shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternative to aquamarine?

alc1789

Rough_Rock
Hello, hello! Complete newbie here - I found this site as I started doing some research on gemstones. I am very recently engaged (huzzah!), and am looking for a gemstone for my ring (I am not a diamond girl). I initially was hoping for an aquamarine, but after reading some of the threads on this forum, came to the conclusion that aquamarine isn't a good choice for a wear-every-day ring. I've started looking for an alternative, and would appreciate any advice (yup, I've read the sticky on buying colored gemstones).

I've looked at some sapphires, particularly Montana sapphires, but am open to other ideas. I love the color of aquamarine, so hope to find something similar. Emerald or radiant cut is my first choice, though cushion is a possibility - roughly 1ct (7x5mm +/-). I may need to contact a few vendors to see what they might have available - I've looked at Mountain Momma Gems, Blaze N Gems, and a few others - haven't found the perfect stone out there yet, but I'm sure it's out there (even if it isn't cut yet!). The ring itself is white gold w/channel-set diamonds (photo attached with a sample stone - which is too "blue" and a little dark for me).

I like this sapphire, but think it's just a bit darker than what I want: https://www.etsy.com/listing/200384...-modified-radiant-cut?ref=shop_home_active_17

Any ideas, advice, critique, etc. would be appreciated. Many thanks!!

img_2906b.jpg

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! :wavey: Could you expand on what you're looking for color-wise (photos of ideal/desired colors might be helpful), and if you have any other requirements/preferences (such as shape, mm size, budget)?

ETA: I think you're on the right track with sapphires, though might recommend a paler Ceylon sapphire in addition to the Montanas you are looking at.

alc1789

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply (and the congrats)!

Regarding color, these images are pretty close to what I'm looking for - fairly light; somewhere between sky blue and teal.

As for size / shape, as I mentioned in my earlier post I'd prefer emerald or radiant cut, roughly 7x5mm. Budget is whatever it costs to find the right stone. It is my engagement ring, after all... :bigsmile:

sapphire_montana_530_a.jpg

sapphire_montana_592_a.jpg

sapphire_montana_596_a.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check with Dan Stair. He often has smaller pieces of Montana sapphire rough and might be able to custom cut something for you.

alc1789

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions! It looks like there are some good options. I'll let you know what I find!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue zircon is also that colour if you are willing to baby it.

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats on your engagement! :appl: I think this one might be perfect for you:

1.49 ct Montana sapphire
7.1 x 4.5 mm
No treatment
$2,384
https://www.johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Sapphire3565.html

"Mined from the Dry Cottonwood Creek deposit in Montana. This gem is VERY bright and natural color with good clarity and our cutting. Color is reminiscent of aquamarine."

msp1.jpg

alc1789

Rough_Rock
That is very pretty! I'm a little concerned about clarity - always hard to tell from pictures. I'll send them a message - thanks!

ETA - just realized they're in Edina, MN. I live in Minneapolis. Perhaps I can go view it in person. :sun:

S

SparkliesLuver

alc1789 said:
That is very pretty! I'm a little concerned about clarity - always hard to tell from pictures. I'll send them a message - thanks!

It is hard to tell; I'm sure John would take additional pictures for you though. Can't wait to see what you find out! <fingers crossed>

ETA: Ohhhhhh, even better!

alc1789

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1438095709|3908305 said:
It is hard to tell; I'm sure John would take additional pictures for you though. Can't wait to see what you find out! <fingers crossed>

ETA: Ohhhhhh, even better!

Just talked to John - and he's going to have his office manager show me the gem (and will bring along a few others as well). Huzzah!! Thank you for the suggestion! :))

ETA: One question I do have is about the price. $2,400 seems quite a bit higher than gems I've seen on other sites. Is it too high?

ETA2: After looking at some retail sites, the price seems about right - perhaps a little high, but not significantly so. And so nice to be able to see it in person.

S

SparkliesLuver

How great! :D Super exciting. His price might be a bit high but nothing crazy, plus his cutting is awesome. He seems like a great guy so maybe he'd be willing to negotiate a bit, especially for an engagement ring stone. ;-)

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
I have found there is time and place for hunting a great bargain. Then, there is also a time and place for paying a fair price for a well executed (or manufactured) piece from a well-regarded vendor ---> especially when one lacks experience, needs guidance and wants a piece that will stand the test of time. John Dyer has an excellent reputation and has won numerous awards. Being in your backyard is an extra perk.

That's not saying you couldn't do well with the mail route on your own. But in this case, if I were willing to spend the extra money, I'd take this opportunity to use John's services.

Best

Kim

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the custom cut stones, be aware you can pay a premium because of who the cutter is too. John Dyer does fantastic work, and I think the stone is very nice. A bit higher but you have to decide if thats what you want and is in your budget.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, you pay a lot for stones from Jon Dyer. If you are willing to pay the price, then great. Personally, on the occasions where one of his stones was in the running, I have always managed to find what I was looking for elsewhere for considerably less money.

I would definitely check in with Blaze though, as he has been up there mining and has been showing some serious pieces of rough he has been finding in his digs. If he had something, it would be much cheaper than others.

alc1789

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts / ideas / comments. Being completely new to the world of gemstones, I didn't realize how highly regarded John Dyer is. The sapphire is still well within my budget (we don't really have a "budget", more of a "just don't go overboard" policy), so I'll meet with his colleague and see if the gem meets my expectations (I have a feeling it will!). Since I do plan on wearing it the rest of my life, I'm more concerned about loving it than I am the cost.

I really appreciate all the help!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alc1789|1438109573|3908407 said:
Thank you all for your thoughts / ideas / comments. Being completely new to the world of gemstones, I didn't realize how highly regarded John Dyer is. The sapphire is still well within my budget (we don't really have a "budget", more of a "just don't go overboard" policy), so I'll meet with his colleague and see if the gem meets my expectations (I have a feeling it will!). Since I do plan on wearing it the rest of my life, I'm more concerned about loving it than I am the cost.

I really appreciate all the help!!

Perfect and great attitude! It sounds like you will walk away with exactly what you seek. :appl:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I think John Dyer is a great cutter and would pay a premium for his very unusual cuts, I would look at a few stones before jumping the gun, unless you're antsy. I would bet that Dan Stair could cut you one that size and colour for less than 1/5 of that price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some lapidaries charge a lot for their time and skill, some lapidaries do not charge as much. If I were looking for something one of a kind, I don't mind the upcharge. The cut you are considering isn't a one of a kind design, so ultimately it is up to you whether it is worth the higher than usual premium. Colour wise, since the sapphire has the colouration of an aquamarine, its value will be much lower than one that you were considering initially.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
finewater-9810524.jpg
I've been looking at this sapphire for months, even though I'm not in the market for one. Perhaps it fits your criteria?

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
Steve Walner of Westview Gems is also in the Minneapolis area. Westview is on the list of PS cutters/Gems. He has a day job, but maybe he'd let you see some of his Gems in person, too?

alc1789

Rough_Rock
I wanted to come back and post an update... I was able to see some of John Dyer's gems today, including the one that SparkliesLuver posted - and that's the one I chose! The color is much more aqua than in his photo, with just a hint of grey. The stone shows either blue-green or blue-grey depending on the light. When I first saw it I couldn't decide if it was just a hint lighter in color than what I wanted, but once I got it out in the sunlight, it was perfect. I took it to the jewelers where the setting is, and was able to talk to the gentleman who actually finishes the settings, and he assured me it would fit (the stone is tall - 4.4mm - and my setting rather petite).

Am attaching a few amateur hand shots for your viewing pleasure. Will add a final one once the ring is done.

Thank you to everyone for the advice, and a special thank you to SparkliesLuver for the great suggestion!!

_32852.jpg

_32853.jpg

_32854.jpg

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
A
Ma
Zing!!!
:clap:
I love it when a plan comes together.
Isn't it great when PS'ers can help each other like this?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great news!!
It will look stunning. Please come back with lots of pics.

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh yay!! :appl: :dance: That's great you were able to meet with them and see the stones in person. I'm so happy you love it and that it'll work with your setting. The last picture looks wonderful! Can't wait to see it actually set. :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is great! Love the color, especially in the last pic. Can't wait to see it once set--congratulations! :dance:

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
The stone is beautiful! I am excited to see the final outcome once it is set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results