shape
carat
color
clarity

My ruby project is in motion---DBTY style necklace

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rubies have been checked out and we are back and forth discussing layout. I THINK it's been decided on, but I'd like to make sure that my gut isn't deceiving me...

18" necklace. Starting the stones at 1" and moving in 2" increments alternating rubies with diamonds. All stones are 3.2mm stones. I made a rough diagram (they're not all right on the mark bec I made it in about 30 seconds before I left for the baseball game last night!). In theory, when the necklace is closed and in a full circle, everything will be 2 inches apart.

Is it too cluttered?

rubynecklacelayout.png

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohhhh I have always wanted a ruby DBTY necklace, my birthstone. So hard to find decent rubies. I think it will be lovely.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only change I'd make is to have a ruby in the center and then alternate the diamonds.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1438270841|3909036 said:
The only change I'd make is to have a ruby in the center and then alternate the diamonds.
I only have 4 rubies. I supplied those. So if I do that, I'd only be using 3 of the rubies, 4 diamonds and be making the spread wider. Which isn't a problem though it would just leave one unused.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
autumngems|1438269644|3909021 said:
ohhhh I have always wanted a ruby DBTY necklace, my birthstone. So hard to find decent rubies. I think it will be lovely.
Thanks! I've had them for at least 8 years just sitting and waiting for a project.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, I think it will turn out beautifully and be just a joyous looking piece. I am so excited for you! Can't wait to see neck shots!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! It's going to be really pretty :dance:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Take a piece of string and knot it in two inch increments. Then color alternating knots with a red marker....

See how you like it.

Keep in mind that the diamonds will look larger than the rubies even though the diameters are the same.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Love this idea! So glad you will be using your lovely rubies for this project so you can enjoy wearing them! :appl: It's going to be a beautiful necklace!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, I happen to have an 18" DBTY necklace with 9 stones. I think 2" is too far apart. A good way to figure the distance is to have the chain in a V. You start with the center stone and then go up the sides of the chain. My stones have 1.5" of chain between them. If you space them 2" apart, you are going to lose maybe 4 stones behind your neck.

dbty18inch.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point. Ill test this out with the string and make sure before I give them the go-ahead. My goal was really to make sure it just looks like floating rubies, and I like uniformity.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just paid the invoice, this show is on the road.

I did experiments on spacing and found I liked the 2inch spacing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your DBTY necklace will look fabulous. :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
ame|1438990214|3912345 said:
I just paid the invoice, this show is on the road.

I did experiments on spacing and found I liked the 2inch spacing.

Yay! Can't wait to see the finished necklace! :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am super excited! :dance: We got our windows installed last week and I ordered the new blinds last night. It's been a banner week for the Amex in this household.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
ame|1439256739|3913161 said:
I am super excited! :dance: We got our windows installed last week and I ordered the new blinds last night. It's been a banner week for the Amex in this household.

Congrats on your new windows! :appl: I would love to change out ours, but it has to wait for now. I'm not sure which is more exciting...new windows or your new necklace! Ok, this is PS so the necklace has to be the winner! :naughty: I can't wait to see it!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We waited 12 years for the windows. Every year we kept saying "THIS IS THE YEAR" and then some huge nightmarish thing would come up. We spent thousands on our basement, it kept flooding with rainwater backup issues. The sewer company reimbursed us but it was still an epic nightmare. But those floods exposed TONS of issues with the house the former owner concealed in seriously debauched ways. So we have spent so much money and time fixing those. We are FINALLY past all that, and can finally fix these. We almost cried we were so happy to do the windows.

Of course now DH's 16 year old car is finally quitting and he's finally decided to stop clinging to it and fixing it (you have no idea how mixed I am with this vehicle. yes I am thrilled he loves it so much he wants to keep it going, but...it looks like hell and is a money pit.)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing it finished! Should be pretty and a great classic piece to add to your jewelry wardrobe!

Who is doing the work for you?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1439302508|3913298 said:
Looking forward to seeing it finished! Should be pretty and a great classic piece to add to your jewelry wardrobe!

Who is doing the work for you?
I went with BGD.

JJMMXX

Rough_Rock
Super exciting on both the necklace and the windows. I can't wait to see the necklace. I check this post frequently to see if you have it yet!

We needed new windows for 5 years and I just never prioritized it. Then I got pregnant and about a month before the baby came I finally HAD to get the windows so he wouldn't freeze in his room! And I love the windows. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results