shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you ever...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you threw a wedding at a nice venue and left a deposit, and after the wedding was over, you lost some of the deposit because one guest left a car parked overnight and he also left a bottle of outside alcohol in the trash can--would you bill your guest for the amount you were fined?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much were you fined?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1438200851|3908766 said:
How much were you fined?

Hi, I wasn't fined. A good friend of mine is in this situation. She was fined $300. Her overall wedding cost $30,000. She has asked me for advice and wants to know if she should bill the guest.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1438201251|3908770 said:
House Cat|1438200851|3908766 said:
How much were you fined?

Hi, I wasn't fined. A good friend of mine is in this situation. She was fined $300. Her overall wedding cost $30,000. She has asked me for advice and wants to know if she should bill the guest.
No, I wouldn't bill the guest. I would be happy that he or she didn't drink and drive home. It was probably stated in the contract somewhere that this was the venue's policy.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would give them his address and say bill directly to him. It's not my car, how do they know its my guests' car, how do they know it was his bottle of alcohol? I understand the venue and you are responsible for your guests (general you), but that doesn't seem rational. Does the venue expect people to drive drunk vs leaving their car?

However, I think billing the guest is going to be an issue. Did this person know you couldn't leave your car overnight? I really don't see how the venue would rather people drive drunk than leave their car, and fine you for it. I would think this person would feel the same, and not want to pay it. If your friend forces this, it could be a friendship ending move IMO.

eta - I change my mind on the underlined.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1438202461|3908780 said:

However, I think billing the guest is going to be an issue. Did this person know you couldn't leave your car overnight? I really don't see how the venue would rather people drive drunk than leave their car, and fine you for it. I would think this person would feel the same, and not want to pay it. If your friend forces this, it could be a friendship ending move IMO.

Yup!! True!!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I'd pay the bill and chalk it up as part of the cost of the wedding. $300 is a stiff penalty for the fine and I view it as a lot of money, but it is a tiny percentage of $30,000. Paying it also avoids bad vibes with the guest.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would *hate* to have to pay this bill and would fight it tooth and nail...

But as much as I'd hate to pay it, if I had to, I don't think I would charge the guest, if they did not know the rule in the advance/had not been clearly forewarned. ETA and even if they knew, it would be really awkward to...although I would NOT be happy paying this bill for them. :angryfire:

(ETA - also how do any of us know if the person left their car because they were drunk? OP didn't mention that being the case...although she did mention that alcohol bottle...but even then, it could been maybe they were just sloppy? Sorry don't mean to insult this person's guests, but it is a possibility of what could have happened...)

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Sky56|1438209049|3908803 said:
I'd pay the bill and chalk it up as part of the cost of the wedding. $300 is a stiff penalty for the fine and I view it as a lot of money, but it is a tiny percentage of $30,000. Paying it also avoids bad vibes with the guest.

This. I'm sure there was something in the contract about leaving cars/debris in the parking lot, and it would be difficult, not to mention ridiculous, to make sure all guests were aware of this during a celebration such as a wedding. When DH and I got married we were the last people to leave the reception site because we wanted to make sure that everything was tidied up to avoid exactly this.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work in this industry and I despise when event sites pull this stuff--so much so that I steer couples away from sites that do it and make a point to negatively review the ones that do it.

If the individual/couple did no physical damage to the facility, charging them for leaving trash (that's what this is, let's be real) behind on the premises, and failing to move the car from the private lot til morning--which they should be happy about if someone is roasted--is just the facility pulling a fast one. Charging the person extra to clean up a freaking bottle that they would've cleaned up anyway. In fact, in many states these stupid loopholes and scams are illegal, private business or not, and they're not enforceable because of liability issues. Example: if someone were to move their car from their private lot when drunk, and cause an accident, they're on the hook for overserving lawsuits and can lose their liquor license because they should have cut the person off and prevented them from leaving in that condition, making them at least partially liable for the accident and the damages.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I would never "bill" a guest for that sort of thing. The party was the responsibility of the bride & groom, so if the contract was violated, then the bride & groom are responsible for the charges. If it was me, I would be happy that a guest didn't drive home while intoxicated, which I would assume was the case if a vehicle was left there overnight.
I lost my deposit for my wedding reception hall because the caterers didn't clean everything up (there were a few dishes left behind that were collected the next day). I certainly didn't think to bill the catering company for it because ultimately, my husband and I were responsible for ensuring that we followed the terms of our contract. It irritated us, but lots of things in life are irritating….

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, it seems a little excessive from the venue IMO. We nearly set our wedding venue on fire at no extra charge - twice!! :lol:

I'd just pay it and chalk it up as a wedding expense. It's impossible to have a large amount of people consume alcohol and behave like angels - trust me, I ran pubs and bars for years :roll:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd argue with the venue because I don't think anything the guest did was a big deal, no one smashed anything no one messed anything up I mean really....

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't bill the guest. The contract was between the couple and the venue, so it seems to me they are responsible for the charge. I would probably check the contract again and speak with the venue about it, seems excessive for such a minor infraction.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I'd fight the venue tooth and nail out of principle (unless it was specified in the contract, but I'd just refuse to sign a contract like that). I would never bill the guest, though. If a guest had been seriously destructive or something, then it's a different story - but an outside liquor bottle and a parked car are not worth destroying a friendship.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1438264943|3908998 said:
I'd argue with the venue because I don't think anything the guest did was a big deal, no one smashed anything no one messed anything up I mean really....

This is my point that I kind of brushed on in my previous post; $300 for a car parked at the venue overnight and an empty alcohol container?!? These things literally do not cost the venue a cent, they're just fishing for more money from people who they have already bled thousands from (unless the council for the area issued the venue some sort of fine for where the vehicle was parked).

I'd be writing a rather scathing review for the venue that even after taking $30k for the wedding they tried to hit you for a further $300 for minor things that did not cost the venue a single cent to rectify. Most venues nowadays actually encourage people who have driven to leave their cars at the venue overnight to avoid drink driving if possible, to hear that a venue is actualy charging people when they leave their cars there is a disgrace IMO. I would have never considered doing that to a customer who left their car overnight, I would have been more inclined to hand them a free beer for being responsible!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1438260274|3908976 said:
I work in this industry and I despise when event sites pull this stuff--so much so that I steer couples away from sites that do it and make a point to negatively review the ones that do it.

If the individual/couple did no physical damage to the facility, charging them for leaving trash (that's what this is, let's be real) behind on the premises, and failing to move the car from the private lot til morning--which they should be happy about if someone is roasted--is just the facility pulling a fast one. Charging the person extra to clean up a freaking bottle that they would've cleaned up anyway. In fact, in many states these stupid loopholes and scams are illegal, private business or not, and they're not enforceable because of liability issues. Example: if someone were to move their car from their private lot when drunk, and cause an accident, they're on the hook for overserving lawsuits and can lose their liquor license because they should have cut the person off and prevented them from leaving in that condition, making them at least partially liable for the accident and the damages.
This is what I was thinking. Leaving a car vs Causing a fatal accident that they'd be liable for... No brainer which they should choose.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
telephone89|1438270193|3909029 said:

This is what I was thinking. Leaving a car vs Causing a fatal accident that they'd be liable for... No brainer which they should choose.

I don't know what the laws are like in the US but I know that venues in Australia can be held liable for and forced to compensate for that (as well as domestic violence problems, council littering and anything else the police are willing to point the finger at a venue for). You're absolutely right that it's a no-brainer for venue management to want customers to leave their cars behind if they can't drive them home, I used to leave a beer jug behind my bar so people could throw their keys in it to resist the temptation to drive and come get their car the next day. I'd even open up my yard and let them park behind gates for security! But even that isn't enough sometimes, I've had a customer die after drinking at my pub and then going for a ride on a motorbike with no safety gear. It is not a good feeling and even though it was hours after I shut my doors, the fact is it was my product that caused his judgment to be so lacking.

When it happens to the venue they will change their tune on cars being parked overnight. I guarantee that.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I knew about this at bars but for some reason it did not dawn on me that same rules apply to a wedding at a venue.

I would really fight this tooth and nail if it wasn't in the k...and if it was, I would still really try to work this out with the venue...(it's the kind of thing a lot of people would just sign not think it's a big deal because they nothing is going to happen, and then it does...)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1438272495|3909048 said:

I knew about this at bars but for some reason it did not dawn on me that same rules apply to a wedding at a venue.

I would really fight this tooth and nail if it wasn't in the k...and if it was, I would still really try to work this out with the venue...(it's the kind of thing a lot of people would just sign not think it's a big deal because they nothing is going to happen, and then it does...)
For a wedding, either the venue or the hosts will need to get a liquor licence. That liquor license comes with a TON of responsibilities, including liability for these sorts of things. You can also buy insurance to protect yourself in these situations, sometimes the venue has their own. It's very scary! Even if you have a Christmas party and someone gets into an accident after drinking (no liquor license required) you can still be held liable.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1438272724|3909051 said:
CJ2008|1438272495|3909048 said:

For a wedding, either the venue or the hosts will need to get a liquor licence. That liquor license comes with a TON of responsibilities, including liability for these sorts of things. You can also buy insurance to protect yourself in these situations, sometimes the venue has their own. It's very scary! Even if you have a Christmas party and someone gets into an accident after drinking (no liquor license required) you can still be held liable.

That is very scary.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
While I agree that the venue is being excessive, if it was in the contract, and the couple signed the contract, then rules are rules. There are lots of things in life that seem unfair/unjust, but that's just the way it is. I might question the charge with the venue and I might even ask them to waive the fee, but I certainly wouldn't get all bent out of shape over it. As others have said, I would just consider it an unfortunate wedding expense.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for all of your input. I actually agree with the majority of you in that she shouldn't bill this guest, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't way off before I gave her my advice.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, if it is in the contract, then the signee(s) should pay it without complaint/haggling and not try to recoup it from their guest. Not only did they willingly agree to the provision, I also recognize and respect the vendor's right and obligation to safely secure their property particularly after-hours.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I would never charge a guest for that as it is not their responsibility. You (your friend) was the host and therefore responsible. However I would fight that bill as it is not fair at all. Cmon it didn't cost them $300 to clean up that bottle or keep their car overnight did it now? Talk about being greedy. :nono:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely not.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I wouldn't charge the guest how in the world is the guest to know this idiotic rule? Was there signs up? An announcement after the ceremony? It's pretty common place to not drive your car home WHEN YOURE DRUNK. God wedding venues do the f*ing worst kind of money grubbing

As for the liquor bottles, I don't know. Was it an open bar? Why did they need that bottle? How do they know it was from that guest?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1438341771|3909364 said:
No I wouldn't charge the guest how in the world is the guest to know this idiotic rule? Was there signs up? An announcement after the ceremony? It's pretty common place to not drive your car home WHEN YOURE DRUNK. God wedding venues do the f*ing worst kind of money grubbing

As for the liquor bottles, I don't know. Was it an open bar? Why did they need that bottle? How do they know it was from that guest?

Plus 1 on this. That's ridiculous. Tell them your yelp review is going to be in the toilet and that you will fully detail this incident in it and see what they say. Then do it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, it is particularly bad form to now threaten a negative review for a vendor who is enforcing a provision of a contract which was signed by all parties, presumably after a period of time sufficient for review and negotiation.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1438353206|3909419 said:
To me, it is particularly bad form to now threaten a negative review for a vendor who is enforcing a provision of a contract which was signed by all parties, presumably after a period of time sufficient for review and negotiation.

I have to agree with this...(and I agree with momhappy that if it WAS in the contract, you can try to work it out and ask them to waive the fee, or reduce it, but ultimately, you signed the k so you can't really be mad at anyone but yourself for signing it...)

The only way it would be OK is if the review was ACCURATE and truthful - meaning, accurate on the food and service (ETA if it was good, the review should reflect that) - and on the fee (e.g., "I know we signed the contract but I still think it's ridiculous to charge $300 for leaving a car overnight in the parking lot and cleaning up 1 liquor bottle", or if it was not stipulated in the contract..."this was never specified in the contract and now they're trying to charge us $300 for ... " etc etc)

But the review needs to factual and accurate for it to be a fair tool to use.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results