shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find a tin cup?

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello pearl experts. I am looking to get a tin cup necklace for my birthday. However, I don't have that big of a budget. I am looking to stay under $120.
I have checked out all the vendors on the sticky but I was wondering if anyone had any vendor suggestions (I know some people have found good vendors on etsy). There is a nice one that Catherine Cardellini has but I just want to look at some other options. :D
Any help would be much appreciated.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made my own with loose fully drilled pearls purchased from PP in a 200g or 250g mix-colour bag a number of years ago, with silver or white gold wires and findings purchased from the likes of Bella Findings and Rio Grande.

I already have pliers for simple wire wraps, therefore, I did not have to spend money on tools.

DK :))

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
What type of tin cup? Freshwater, South Sea, Tahitian ... ? How many pearls? Sterling or gold?

I bought a Tahitian tin cup from PP a while back, and a South Sea tin cup from Ross-Simons -- if I bought them, you know they were bargain priced. :lol:

Tin cups are popular and fairly easy to find ... we just need more specifics. :angel:

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow Dk - I don't think I am that skilled yet. :D That's impressive!

I am thinking with my budget, freshwater pearls are my only option. I love yellow gold but I think silver is much more economical so I will probably end up going with that. Pearl-wise I am hoping to get multi-colors because I have a couple of white necklaces and a dyed pink necklace already. I tend to like longer necklaces (20 inches +) so that will make it more expensive. My favorite pearl necklace is baroque so I actually like some ridges and oval shaped-ness if I can get it.

So far this is the only one I found that I like in my budget: http://www.catherinecardellinipearls.com/?subject=moreInfo&id=2187

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Ariadne_Theia|1437787366|3907147 said:
I am thinking with my budget, freshwater pearls are my only option.

Not necessarily. My wSS tin cup in 14K was under $100. It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's fantastic! I am not expecting my luck to be that good. I am just looking to find another couple vendors in my price range.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you feel like trying to make your own, you can use gold-filled chain, which is very durable and affordable. Gold-filled is 1/20 gold by weight.

Here is what you need:

Materials:
1. GF chain
OR a GF chain necklace (which already has a clasp attached, saving one step).
The chain has to have links that are wide enough to pass the wire through. Buy a long enough chain for the desired end result, remembering that the pearls also take up some space.
2. Loose pearls
3. A bit of fine GF wire, half-hard or dead soft. (Dead soft is easier to manipulate.) I'd go with 26 gauge or 28 gauge, depending on how small the links are; the wire has to be able to pass through the chain links. Order online or visit a beading shop. Or you can use gold colored craft wire from Michaels.
I would absolutely buy some craft wire anyway for practicing, so you don't waste the costlier GF wire. I always practice with craft wire first when trying something new.
4. If you are not using a chain that already has a clasp, you will need a GF clasp and possibly jump rings to connect the chain to the clasp. In which case, to open the jump rings you'll need an additional pair of pliers.

For the second pair of pliers I recommend a pair of either bent nose pliers (I love these for getting into awkward or tight spaces) or chain nose pliers (standard basic jewelry making tool.) Neither of these is costly, and you could use them to do basic jewelry repairs on your other jewelry, like replacing clasps. I like Beadsmith-- they are good enough for the casual crafter and not pricey. But there are cheaper sets of tools you can buy, at Michael's and online.

Tools:
1. Ruler or tape measure (to measure out your lengths of chain that are between the pearls, for consistency)
2. Wire cutters (to cut the chain into the desired lengths, and to cut the wire). Again, these are basic tools and not costly.
3. Round nose pliers (to make the wrapped loops that connect the pearls to the chain on either side)
4. A fine tip Sharpie so you can mark the pliers-- so that you make consistent size loops.)
5. Possibly a second pair of pliers, as explained above.

How to:
1. Decide how much chain you want between the pearls-- 1", 1.5" etc. Leave that much chain attached to both sides of the clasp, and cut the rest of the chain into pieces that are the desired length.
2. Cut the wire into lengths long enough to pass through the pearl and still have enough enough on either side to make a wrapped loop. You will figure out how long this is for you by practicing with the craft wire. Longer wire is easier to handle, but loo long and you waste wire.
3. Attach the chain to the pearls by making wrapped loops. Trim off the wire after making the loops. Use pliers to flatten the trimmed end of the wire. You can use the round nose pliers but it is easier to use pliers that have a flat inner side, as the video below points out-- so you might want to go ahead an buy those bent-nose or chain-nose pliers after all.

See this YouTube video for clear instruction on making wrapped loops-- in particular how she connects a second wrapped bead to the first before finishing the wrapped loop. (The only difference is that you will be sliding a link of the chain onto the loop before closing it.)

Wireworking - How To Make a Wrapped Loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUVUVLF6fk

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
marymm - thanks so much for the link, I had not seen that website.

Pearls - I am not a confident enough jewelry maker to attempt to make my own. It would be cheaper though. Too bad I don't have a friend I can bribe to do it for me. :p

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But consider: Confidence comes from trying something that you think is hard, and succeeding.

No one was born knowing how to make jewelry. I teach myself by trial and error.

It's actually easier to learn when your first project isn't anything you care about-- using some cheap beads (or even fake pearls) and cheap craft wire. Just for learning purposes. You can use the pliers or wire cutter to cut the beads apart and try again, until you feel like you can do it. This is exactly what I do whenever I'm trying something new.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. :))

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
pearlsngems|1437890345|3907592 said:
But consider: Confidence comes from trying something that you think is hard, and succeeding.

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving definitely isn’t for you. ~Author Unknown

:lol:

We would all love to make our own custom jewelry ... and some of us wish we lived near ckrickett, or maybe Sarah from Kojima, and could commission items.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, I've done a lot of research and looking around in local shops and I've narrowed down what I am looking for. I am still not sure it's possible. I am looking for a long (20 inches +) necklace that has chain in between the pearls. I would love golden or purple/grey pearls. And I am in love with "ringed" pearls. Does anyone know a vendor who might have something like this? Thanks for all the help. I have difficulty finding vendors that seem trustworthy.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you are looking for dyed commercial grade freshwater pearls.

If you go on eBay (for example) you will see lots of Chinese sellers who sell dyed FWP but misrepresent them as GSSP and Tahitians.
Also, the photo tends to be representative of the lot, rather than of the very strand you will receive.

Look for a vendor who calls them what they are and who says that you will receive the very strand pictured. If you are in the USA, look for vendors in the USA. If the pearls have to come from China, they will take weeks to arrive and if when they arrive they are not what you expected, they may not be worth the postage to send them back with tracking as PayPal requires.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Honora sells a lot of ringed pearls on QVC. (Can I say that?)

Honora offers tin cups in gold, sterling, or bronze, usually in a choice of lengths or with adjustable chains. They offer something you might like in Ming pearls, too.

There are Honora shops on Amazon and Kohls. A search tip -- they won't be called tin cups, so you'll have to sort through all of the necklaces.

I know a lot of people dislike Honora, but I like some of their things. Just remember, you get what you pay for, and avoid the cheapest offerings.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1438215514|3908827 said:
Honora sells a lot of ringed pearls on QVC. (Can I say that?)

Honora offers tin cups in gold, sterling, or bronze, usually in a choice of lengths or with adjustable chains. They offer something you might like in Ming pearls, too.

There are Honora shops on Amazon and Kohls. A search tip -- they won't be called tin cups, so you'll have to sort through all of the necklaces.

I know a lot of people dislike Honora, but I like some of their things. Just remember, you get what you pay for, and avoid the cheapest offerings.

Good advice.

They may be called station necklaces instead of "Tin Cup".

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also search for "station necklace" and "tin cup necklace" on Etsy.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Did Ariadne find a necklace?

I was thinking about this thread ... for some reason, "Pearls by the yard" popped into my head the other day, and the only one on that train is Elsa Peretti. Why is that? It's such a lovely idea.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I haven't found one yet. At this point, I've given up. :/

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Ariadne_Theia|1438202707|3908782 said:
Well, I've done a lot of research and looking around in local shops and I've narrowed down what I am looking for. I am still not sure it's possible. I am looking for a long (20 inches +) necklace that has chain in between the pearls. I would love golden or purple/grey pearls. And I am in love with "ringed" pearls. Does anyone know a vendor who might have something like this? Thanks for all the help. I have difficulty finding vendors that seem trustworthy.
There is a wonderful lady who has made several pieces for me. I bet she would be the perfect person for you to contact. Mention me when you contact her.

Patricia Saab Designs at PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Pattye makes lovely designs, and is as nice as can be as well :)

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the suggestions. They were very helpful. I have sent a message to Patricia and I hope she'll be able to help me. (:

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
You might try making a tin cup yourself...you can buy 14k gold , or gold filled chains and wire at Rio Grande (or Bella findings) and make your own. There are wonderful on line tutorials on how to do it. I've made several...and if I can do it, anyone can!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hate when people don't update their threads so here we go. I decided to work with Pattye of PatriciaSaabDesigns from etsy. She was fabulous to work with. She has a great design eye and didn't flinch at the 40+ emails I have sent her. It took me 3 months to figure out what I wanted and she made it in less than a day. :lol:

I ended up going with grey freshwater pearls with rainbow overtones and gold filled chain. It's 35 inches and under my budget! (I never ever would have believed I could get something this beautiful without spending a fortune)

Here are her beautiful pictures.
pearl_tincup_1.jpg
pearl_tincup_2.jpg
pearl_tincup_3.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look great! I love ringed pearls, too. =)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Looks great! Her pearls are always beautiful, and this is a gorgeous necklace!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Great necklace! And how wonderful you got exactly what you wanted...that's a great purchase. Pattye is always so helpful!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results