shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparison between 2.55 and 2.59 round stones

Chanel134

Rough_Rock
I was wondering what the big different in price was between these two stones. Both are F color but one is VS2 and one is VS1.
Here are the GIA Report numbers.

GIA 17444497 and the other is GIA 15600625. Please let me know which is better and will sparkle more. One of them looks dark inside but sparkly at night. I've been trying to read on grading diamonds but language is difficult to understand.
Thanks for help in advance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can run the numbers through the HCA tool to see how well they do. We look for stones to score 2 or under. Those stones
are worth a further look. I'm afraid both these stones have issues.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

D_

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

The VS2 will more likely to be a better performer (and priced higher), even then it could be better.

The VS1 has large table and slightly shallow crown angle -> less fire, and has higher risk of chipping, esp when coupled with thin girdle.
It also has bigger variation in girdle thickness (shows less even cutting).

Some people may like 60:60 diamonds (~60% table and ~60% height), but there are specific sets of crown and pavilion angle combinations that may make it work (and you may need to look at one to decide if you like it personally). Crown angle is on the shallower side and pavilion steeper on this one. If you are just narrowing some diamonds down to get a sparkly one, with great diamonds abound, I'd probably skip it (and perhaps even the other one, like tyty said - unless price is really attractive) and find one within "safer" parameters.

Maybe others can chime in?

Chanel134

Rough_Rock
Ok the 2.59 VS1 was 15,000 more and looked beautiful. I got a discount and then the store reneged on sale after I paid ( store out of business now). A year later I got the other one. It is beautiful (it's VS2). It is triple x but sometimes it looks dark inside and I was wondering why it looks different in different lighting. I have it at the vault now and was wondering what the stone is worth now. My jeweler feels he has a buyer for it.

D_

Shiny_Rock
:confused:
That is really interesting!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds often look different in different lighting, and even ideal cuts might appear dark in certain spot lighting. But the VS2 looks pretty good other than its pavilion angle is 41.4, and we generally want to see a pavilion angle of no higher than 41.0 with a crown angle of 34. It may have some leakage and that could be what you are seeing. A stone with these measurements really needs a light return image such as idealscope or ASET to see if there is leakage and whether it might be a stone to reject. The GIA Excellent cut is very broad, and some are more worthy of the excellent grade than others.

As far as the pricing goes, the first jeweler may have been overcharging, but there can be great variation in diamond prices. I just looked on the PS search and there were 5 diamond listings, GIA XXX, F VS2, between 2.5-2.59 cts and they ranged from $31-42k.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results