shape
carat
color
clarity

Prices for antique jewelry

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
Hi there I am new to this forum and had a quick question .

Would you say that most websites for antique jewelry are open to negotiation on price or are most of them pretty firm with the price they have listed? I feel like I should offer a lower price but I don't want to insult anyone

Thank you for your help

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I know most would not be offended at all if you make an offer. They probably paid 1/3 - 1/2 of what they are asking unless it is a consignment piece. Especially for the lower colored diamonds which are more plentiful in the antique cuts. Will be interesting to see what others have to say on negotiating price.

I would also post your question on "rocky talk" forum too.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I would most definitely negotiate when buying antique jewelry. I think most antique jewelry dealers expect this. I always negotiate when purchasing my antique pieces. Sometimes they have a lot of wiggle room. I guess it depends on how much they have in the piece and how fast they want to turn a profit. I don't think you will insult anyone by asking for a lower price.

Sonyawp

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the information! I am never sure when it is appropriate or not to 'haggle'. Thanks! - Sonya

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Antiques aren't always bargains, but when you stumble across something so magical, so perfect, so fabulous, so "you", that you absolutely light up inside, sometimes it's worth whatever the seller is asking. I've sometimes overpaid for something by not negotiating on price, and even if others consider me foolish, for me it has always been worth it. I would never have found those pieces again.

In the same vein, there have been a few times that I have hesitated for a moment and ended up losing the piece to another buyer, and regretted my caution. I'll never find those English c. 1910 cufflinks again, nor the c.1890 diamond dormeuse earrings (not for less than double that great price, anyway), nor the c.1900 locket... I could go on.

Good luck on your bargaining! May you always get the best price!

Jogani

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can't tell you whether someone will be firm on their price or not, but I can tell you that no respectable dealer or jeweler would be insulted by an attempt to bargain. Business is business. Bargaining is not an insult. People will tell you whether your offer works for them or doesn't — and there should be no hard feelings involved.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that most are willing to negotiate unless they just got the piece in stock. In that case I stalk it and check back in 4-6 weeks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results