shape
carat
color
clarity

30 years old, first set of pearls. 7.5 to 8mm akoyas?

Katiestardust

Rough_Rock
My fiancé has decided that I need a set of pearls for our wedding day. Who am I to argue? ;-)

We've looked over several retailers' offerings and decided on an 18" strand of akoyas.

PP has a pretty good deal on a hanadama strand that's 7.5 to 8 and I'm thinking of taking the plunge. My fiancé prefers larger, but the closest size I tried on was actually 7 - 7.5, and I thought they looked dainty but pretty! On the other hand, many suggest going bigger so the strand ages well. I have a small to medium frame, if it matters. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! What a wonderful fiancee!

Hanadamas is a great way to go (especially PPs) but let me be honest, a lot of people like larger pearls as they get older. (called pearl shrinkage syndrome, its an epidemic on this board) I would recommend getting as large as you are comfortable with and can afford, 8.5-9 mm are a really beautiful size that will stand the tests of time, be classic timeless, and won't overpower. If you get something small say in a few years you decided you want bigger you may not wear these guys as much as you may think.

that is just my opinion on it. just going up .5-1mm can make a huge difference!!!

ALSO if you want matching earrings too best to get them at the same time as the necklace, you'd be surprised how many "whites" are out there.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearls are 3-dimensional so it is true that a small increment in diameter adds a much larger increment in volume. Say you increase by 1mm. That extra 1mm is all around the pearl in 3 dimensions.

I did the math, using the formula for finding the volume of a sphere.
An 8mm pearl is 49% larger than a 7mm pearl. Basically, one and a half times as large.
A 9mm pearl is twice as large as a 7mm pearl.

Go larger if you can. Then the pearls will continue to be relevant to your wardrobe for many years to come.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I think an 8mm pearl size is perfectly nice, especially for a wedding, especially for Akoyas. I wear my 7.5-8mm pearls more than any others.

Whenever I wear the jumbo sized pearls, I feel like I should be running for Congress. :lol:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akoya pearls do take a considerable price jump at 8mm+ , if money is a consideration (and it usually is for most of us.)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My first strand was a 9mm akoya when I was in my 30's. I wore them daily for over 15 years. I thought they were huge but I really loved them. Now that I am in my 60's I can still pull them out and wear them and not feel like they are small. I have since bought strands in the 6 to 8 range and feel they are on the small size. Pearl srinkage syndrome is a live and well and something that pearl lovers eventualy get.

My advice is since you are investing in the hamadama strand to with the largest size your budget will allow. That is an investment strand and since it is a wedding strand you will be able to pull it out on your 50th anniversery and wear it with pride with out any thought it is to small for your advanced age.

May your uncomming marriage be a blessed long and happy one.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
A Hanadama strand is an investment, and if you can comfortably afford to go larger, I would.

I bought my first set of "serious" pearls when I was 32 and a size 4. I bought 7-7.5 mm AAA akoyas, which looked very good on me at the time. I contemplated spending a little more to get 7.5-8 mm akoyas, but my DH (then fiance) thought they looked too big, especially since I planned to wear 2 or 3 strands together. Fast forward a decade and a few dress sizes, and I never wear those pearls anymore because they look too petite and juvenile on me.

I now have an 8-8.5 mm strand of Freshadamas from PP, and I think that size looks good. I really love how my 9-9.5 mm strand of baroque akoyas looks on me. I wish I could get back the money I spent on the 7-7.5 mm strands and put it toward an 8 mm or larger strand of Hanadamas.

I hope you and your future husband have a long and happy life together.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Every jump in mm size will add roughly 50% more weight to the strand.

My first opera length strand are about 6 mm, and are very light weight and easy to wear. My choker of 7 mm is also very comfortable and still looks good.

I recently got an opera length strand of Hamadamas in 8 mm and they are heavy. I was amazed how much heavier they are. I also got a double strand of Freshadamas in 8mm (so about the same number of pearls as the previous necklace), and they are heavy. I like the size of the pearls, though.

However, I can attest to pearl shrinkage syndrome. As I'm buying the larger pearls, my smaller ones are looking a bit juvenile. However, if they are too big, I feel like Wilma Flintstone, or like I'm wearing gum balls. My opinion is changing about that as I'm seeing some absolutely lustworthy large pearls.

I also just bought 9 mm and 10 mm baroque akoyas in princess length strands, and although heavier than I'm used to, I'm quickly getting used to it.

I would say, look at your clothing size. If you are petite, smaller pearls will look good on you. If you are larger, or your weight fluctuates, then definitely go with larger pearls.

However, if going with the smaller pearls means getting BETTER pearls for the same money as larger pearls, then go with the smaller size.

Katiestardust

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your wonderful advice + thoughtful words! I thought I would give you an update on the "compromise" my sweet fiance suggested.

We are going to go with my original choice, the "dainty" 7.5-8 hanadamas. I'll also be getting a bracelet and earrings, as it hadn't occurred to me that it would be difficult to match after the fact! The strand is at a very good pricepoint right now, and unfortunately the next sizes up are just a bit too high for our budget at the moment, especially given that we are now investing in the whole "set" for matching purposes.

I do think the size will look very pretty with my wedding dress on the big day.

HOWEVER, your advice about larger sizes' longevity absolutely wasn't lost on me. So my fiance has offered that my one year anniversary present be a strand of 8.5-9 (or maybe larger? ;-) ) Freshadamas that will take me into my forties and beyond. These will be my "workhorse" strand, whereas I will wear the akoyas on more formal occasions.

Thank you again for sharing your expertise. I am so excited to start my collection and post in the "what are you wearing today?" threads along side your beautiful collections!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
A comment about "matching" pearls.

My first pearls were all bought at different times from different vendors, and oddly enough, they all match perfectly.

It's only the pearls I've bought recently that seem to have colors all over the place.

I think it's because my original pearls were from a time (1980s) when all white akoyas where "pinked" as that's what was expected in a classic pearl, and freshwaters all looked like Rice Krispies.

Now, I'm finding all colors of akoyas. And freshwater pearls are so round that they give akoyas a run for their money. The freshies are getting bigger and competing a bit with South Sea pearls, too.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some thoughts:

Highly lustrous pearls appear larger than duller pearls of the same size. I had a friend whose wedding strand was gem grade akoyas that were only 4mm. They were stunning! The luster more than canceled out the size. She was slender, though not petite.

If you like, you can wear an enhancer for the wedding. That is what I did, and my wedding pearls were only 6mm.

It's true that non-bead-nucleated freshwaters are better for everyday wear than akoyas. That would be a good strand to go larger with.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves|1438177377|3908642 said:
However, if they are too big, I feel like Wilma Flintstone, or like I'm wearing gum balls. My opinion is changing about that as I'm seeing some absolutely lustworthy large pearls.

Funny you should mention gumballs. The other day, I met a woman who was wearing enormous pearls, and I honestly couldn't tell if they were real or fake. They looked like Tahitians, perfectly round, very large mm, nice colors. If they were real, that necklace would have been VERY expensive, and yet the woman wore them casually. I suppose if I had a $30,000 necklace, I might wear it with crop pants, but I don't know.

You'd think I'd have enough experience to know real from fake, but from social distance, I couldn't.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Speaking of gum balls, my first real strand of white pearls purchased earlier this year are a little over 12 mm. Large for every day, but I love them so much, feeling like a queen. I wear them often with Capri's and Jeans.

May God bless your new life!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1438215090|3908825 said:
Funny you should mention gumballs. The other day, I met a woman who was wearing enormous pearls, and I honestly couldn't tell if they were real or fake. They looked like Tahitians, perfectly round, very large mm, nice colors. If they were real, that necklace would have been VERY expensive, and yet the woman wore them casually.

Wanted to add, it dawned on me that they must have been shell pearls.

Back to the original question, in addition to what pearlsngems said about highly lustrous pearls appearing larger, white pearls will appear visually larger than dark pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results