shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Help needed: Should I avoid a feather on the girdle?

frugalfw

Rough_Rock
I'm a bit confused about feather inclusions, and would greatly appreciate some expert help.

I've spent a lot of time reading different PSers opinions, and it seems that some PS experts recommend not ever selecting a diamond with a feather in the girdle...while others say if it is a VS2 or above, a feather is not a problem.

I've found a 1.5 VS2 diamond I really like, but the one thing that makes me a tad hesitant is the feather in the girdle.

Here is the GIA inclusion plot (which looks like 3 small feathers on the crown girdle and 1 small feather on the pavilion girdle:

vs2_inclusions.jpg

The vendor has indicated that the feather does not break the surface, but I'm not sure that is accurate, as I thought I had read a post by a former GIA grader that all feathers noted by GIA always break the surface (otherwise they are plotted as crystals)...does someone know?

I'm so confused. :confused:

What do you experts think...is this a real problem or am I overthinking this diamond that seems otherwise perfect for me?

Grateful for the help! :angel:

frugalfw

Rough_Rock
Re: Expert Help needed: Should I avoid a feather on the gird

frugalfw|1437873863|3907526 said:
I'm a bit confused about feather inclusions, and would greatly appreciate some expert help.

I've spent a lot of time reading different PSers opinions, and it seems that some PS experts recommend not ever selecting a diamond with a feather in the girdle...while others say if it is a VS2 or above, a feather is not a problem.

I've found a 1.5 VS2 diamond I really like, but the one thing that makes me a tad hesitant is the feather in the girdle.

Here is the GIA inclusion plot (which looks like 3 small feathers on the crown girdle and 1 small feather on the pavilion girdle:

vs2_inclusions.jpg

The vendor has indicated that the feather does not break the surface, but I'm not sure that is accurate, as I thought I had read a post by a former GIA grader that all feathers noted by GIA always break the surface (otherwise they are plotted as crystals)...does someone know?

What do you experts think...is this a real problem or am I overthinking this diamond that seems otherwise perfect for me?

Bumping in hopes of getting a few opinions. Thank you ahead of time! :appl:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

I wish I could be more helpful, but hopefully some knowledgeable PS members will chime in soon. There seems to be varying opinions on feathers, etc. If yours is VS2 and they are sure it doesn't break the surface then it may be just fine. Some PS members seem to avoid any near the girdle so it may be more of a personal preference or comfort level. I tried finding the thread that mentioned the GIA info, but didn't find what I was looking for. However, one of these may have some info you haven't read yet? :read: I am interested in a definitive answer as well, but as always it would probably depend on the particular diamond you are looking at. :confused:

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/diamond_feather_inclusions_durability_risk
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...1-diamond-feather-inclusion-on-girdle.210403/
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...1-diamond-feather-inclusion-on-girdle.210403/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-diamond-feather-issue.126562/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-feathers-dangerous-inclusions.64727/

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

frugalfw,

As a trade-member I cannot comment on specific diamonds, but let me offer you these general tips:

By strictest GIA definition (2006 manual) a feather does 'reach the surface' - in practice, however, that is not always the case. A vendor with the diamond in-hand will likely give you an accurate indication on that. Durability of a VS2 graded diamond (feathers in the girdle or not) simply should not be a concern. While ANY diamond can chip or break if impacted just the 'wrong' way, a VS2 graded diamond should easily stand up to being set and daily wear. Do remember that this diamond, in the process from rough to finished product, has been subject to process of cleaving, bruting, and polishing and has come out looking wonderful. These processes are far harder on the diamond than anything you will experience wearing it.

upgrade-me

Rough_Rock

I know there are varying opinions on feathers near/on girdle. Some people tend to stay away due to concerns of durability issues. My current diamond is an SI2 and has a feather on the girdle. The vendor was always upfront with me when I was going through my diamond search (this was my 3rd time with them). I would recommend working with a vendor who will be honest/upfront with you regarding any of your concerns/questions. If they think that feather is an issue, they should tell you so. Good luck.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock

I have an AVC that is an Si2 and it had a feather on the girdle near a corner. It broke the surface coz I can run my finger nail around the girdle and can catch the tiny nick. I had it set it in a simple 4 prong ring, not bezeled or haloed and I never had a problem with it. Recently had it check by a jeweler and its still good. I worried about it when I first got it in 09' but now don't even think about it. I wore it practically everyday for 3 years as it was my main ring. You can get ins. so you can have peace of mind.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not an expert, but can tell you my experience. It may or may not be typical, but I had a feather in the girdle of my VS2 pear. Literally a few weeks after I got it I happened to feel a slightly rough edge. When I got my loop out I could see that the feather was chipped out :o

To the naked eye nothing is visible, and technically my stone has been upgraded because it was the feather that got it graded as VS1, but there obviously is now a nick, or flea bite on the girdle. It could be polished out, but as it doesn't affect the integrity of the stone, I've been advised to leave it be. It's a bad thing to happen, but if polished out & re-appraised, my diamond could be worth more :wink2:

frugalfw

Rough_Rock

Rockinruby -- Thanks very much for taking the time to find and post all the helpful links. I read through them all and found lots of great info (so many opinions on both sides of the fence though...yikes!)!

Diamond_Hawk -- I appreciate you clarifying about the feather breaking the surface. How would you recommend setting this diamond? Would using a setting with thicker prongs or a halo around it give it better protection? It does seem that it is consistently recommended that a feather be set to the side of a prong, regardless of setting.

Upgrade-me, Diamond Bug, and Alex T -- I really appreciate hearing your real-life experiences on living with a diamond with a feather in the girdle. That is a BIG help and I appreciate you taking the time to chime in.

Alex T -- So sorry that you chipped the diamond so soon after getting your ring...ugh!! :shock: Glad to hear that you cannot see it without a loupe though. I suppose if something is going to happen to your diamond, that sounds like it might be the best-case scenario!

Thanks all! : )

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

frugalfw|1437873863|3907526 said:

vs2_inclusions.jpg

Feathers are more of concern in lower clarities and/or when occurring near points. In this case it is a VS clarity in which the feather is not the grade setting feature (cloud is listed first under keys to symbols). I would not consider that to be a durability issue and any good jeweler should be able to set it for you without incident.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

frugalfw|1438069217|3908226 said:
Diamond_Hawk -- I appreciate you clarifying about the feather breaking the surface. How would you recommend setting this diamond? Would using a setting with thicker prongs or a halo around it give it better protection? It does seem that it is consistently recommended that a feather be set to the side of a prong, regardless of setting.

My advice would be pick the setting you prefer to give the appearance you like. At VS clarity the durability really should not be a concern. A competent bench jeweler will set the diamond appropriately. That said, it is always wise to get insurance for your jewelry, but I would not make a setting determination based on a concern for durability on a diamond with this clarity.

frugalfw

Rough_Rock

Texas Leaguer|1438101387|3908345 said:
Feathers are more of concern in lower clarities and/or when occurring near points. In this case it is a VS clarity in which the feather is not the grade setting feature (cloud is listed first under keys to symbols). I would not consider that to be a durability issue and any good jeweler should be able to set it for you without incident.

Thanks so much for the additional information! Just out of curiosity...is it possible that the cloud and the feather are equally both grade setting features? Not sure how the order is decided if that is the case.

frugalfw

Rough_Rock

Diamond_Hawk|1438133242|3908540 said:
frugalfw|1438069217|3908226 said:

My advice would be pick the setting you prefer to give the appearance you like. At VS clarity the durability really should not be a concern. A competent bench jeweler will set the diamond appropriately. That said, it is always wise to get insurance for your jewelry, but I would not make a setting determination based on a concern for durability on a diamond with this clarity.

That helps! Thanks so much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results