carat
color
clarity

Need advice on choosing stones

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
I am in search of my perfect neon blue stone (my dream stone is paraiba tourmaline, but sadly those are (and will continue to be) far out of my budget for a long while :wall:

So in the meantime I am trying to find something that is bright beautiful blue for a ring project.

I have a few choices right now (it's between electric topaz and blue zircon). I've spoken to a few vendors and now need to decide which one to pull the trigger on. Here are my options:

1) An electric blue zircon cut by Doug Menaude (Bespoke Gems) into a round (antique round, looks kind of like an OEC cut to me). This is the color, but not the stone--just an example of the electric blue from his website. This is the least expensive option. 248a.jpg

2) A blue zircon cut by Roger Dery. Here is the stone itself. It is slightly more expensive, but still do-able. ZirconBlueRd3_79ct_1488.jpg

3) A blue zircon from another vendor (not on the list of preferred vendors here, but I've read in past posts about some people not wanting to say exactly where stones are from, so I'm doing the same, although I'm happy to share if that's allowed/a good idea). I've spoken to the vendor and they seem responsive and nice if that makes a difference (also not Ebay). This is only about $100 more than the topaz. gs3464b.jpg

4) This is out of my budget, but I could "splurge" for it if it seems significantly better from the rest. I'm just not sure that it is. Also a blue zircon. Watermark on the image makes the vendor clear. zircon_blue_252_A.jpg

EDIT: I should add that there is another stone in the running I forgot about. It's a tourmaline, around the same price as choice 3, but smaller (.89 ct versus the other choices that are all at least 1.5 carats). It's stone 2 in the image, from a vendor in Maine.
2015071895145404-1.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks in advance for your help and wisdom on the boards! I've learned a ton about colored stones (for better or worse haha)

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Of the ones listed the Roger Dery stone is by far my favorite.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree - and I'm a sucker for cushions, so I like the GemFix stone as well.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Out of all the stones you posted, the GemFix stone looks most like a Paraiba to my eye and it's probably my favourite of them all as well

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The round Roger Dery and the cushion from Gemfix!
Which one sings most to you though as that is the opinion that is most important. Use our votes/ opinions to learn and sharpen your own preferences and then follow your heart.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Doug blue zircon and Gemfix cushion looks closest to top Paraiba colouration to me. Too much green is generally not desired.

S

SparkliesLuver

#4 then #2. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you decide. :appl:

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
Question from a student: is the cut a tad wonky in stone #3?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kimpnoth|1437568436|3906021 said:
Question from a student: is the cut a tad wonky in stone #3?
Very minor and probably not noticeable in person.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much all for your help! After seeing the comments and looking at them altogether my "gut" is either the Roger Dery or the Gemfix stone. I guess I'm just surprised at how pricey the Gemfix one is--something around $300/ct whereas the Roger Dery is something around $180/ct. Part of me thinks I shouldn't go based on price alone, but I also don't want to overpay significantly. Both seem to be respected vendors--so should I assume the Gemfix is a "better" or more desired color?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many factors to pricing and photographic accuracy will vary, therefore do not automatically assume that a more expensive stone has better/more desired colouration.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it possible for you to order both (assuming easy return policy without fee's) and compare them to each other? :?:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
digdeep|1437575806|3906060 said:
Is it possible for you to order both (assuming easy return policy without fee's) and compare them to each other? :?:

Good advice. It really helps to have something to compare it to when you are considering stones; it gives you a quantum leap forward in being able to understand cutting, color, size, etc. ETA: also, and really important, how individual stones look in varying light conditions.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
In my very limited experience with buying sapphires, I think Gemfix is more expensive than most other vendors and just has a better photographer. The one stone I got from them was very well cut but didn't look as nice in person as the picture made it look. I may be getting tone and saturation mixed up here, but the sapphire seemed to be less saturated and much grayer than I expected, so I returned it.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
If it helps, I just purchased a couple blue zircons from Roger and they are much nicer than his photographs suggested! More saturated and the most gorgeous teal color! Mind you these are the first blue zircons I have seen in person.. But I think I did pretty good.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
indigoblue|1437585662|3906127 said:
In my very limited experience with buying sapphires, I think Gemfix is more expensive than most other vendors and just has a better photographer. The one stone I got from them was very well cut but didn't look as nice in person as the picture made it look. I may be getting tone and saturation mixed up here, but the sapphire seemed to be less saturated and much grayer than I expected, so I returned it.

This is good information but unfortunate for you. I find that to be the case with vendors who use really strong lighting; that their stones often appear more saturated than they do in person.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1437590457|3906157 said:
indigoblue|1437585662|3906127 said:

This is good information but unfortunate for you. I find that to be the case with vendors who use really strong lighting; that their stones often appear more saturated than they do in person.

Thanks, indigoblue and Minous! But I would actually be relieved to hear that Gemfix may be more expensive and just have better photography, since that is over twice as expensive as any other stone I am considering :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
austinj|1437587590|3906141 said:
If it helps, I just purchased a couple blue zircons from Roger and they are much nicer than his photographs suggested! More saturated and the most gorgeous teal color! Mind you these are the first blue zircons I have seen in person.. But I think I did pretty good.

I just saw your pictures and they are GORGEOUS!! That is definitely a strong vote in favor of Roger. Thanks for chiming in!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Is Doug's stone a zircon or a topaz?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1437603296|3906275 said:
Is Doug's stone a zircon or a topaz?
wow, sorry about the mistake there! Doug's stone is a topaz (electric blue, he still has some rough left over). Thanks for pointing that out!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to let you all know I made a decision (well, kind of...) :Up_to_something:

Roger is sending me 2 zircons that he thinks are most like the color I am looking for, and that way I can see them in person and decide which one works best. He has been incredibly helpful and responsive, so no matter what happens with the stones he has me as a fan based on customer service alone.

but...I also decided to pull the trigger on the electric blue topaz from Doug. He pointed out how much the exchange rate is in my favor right now, and I just couldn't resist. The price is amazing, and getting something custom cut from him is exciting (especially given the amazing pics I've seen from you all)

I will post pics of the stones from Roger soon (they should arrive on Monday!), and as soon as Doug is done cutting I will post pictures of that too :appl:

Thanks for everyone's help! I am so excited!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you! Being able to compare is so incredibly helpful and teaches so much about one's individual preferences.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! That's great news :wavey:
Looking forward to see your pics of the Roger stones and I hope one really speaks to you. It's great to be able to see the stones in real life.

The conversion rate from the AUD is indeed very profitable (not for the Australian PSers unfortunately). Doug is great to work with and his prices are very very reasonable. Doug cut me a natural blue topaz Asscher and an electric blue SG1 (round slightly modern shape). In which design will he cut yours?

I love it when vendors offer great service as well as being friendly and helpful.

Keep us posted 8-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1437632813|3906389 said:
Yay! That's great news :wavey:
Looking forward to see your pics of the Roger stones and I hope one really speaks to you. It's great to be able to see the stones in real life.

The conversion rate from the AUD is indeed very profitable (not for the Australian PSers unfortunately). Doug is great to work with and his prices are very very reasonable. Doug cut me a natural blue topaz Asscher and an electric blue SG1 (round slightly modern shape). In which design will he cut yours?

I love it when vendors offer great service as well as being friendly and helpful.

Keep us posted 8-)

Acinom I am so glad you chimed in here! I was thinking of sending a PM but didn't want to bug you. I am talking with Doug about shape...and can't decide between the SG1 and Antique round cuts. Both look gorgeous for colored stones. I will get between a 7-8mm round. I think if I go with the antique round I will stick with 7mm since the "fullness" of the cut may make the stone look larger. Whereas in the SG1 I might "go big" (at least for me haha) and go with 8mm.

Do you have any thoughts on which shape/size would be best for the electric blue? If it changes things I plan to set it in a bezel style ring with milgrain + engraving.
Thanks!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally love love love the chubby appearance of the antique round. For the setting I have in mind however, a modern cut like the SG1 or even concave round would be best (Victor Canera will set it in an adapted version of the Emilya halo setting). The antique round would have been too deep and a less good match with the setting.

Since you will have the stone set in a bezel ring with engraving, I think the antique will look gorgeous :love:
It could be wise to discuss it with your jeweller as well. Doug can provide you with (approximate) measurements for each style.
Happy decision making :wavey:
Doug's antique round is sooo beautiful. I hope to have a stone cut in that style one day.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update! I got the stones from Roger last night, but didn't have enough time to really look at them until today. They are beautiful, the cutting is very impressive and the color is great. But somehow I don't feel, "in love".

I know the first stone is too large for me, so I don't think that will work. Stone 2 is beautiful from certain angles (most of them!), but when I look at it straight down I see what I tried to capture in the last 2 pictures (looks like a dark circle in the middle). Obviously this isn't anything negative about Roger's cutting--I think it's because zircon's are cut deeply. Anyone have thoughts on either stone, or is there a potential that the dark look would go away once set?

Now onto the pics!

Stone 1:

20150727_192230.jpg 20150727_192215.jpg 20150727_192230.jpg

Stone 2:
20150728_183533.jpg
20150728_183636.jpg 20150728_183635.jpg 20150728_183634.jpg
20150728_183619.jpg 20150728_183618.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results