shape
carat
color
clarity

Warmer Diamonds? K,L,M?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'll show y'all the dark side, lol. I have a hearts & arrowish modern RB, estimated to be L or M color. That's not a popular item on PS. Most on here think that low colors go with antique cuts and not modern ones.

-- modern H&A type faceting, but an older diamond that has been recut by Brian Gavin
-- Exact cut grade and color unknown. Had no grading lab report of any kind before the recut, and was never sent for one afterward, so it still doesn't have one.
-- shallow stone with close to 60/60 proportions
-- big table by PS standards, and low crown, too
-- set in a bright white gold mounting (rhodium plated) with very white baguettes, with which it contrasts to varying degree depending on the lighting. But if you look at a lot of vintage and antique rings, you'll soon see that there is historical precedent for deliberately pairing a pale yellow center stone with stark white sidestones.
-- Pale yellow tint. This diamond was estimated to be M before the recut, by a trusted local jeweler. Might be L now. It's "whiter" after the recut. But L/M range is still pale yellow.

Specs:
1.020ct after recut by Brian Gavin
6.61-6.64 mm diameter
table 57.9%
depth 58.9%
ca 32.3 -32.5 deg
pa 40.5 - 41.0 deg
lower girdle halves 79%
star / upper ratio 51:49

This stone can have a slightly sallow or possibly greenish undertone in certain lights. In yellow gold, it looked white or creamy white. In the white gold mounting, it faces up very "almost white" but sometimes on overcast days, it looks slightly greenish in the white metal mounting. Moral of the story: Pay attention to the undertones when selecting your mounting. Some stones belong in yg, or might be influenced by presence or absence of colored sidestones. Put this diamond next to ruby or emerald, and it will suddenly look more yellow.

I'm very color-sensitive, as far as seeing tint goes. I call J "yellow" and K "dirty white". L and M are pale yellow to me. N is where it hits the "Too-strong of a yellow" for me, unless I an aiming for an obviously yellow stone. I can usually tell the difference between E and F face-up. I see tints, but anything H or up doesn't bother me. I like the pale yellow of L and M, even in a modern RB.

m_color2.jpg

m_color3.jpg

m_color1_-_copy.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is the same stone before the recut. It was maybe 6.9mm diameter before, but wonky symmetry. The diamond was a good performer before the recut, but just sometimes looked dark like this.

_642.png

_643.png

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this thread. All the diamonds are yummy.

Mine is an L (graded by EGL) so it may be something else. Most of the time it doesn't show any color except from the side. My bathroom is painted yellow so it shows a lot of color in there but the vanity lighting makes the diamond throw all kinds of gorgeous colors (3rd from last pic is in the bathroom). Outside it looks bright white and inside my office it shows a very, very slight tint of body color but I think it adds to the contrast and I love it.

The melee in my ring is J and I can see a difference between the melee and the diamond so I'm glad I didn't get anything lighter.

I didn't set out to buy an L but it was in our budget and it was a sacrifice I was willing to make for the size and the cut and personality make up for it. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a G if it fell from the sky though....

sam_0384.jpg sam_0404.jpg 786.jpg 800.jpg 1054.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
I can't get over how each of these diamonds looks so drastically different in each picture, almost as if the stones have "moods," like people, so dependent on the situation...so gorgeous. I love this thread too!!!

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
TruLuv858|1438124608|3908507 said:
I can't get over how each of these diamonds looks so drastically different in each picture, almost as if the stones have "moods," like people, so dependent on the situation...so gorgeous. I love this thread too!!!

they definitely do, I find it especially true with antique or old cuts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
uixs|1437733364|3906861 said:
I own K 1.38 VVS 3EX faint fluorescent(GIA cert said None fluor but it has fluro in my stone. You can read my thread below)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-gia-make-mistake.214711/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-gia-make-mistake.214711/[/URL]

Anyhow, face up I don't see warm tint most of the time. Because of the fluor or not, my stone looks pretty white depending on the light.
From the side, I can see tint (but really slight tint), it depends on the lighting, too.
Quality of the cut is also helping my stone look whiter.
All the diamond have different personality as you know, so I can't say all Ks look like my stone but I'm really happy with my decision of going with K.

It's cool to see my stone have different appearance in all lightings ;))
I find new side of my stone everyday!
Good luck! and hope these pictures help!

Do tell if you don't mind, what's your finger size??

uixs

Rough_Rock
Niel|1438127428|3908520 said:
uixs|1437733364|3906861 said:
I own K 1.38 VVS 3EX faint fluorescent(GIA cert said None fluor but it has fluro in my stone. You can read my thread below)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-gia-make-mistake.214711/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-gia-make-mistake.214711/[/URL]

Anyhow, face up I don't see warm tint most of the time. Because of the fluor or not, my stone looks pretty white depending on the light.
From the side, I can see tint (but really slight tint), it depends on the lighting, too.
Quality of the cut is also helping my stone look whiter.
All the diamond have different personality as you know, so I can't say all Ks look like my stone but I'm really happy with my decision of going with K.

It's cool to see my stone have different appearance in all lightings ;))
I find new side of my stone everyday!
Good luck! and hope these pictures help!

Do tell if you don't mind, what's your finger size??

Im size 4!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first was a K and and second a J, I made sure both had some flouresecence and I didn't notice tint at all

_645.png

_32861.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Lookinagain|1438373534|3909522 said:
Here is my GIA K, VS1 2.13 ct OEC. It really faces up white to me but I do see a little bit of tint from the side.

Wow, this looks huge, do you have anymore pics, and specs? Specifically dimensions and your ring size? Beautiful stone!!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TruLuv858|1438453223|3909811 said:
Lookinagain|1438373534|3909522 said:
Here is my GIA K, VS1 2.13 ct OEC. It really faces up white to me but I do see a little bit of tint from the side.

Wow, this looks huge, do you have anymore pics, and specs? Specifically dimensions and your ring size? Beautiful stone!!!

I think it's just the macro lens that makes it look huge. I'm a size 6 finger and the dimensions are 8.12 x 8.13. Here is another photo that shows it better on the hand, although it doesn't show the stone very clearly ( but is sure shows my wrinkled knuckles!)

_32897.jpg

praween_s

Shiny_Rock
my K Emerald Cut.

_33833.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
TruLuv858|1437739534|3906880 said:
Valmanin - your OEC is beautiful, I am curious what are the dimensions and your finger size? Adam at OWD asked I would consider an OEC, and while initially I said no, I am starting to reconsider... as I originally wanted to halo, but am begining to wonder if it isn't the best idea, should I choose a warmer stone. Also, I, personally am not a huge fan of halos on round diamonds. I LOVE halos, just not on a round, so should I go the OEC route, I would set it in some sort of unique solitaire setting with pave on the shank... I am trying to stay open minded, as an OEC would face up much larger.

Just want to point out that just because you have a warmer stone, it doesn't mean a halo won't work. I also have a GIA M OEC that is set in a halo, and most of the time there is no contrast between the melee in the halo and my center stone. I chose J/K single cut melee for my halo for the very reason that I DIDN'T want there to be a huge contrast, and it worked out fabulously. Though my M faces up pretty white anyway!

img_4171.jpg

img_4174.jpg

Most of the time it just picks up its surrounding colors, anyway-- :naughty:

img_4146.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
And one more just because I can't resist [emoji6] -

uploadfromtaptalk1441047959694.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1441047969|3921740 said:

I LOVE your gorgeous ring star sparkle. It is a masterpiece. :love:

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TruLuv858|1438124608|3908507 said:

This is part of the innate beauty and charm of the old gals - 6 different diamonds all graded the same color by the same lab will all face up differently. I have seen some GIA Ms which blew some GIA Ks out of the water (the reverse is also true). Hence, you do need to see the stone in person first (I'm sure you have heard this at least a hundred times, but its really sage advise)!

Lots of luck!!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a smaller, uncerted K at 67 points. There are no side stones or melee to compare, and I've never noticed the color, unless I'm looking for it.

2010-5-4%20014.jpg
2010-5-4%20015.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372883059138.jpg

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Grace is absolutely right - I've seen this as well. Since color is graded from face down, there is often quite a range in how tinted or white a warm colored old cut can face. Each OEC is totally unique not only in this regard, but also in the facet pattern, light play, and personality in general. Some people prefer more tint from face up and some prefer less - it depends on the setting and overall look one is going for.

Once you find some contenders, ask the vendor to take some side by side photos and videos of the stone(s) you're considering, even next to higher and lower colored stones you aren't considering, to get a sense of how they each face up and perform - ideally in different lighting conditions. I've found that this is really helpful when people are trying to choose between two or more options.

Good luck with your search!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1441047969|3921740 said:

I NEED to ogle more pictures of this stunner! Is there a SMTB thread somewhere? :love:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1441105108|3922017 said:
I LOVE your gorgeous ring star sparkle. It is a masterpiece. :love:

Aww, thanks so much, missy!! :wavey:

JoCoJenn|1441234937|3922852 said:
I NEED to ogle more pictures of this stunner! Is there a SMTB thread somewhere? :love:

Lol! Yes, you can find more photos here. Thank you!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_3770.jpg
Here is my K. Some days it behaves better than others.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stones on this thread!!! I LOVE warm diamonds.
here's my gia m vs2 cushion

my_warm_diamond.jpg

warm2.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
My experience has been the same as Valminin, I enjoy some moods of warm colored OEC's like when they take on a ivory/vanilla tone (I enjoy this more than white) however, you have to accept other times such as the tint. When set in rose gold my OEC would take on a green cast in the car. Very honest post from Valminin and true to the warm colored diamonds I have owned.

Vanilla Bling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_0410.JPG IMG_0412.JPG Here is mine it's a VS1-1.36 L in color , I love it but would like a different setting.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2304.jpg My K, VS1, OEC. It's in jewelry store lighting next to a GIA G radiant cut, just for fun.

IMG_2154.JPG
In my car. I don't notice the tint.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunny day. I love how metallic it looks.
IMG_0435.JPG

Overcast day
IMG_0429.JPG

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I prefer warmer tones. I also prefer yellow gold and the two of those go hand in hand beautifully. I have a 2ct oec M and just shy of a 5ct antique cushion K. Loves of my fingers life!

plpinkinsa

Rough_Rock
1.72 ct GIA M color SI1 medium culet set in rose gold with a rose gold basket cupping the back of the diamond...

Before set was creamy...
image_34408663795_o.jpg
What it looks like indoors...
33566810034_4de78b1686_o.jpg
In the sun...
IMG_0190.JPG

Haseman1990

Rough_Rock
IMG_1952.JPG
This is my L 1 CT, is looks warner in some lights, but cool in others. I adore it and I actually love the warmer stones.

Hi All,

I am looking at upgrading my Diamond, and due to my budget, I have to make a few compromises... no big deal, but I am realizing that I can afford a lot more if I am willing to look at warmer diamonds. I currently have a J, and never thought I would consider anything warmer, but it seems some of the stones face up pretty white... any of you care to share your rings on your hand? Is there a thread out there I am missing? I am speaking with Adam at Old World, and because of the type of cut I want, I think I can swing it (Antique cushion).

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_9601.JPG

My OEC marquis it is a little warmer than some in the O-P range. My little bit of sunshine

Attachments

• IMG_9600.JPG
    IMG_9600.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 20
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results