shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice: feathers on 1.6 ct F VS1 AGS000 graded loose diamond

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock
I am considering a diamond (for an e-ring) with feathers that, based on the image on the AGS report (attached), appear to be near the girdle. I have read conflicting opinions on how this may affect durability, and would appreciate any advice that you may be able to provide with respect to this specific stone (specifically the feathers located at the 4 and 10 o'clock positions).

I note that the seller's gemologist (yes, possibly biased) said the stone was eye clean (from both the top and sides) and that the feathers were not an issue. I have not yet seen the stone and when/if purchased will bring it to an independent gemologist for full inspection. The stone can be returned but I would prefer not to waste my time if there is an obvious problem.

Any advice that you may be able to provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• AGS000 1.6 ct F VS1.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 120

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock
Re: Advice: feathers on 1.6 ct F VS1 AGS000 graded loose dia

Anyone?? I am on the fence and need to purchase today if I'm going to go for it.

Thanks so much.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is no concern whatsoever about inclusions in a VS1! Those feathers will be tiny in reality! I have VS1 and I love it because I really can't even see a thing with a 10x loupe! So congratulations on your new stone and don't forget to come back with pictures!!! (My stone is almost identical except G VS1!)

I don't really think any extensive evaluation is required other than to have someone verify for you that the stone is the one on the grading report. And I don't even bother with that depending on who the vendor is.

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much for your reply!

So, if the feathers (placement near the edge of girdle) were a concern in terms of durability/chipping would the diamond have a lower clarity grade? I can't see how else strength would be graded if only considering the 4Cs. Or is this something that would be obvious in an ASET?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nothing to worry about in a VS1 stone.

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock

Thank you!

Does anyone think this is not a good idea?

Would anyone be able to refer me to some reference materials?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

In VS1 stones the inclusions must be very small, so small that I am pretty sure you never need to conern yourself with durability issues. The reason to buy a VS1 diamond is that you don't have to even think about inclusions! So stop thinking about them ;))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

How are you planning on setting it?? :)

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock

Good question.

Am undecided at the moment, love the look of the Harry Winston "Attraction" setting and Neil Lane's R00029 (photos attached). Sadly, since I am purchasing a loose diamond these settings are not options.

Recommendations are certainly welcome.

Harry Winston_Attraction.jpg

Neil Lane_R00029.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

grapefruit771

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the tips!
I will check out your two recommendations for custom work as well.

AngelaMegen

Rough_Rock
Can you please help me find the setting?

Hi I'm Angela.

I'm trying to find the Neil Lane engagement ring setting you have in one of your posts. It's the R00029 one that's underneath the Harry Winston setting. Could you please tell me where you found that setting for sell?

Angela

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results