shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me chose which halo for my 3.15 marquise!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am resetting my new 3.15 marquise with David Klass. The current setting is so gorgeous but the prongs are scratching my babies. So....I have drawn up some halo ideas. Which do you like? (The halos with small marquise won't work so omit the two crossed out). The goal is to have a rounded ring that I can wear daily (and yes I realize it will be a huge ring....fine by me lol!). It will be in all yellow gold.

Also, should I do rose cuts or single cuts for the halo? Do rose cuts sparkle?

Thanks for your help!

Here is my ring (it will be lower once the basket is changed to allow the band to stack)

Here are the halos I drew

_32815.jpg

p_20150727_104809_1_1.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
My vote goes for number 2 :love: :love: :love: .

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Saw your lovely MQ posted on the shallow thread that I bumped.

Since it is 17mm long, if I remember correctly, my vote is for 4
with the baguettes or with french cuts. I like # 2 as well, but
would use baguette halo on that design too.

Red_Velvette

Rough_Rock
Another vote for number two! It's gorgeous!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ariel, yes you are right it is 17.1mm so it is pretty long. You have a great memory.

I really like number 2 but does it look too much like a cocktail ring? This is my engagement ring. I was surprised when I drew it that I liked it so much - as it reminds me of the fan tail on a lobster lol - but I am charmed by it. I worry that it *might* go over my knuckle. So you would do baguettes in place of the rounds, similar to number 4?

If I do number 4 (which I also LOVE), the tips would have to be calibre cut so that they are rounded. My poor babies say "mommy your ring scratched me" on a daily basis and it is breaking my heart!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I should add.... I want this thing to super sparkle. So will baguettes make the cut or will they just look like glass at that size? I was considering rose cuts but I think I would get tired of the lack of fire.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like #2 as well, but I might make the size of the halo stones a bit smaller if you are worried about it looking like a cocktail ring.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In order 1 2 4. Can't wait to see your new creation.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited.... I was hoping you would halo all along. I'm going with number 1 since you want sparkle, I also love the femininity added by the scalloped outline. I love the baguette halo, too.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
#1 followed by #4 especially if you can do french cuts for it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I would say brilliant cuts or single cuts for the halo. The halo stones need to be really small because of the size of your diamond, so tiny rose cuts just wouldn't do much, I'm afraid. The ring I just posted uses single cuts in the outer diamond halo.

I think my vote would be for number 1 as I think it is like drk14's halo.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
No 1 for me as you said you did not want to scratch your babies so the rounder the better for them

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Can I vote no halo, your ring is stunning just the way it is?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would vote for a setting that resembles the current setting, but without the sharp edges. Perhaps a delicate rounded bezel with milgrain could work. I love the sophisticated and elegant look of your current setting and with this size you do not need anything extra. Additional bling can be added with pave bands. As this is your everyday ring I would not opt for a halo with the size of your stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smallest one so numer 3. I don't think numer 2 would fit on your finger it would be too long.

With that said I agree with the others I'd just bezel it or just not wear it around your children. From my experience even a haloed (and bezeled) ponty diamond can cause scratches in little ones. Plus its just so big I'd think it would be best to be worn when your not playing with children

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
There is quite a lot of tint in that diamond, so be careful that you don't have whiter halo stones unless you like the effect of course... I too think a halo or bezel could make this ring too busy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote no halo. I think the stone is too big to halo (and wear comfortably). Too big...said no one ever on Pricescope!

I would go with a very thin milgrained bezel. I love the setting you have but understand scratching the little ones.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm the only one that prefers #5, I think its interesting, w/o having so much going on, like #2.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like halo #2 the best.

If it were me, I'd skip the halo and add tapered baguettes to the shoulders of the band.

I think your marquise is just stunning!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, since others are saying it, I honestly do think your diamond is too big for a halo. It already reaches your knuckle. I would suggest just not wearing it at home when you are caring for your little ones. I don't wear my diamonds around the house unless I just want to look at them occasionally! Children will grow up, so I would set a diamond to look its best and just be cautious about wearing it while they are small. About the only thing that might work is something like a Victor Canera halo as that would add the least amount of extra mm to the stone, but pave isn't any more practical for wearing with little ones, either.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I get what wise souls are suggesting with the size and halo. Probably prudent to listen...I think a bezel could have the effect of framing.... I just like halos on fancy shapes. Here is 5 carat 'Lemony', in a vintage halo, which I love.

I love drk14's marquise halo!

lemony.png

_644.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a halo would look smashing! But with a couple of provisos...

It looks from your photos as though you only have 1 - 1.5mm till you reach your knuckle, so any halo will need to be very delicate. We're talking 1/2 pt stones here.

I would cup that beauty in a yellow gold basket to bring out the yellow, then do the halo in stones as white as possible; you need to either match your stone or contrast it. Just 'slightly different' will look a bit odd and will, in my opinion, make your stone look dull.

To that end - definitely not rose cuts. I also don't think you can get rose cuts in 1/2 pointers.

I also don't understand what you mean when you say that the ring will be lower when the basket is changed 'to allow the band to stack'. The lower the basket, the more difficult it will be to stack rings with it, and with a ring as large as yours, if it sits low, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to stack it as any other ring you wear with your marquise won't get within roughly 9mm of the band of your e-ring. So it certainly won't give you a stacked effect. In fact, if you halo then lower your e-ring, you would be best served to wear it as a stand alone ring. If you want to wear a band with it, I'd suggest a plain band and make sure your marquise ring is high enough off your finger to allow a band to slide underneath it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because your lovely marquise is already so long, I'm going to join the no halo crowd. Actually I'm going to venture into PS heresy territory and suggest fatter prongs - a single contoured prong at either end, and two tab-like prongs on each side, near fairly near the shank. Or maybe just one nice fat highly polished tab on either side. Maybe add some bold detailing on the shoulders of the shank. Essentially, a very modern (or maybe moderne?) look. That or a bezel.

Here's what I meant with "tab-like prongs":

tab_prongs.jpg

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The first photo shows how the basket doesnt allow my band to stack. I meant to say that thr new basket will be more narrow to allow stacking. Here is a better photo in terrible light to show where it sitd when i can get it lower on my hand. It is def going in a halo and I am leaning toward the baguette #4

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vote for #4. I found this baguette ring guard online to help me visualize the look and I think it'll be fab. But it'll also be amazing just in a plain bezel like Lemony.

baguette_ring_guard.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think #4 is really pretty - I like #1 too.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It can handle a halo, I think.... we will see!

img_20150730_193109_1.jpg

redroze1

Shiny_Rock
I love 5. It balances out the marquise the best and the halo has an antique cluster feel.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
perhaps your halo has larger diamonds on the side and smaller by the points to fatten you up a bit ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results