shape
carat
color
clarity

Traveling with pearls -- in hand luggage?

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
This is a silly question I guess, but I'm traveling to Europe and carrying a couple of Pearl strands with me, and while my first impression would be to think that it's better to keep them in my handbag on the plane with me, I'm traveling with my two toddlers and so I think I may not have space. Is it unsafe to put in the suitcase, checked?
I was planning on putting both strands together in one of the boxes they came in, will they run against each other and get scratched? I don't want to bring two boxes to save space.
THanks in advance!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not put any valuables in checked luggage, period. There is simply too much theft.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1438317363|3909330 said:
I would not put any valuables in checked luggage, period. There is simply too much theft.
Agreed. I always hand carry my jewelry on trips.The pearl ruckus is an exception, but normally I leave my better stiff at home, and only take what I am wearing, or perhaps one change. I use a small jewelry roll to protect it. Instead of the original box, I suggest using a small baggy. Your pearls will take up less space. You can tape a bit of tissue over the clasps, if you wish to keep them from rubbing the pearls.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1438335009|3909352 said:
pearlsngems|1438317363|3909330 said:
Agreed. I always hand carry my jewelry on trips.The pearl ruckus is an exception, but normally I leave my better stiff at home, and only take what I am wearing, or perhaps one change. I use a small jewelry roll to protect it. Instead of the original box, I suggest using a small baggy. Your pearls will take up less space. You can tape a bit of tissue over the clasps, if you wish to keep them from rubbing the pearls.

I was going to recommend a soft jewelry roll, those are invaluable to me when I travel!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you pearlsngems, Fly Girl and ckrickett. I will carry them in my handbag, then, we'll see what I can find to put them in, I don't think I have time to buy a jewelry roll this time, but I will get one later.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Place each strand in a small pouch or wrap them in a soft cloth, then place both in the box.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Try wrapping each strand in soft fabric. (Small microfiber cloths work great.) I slip the fabric between the 2 sides of the strand and then roll so the 2 sides don't touch each other. Then bend the roll in half and place each in a separate ziplock bag or fabric pouch.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wear them or leave then home. TSA stole my husband's breitling while going thru TSA pre. Hubby knew immediately after his bag went thru X-ray as they stopped his bag on the conveyor and one of them went inside the machine. Hubby went to put it back on, and it was gone. TSA denied knowledge. This all happened within 5 minutes and 10 feet. TSA did ask him if he was accusing them of stealing it. He got a police report, which indicated that my hubby said he lost it.

Our insurance company wasn't surprised, and paid for the loss.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lady_disdain and Kay -- I think I can do the cloth and ziploc bag.

rocks -- thanks for the warning. Yikes, that is crazy! I had never heard of anything like that. I'm going away on holiday for three weeks, though, so I will take the risk to bring two strands with me. I will cover them well in cloth... and put them in the diaper bag among suppy cups and the like, haha.

Now, I was also planning on bringing a gold watch with me (it's a present for my mom). Now, should I wear it? If I do, I have to put it in a little tray before the X-ray, right? Could someone take it from there?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I've put pearl strands inside socks to save space. Socks are soft. I think wearing them is the best suggestion, but that's not always practical when traveling with small children.

I'm not sure about the gold watch ... ship it FedEx? :confused:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you get TSA Pre you aren't supposed to have to remove your watch , belt or shoes. I think the problem was that hubby's watch was bulky. He went through, and they made him go back, remove the watch and go through again. So, the answer is maybe. A woman's watch shouldn't be nearly as big.....I would wear it.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Security across Europe is totally variable, not just between airports but between termini as well. I've had one bod look between my toes (!) while waved through without anything at another terminus at the same airport. Sometimes you have to have all your electronics in a different tray, sometimes same tray, sometimes switched on, sometimes switched off. Completely unpredictable. You will need zip bags for your small fluids though, and a few spares in your hand luggage are always useful.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
rocks|1438400791|3909653 said:
If you get TSA Pre you aren't supposed to have to remove your watch , belt or shoes. I think the problem was that hubby's watch was bulky. He went through, and they made him go back, remove the watch and go through again. So, the answer is maybe. A woman's watch shouldn't be nearly as big.....I would wear it.

Besides, if someone tells you to remove it and place it on the scanner, it is a lot harder for it go missing in there.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ennui, rocks, pearlescence and Lady-Disdain. I will wear the watch and hope for the best!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I just moved all my jewelry by air from GA to CA. The bag had to be scanned twice but nothing was taken. I would never place anything in my suitcase. TSA lets all watches and Jewelry I've worn go though both types of walk through body scanners. They stop and look at my wrist occasionally but that's it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results