURE why does hasn't sold other than its a private seller and maybe people just don't have this kind of cash? Or maybe she's too firm and the price is too high? I know that he originally told me she inherited this ring so its no loss to her to sell it. Never heard back with the 12k offer I submitted. Going in today to look at the dining again and to say 12,000k cash as an offer. I am going to ask for her direct number because I question if they even said that it the last offer. Someone suggested maybe the shop owner is taking a cut, therefore encouraging the seller not to reduce.

@@ during this write up I received a call from the local (wholesale) jeweler I contacted for a diamond search. NO GOOD. SI1, J color, GIA about 17_19k. No way. He said he cant compete online pricong (I'd say). Makes the consignment ring look even better. I wish she would drop a bit.

Can anyone tell me, based on the stats for the consignment diamond (originaL listing).....what is the MOST I should pay? I am assuming no tax also on this since private sale....
that is a bonus (I think). GIA is somewhere on this thread.

Thanks for any help on max price for the diamond which started this thread (two years now in the shop)? Hummm.

She should budge from 16k.

SO discouraged :(.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I'd say $12-13k is more than fair given its cut. $16k seems high as you can get some diamonds with better proportions.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
I wish you the best of luck in your diamond search and hope you get this one if that's what your heart desires, but I would be very leery of dealing with someone who I know for a fact has been lying to me. Something about the lack of integrity that rubs me the wrong way.
Good Luck!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Perfect! Thank you! And agree from what little I know! Appreciated it

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Agree something is off not to even negotiate

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
cinnamonstick|1437667919|3906519 said:
Agree something is off not to even negotiate

Agree. Excuse was she was asking 18k and dropped 2k already (that is true but....). Made my offer 12k cash. Guy said she turned down 14k offer already so guess that diMomd quest is over.....

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
Probably best to move on. I can tell you from buying and selling many things, that for someone to be firm on a $16,000 price for two years is not normal and they are not likely to negotiate. Things happen for a reason, maybe this isn't your diamond, sorry.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. Everything happens for a reason..... :) 14k richer today. I may just need to take the advice earlier of the online places/people to search out a diamond 14k and under. Yah, that shop owner is too arrogant for.my taste anyway. Two years? Inheritance or not, who would wait that long to sell? Shop owner kept telling me how retail it was worth $23k. Yah. At the mall....lol! Thank all of you for the fast replies!! :(

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Ocean 16. Definitely my price range and I see it has a great GIA for my budget. Defiantly more my price range.

I own a 1.1round that face up looks 1.25ish (some spread, sem. only "good"), VS2, I, GIA. Table 64% debth 56.4%. Always liked the larger appearance. We had pretty much zero money when purchased this 18 hears ago. Great for us at the time (still is ok....but....). I would want to be sure, for 14/15k cash, the 1.7 above would look substantially larger. I have not looked at 1.7s or so beside my diamond.

I wish I could go and see this White Flash diamond in person with someone to talk me through. Guess that is the bad of online shopping (good is price).

I did find a local cushion for sale [pics attached]. I read that cushion do not show as large as round (actually smaller than several cuts) and this is only a 1.71. $9,200 obo is in my budget for sure! Setting is also pretty I would keep. GIA Bit again, worried this will look nearly "same size" as mine and I would be better off with a 1.8plus round for more $.

I was pretty sad yesterday after the local diamond finder came back with not so great quality diamonds for 17k plus. He even admitted he cannot compete w on-line prices (he said he was wholesale). I guess I'm just very shy with ordering a daimond online when I have no idea on earth what I am doing.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure GIA was clear to read (small)

2.3tw
center cushion 1.71
color H
Vs2
7.09x6.74x4.22mm
Polish excellent
Semmetry good
Florence faint

Setting 118 micro pave , three prong, vs clarity F/G

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Ocean 16,
AGS certificate on the White Flash (looks great but only bc I am seeing Ideal, can't interpret the actual certificate as far as colors and the other information).

AGS and no GIA? That's ok?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about this one?

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R200-45UW6V

It's cut a little deep which brings the diameter down some, but it is still over the 8mm mark. Medium fluorescence is a plus too. Cut looks good on the ASET and with those angles and small table it should be a fiery stone. Without the ASET I wouldn't entirely trust those angles but it looks pretty good. Just throwing it out there.

Then there is this one if you are open to J color stones, though it doesn't hit 2 carats and is under 8mm. Could probably be had for around 12.2-12.3k if you asked about their discount and paid by wire.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-311949

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Pfunk, Thank you! First post is gone....must have been good! Second is definitely in my price range. J....not sure. Not seen a J in person. I wear white gold. Both web pages are reputable? Must be. I will look at the second closer (although not sure what I am really viewing ). Price is right there :) (under actually)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.95-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-311949

Pfunk. I keep looking at this diamond! I need to see a J in person first. My current is GIA I....but a jeweler once said it is more like an H/I. Assuming she knew what she was talking about. This one has a nice GIA (just based on excellent cut, etc). VS2 is very ok with me.....just need to decide on that J color with white gold. Looks a bit yellow in the pic but hard to know.

Is a "diamond like this" in this price range easy to come by in roind (no rush to buy this one today, right?). VERY much in my price range and my husband said "wow" when I shared the price (lol).....that is GOOD. Again, if I need to go up a couple thousand for an I which would be much better, then maybe I should. No regrets. THANK YOU!

You all have been so helpful! More than you know. Speaks volumes strangers help so much. :) :) I can't wait!!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cinnamonstick|1438254602|3908964 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.95-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-311949

Pfunk. I keep looking at this diamond! I need to see a J in person first. My current is GIA I....but a jeweler once said it is more like an H/I. Assuming she knew what she was talking about. This one has a nice GIA (just based on excellent cut, etc). VS2 is very ok with me.....just need to decide on that J color with white gold. Looks a bit yellow in the pic but hard to know.

Is a "diamond like this" in this price range easy to come by in roind (no rush to buy this one today, right?). VERY much in my price range and my husband said "wow" when I shared the price (lol).....that is GOOD. Again, if I need to go up a couple thousand for an I which would be much better, then maybe I should. No regrets. THANK YOU!

You all have been so helpful! More than you know. Speaks volumes strangers help so much. :) :) I can't wait!!

They certainly show the tint strongly in the James Allen videos. Do a side by side comparison with a bunch of I colored stones and you will see that some are very very similar in color. I agree that you need to see them in person. That is what my fiancee and I did and it is how we figured out that J was fine for her. She couldn't tell I from J when table down against a white background, and face up was even tougher. Having said that, J color does show some tint from the sides, moreso in certain lighting. You can also start to see the slight tint when you tilt the diamond. Face up (when well cut) the appearance is quite white. I think I see the tint more because I always look for it in my fiancees engagement ring. I was nervous about her regretting the decision over time, and would obsessively look for the color. It's been a month and a half and she is still over the moon about it. She doesn't notice the tint and/or doesn't care when she sees it.

I don't think you should feel like you have to purchase this ASAP in case it disappears. See if you are comfortable with J's and go from there. It is true there won't be a lot of stones at a weight like 1.95c, but that doesnt mean you should just buy something cuz you're worried someone else may snag it. I might check with James Allen if they can put a hold on it and call it in for idealscope images. I would also ask if they can comment on the J color. Is it a strong J (closer to I) or a weak J (closer to K)? I'd also ask about the crystals and make sure they are eye clean. They almost certainly are in a VS2 but it doesnt hurt to ask.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
SOLD. The 1.95/vs2/J :( was going to call in and ask about the J shade (weak/strong). My gut says stick with "I". I will know more when I can see several local. Ok. Well, that makes it easy now I suppose. Only shy part was the shade. All se was PERFECT! Price was great also. Did a quick search on JA. The I, VS2s near 2cts jump to 15kish. SI1 (which I am not against if eye clean) show some inclusions that look pretty big but maybe that is just the magnification making it seem "worse".

I will go and check out some ovals/round J vs I local and decide so I can move to the next step of the hunt. THANK YOU!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Check back once you have seen some stones and know exactly what you are looking for. Don't worry, we'll help you find a good one.

Also, when you look locally you should check out stones with strong blue fluorescence. See if you can look at them outside on a sunny day. You may notice a bit of a bluish color in that sort of light and it will be good to know if you mind it or not. If you don't, that might open up more possibilities and let you get a diamond at a more comfotable price for you.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey,

How about some of these? The numbers may look wrong but it scored 0 on AGS light performance which I suppose trumps HCA score.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/2.01-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-449580.. - ??May just about be eyeclean but good value if you ask me

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.99-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-264137 - just under the 2 mark but looks crystal clear. Pavilion a bit deep again AGS 0. The 2.01 looks nicer in my opinion.

Going up to an I within your budget does sacrifice on size. Couldn't find anything quite hitting the 8mm mark, but very close:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.80-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-462836 (looks like a very white I).

GIA sticking to ideal proportion numbers:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.90-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-421233 - very nice proportions (better than the others, but no light performance assessment)

Maybe one of those would take your fancy

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
16ocean|1437722438|3906856 said:

Hi Cinnamonstick
It's an I SI1 eye clean
size wise its 7.70x 7.73

some of the James Allen options look nice as well and get you very close to the 8.0mm size

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.90-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-421233 you could call to get light performance assessment and check if it is eye clean

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you 16ocean. :)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Did some homework and diamond viewing. Ready to purchase. Started a new thread asking a few more questions on how to execute with online purchase. TY for all your help! please see new post if you are interested in a few last questions for support :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results