shape
carat
color
clarity

finding shirts

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe a weird question but I hope not. I am wondering where you get your tops? I have ordered a few from Zappos b/c of the free shipping both ways-the only thing I'm out really is the $$ on the card in the meantime, if something doesn't fit. It's much easier for me to try things on, but stores are an hour away, so not like I can just spur of the moment go shopping.

I used to shop often, I could go myself and find things that looked good and that was the end of it. Now my body is completely *nothing* like it used to be and I'd given up looking, and just get men's tshirts from Target. But, now I'm getting to where I'd like to take more care of how I look, like I used to---buuuut I am lost on how to dress this body. Lost I say.

I used to have no chest, and be super lean. Now..no. After the kids now 11 years later I've gone from AA to C/D's- :shock: and I have a tummy. Not a little poochy tummy, the whole front is a good few inches of sticking out. Shirts seem to look...odd on me. Like maternity shirts or something-my chest is out and then the shirt goes straight down from it so it looks from the side like I'm a big marshmallow in the torso. And I'm short, so I feel even more stumpy when I'm wearing a marshmallow shirt.

I'm flummoxed. Do I need to just leave the kids w/JD and suck it up and spend a day at the mall by myself? Are there certain styles to look for and to stay away from?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Chico's? Their seems to be tolerant of more body types and configurations than most mainstream stuff. To be honest, their target market seems to be the retired set - the better off retired set, at that - but it's reasonably stylish for what it is. More to the point, they do carry some button-downs that you don't have to be stick-thin to wear. Their sizing is just weird so it's probably best to go in to a store before trying to buy from them on-line. They do have some really good on-line sales though.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is totally why I started making my own. I would go shopping at New York & Company and Kohls. But with the prices of everything continuing to rise I figured I'd start sewing. If you are a mind of doing that you may want to check some of the indie companies that cater to the C/D cup size (the ones in the stores cater to a B cup)...check http://www.curvysewingcollective.com for ladies who are not the "typical" body shape that we often see in the fashion magazines. They also will give their measurements which is helpful. :D

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of shirts are you looking for? T-shirts, casual, button down? Land's End has 30% off now, but they don't have free returns. I believe Nordstrom has free shipping and free returns. I am about to return a bunch of tops that do not work for me. Either everything is too fitted, or if it's not fitted, then it's too drapey . . .

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it! I'll pull Chico's up and see what I find..there's one in the outdoor mall across from the regular mall in the city so that's a place at least I can check out in person.

hohohoho I don't know about sewing my own clothes-tho it would probably be the smarter move!

Just any kind of shirts I guess...this is one I just got, in the papaya color and it looks pretty cute on. (5-10# off and it'd look better) http://www.zappos.com/carve-designs-newport-tank-white?utm_term=SKU-8275042&utm_campaign=product_page_badge&utm_medium=socialearned&utm_source=pinterest&mr:trackingCode=EAD6AD05-72DA-E411-AAA2-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA

and this one is coming today in a smaller size to see if it fits any better
http://www.zappos.com/bench-pillarz-short-sleeve-top-bright-white?utm_term=SKU-8611297&utm_campaign=product_page_badge&utm_medium=socialearned&utm_source=pinterest&mr:trackingCode=A756851A-981F-E511-80F8-0050569475F3&mr:referralID=NA

I'd like sleeveless/ss tops that I can wear w/capris or w/skirts. I like pretty plain ones, not a lot of pattern (I have enough pattern on my arms haha). Sort of sporty/athletic/outdoorsy. Ones w/the elastic ruching on the bottom seem to look nice. I got this top last week at Scheels http://www.aventuraclothing.com/shop/M601974-271/detail

That was a random find too, just something to try on w/a green skirt-that turned out to be the same brand and obviously went w/the shirt!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For casual clothes, I swear by Jamsworld's Men's XL Retro Shirts and for dressier events, their Peek-A-Boo top in XL (I am size 20/22 UK which is 16/18 US I believe).

I could do with a roomier and longer Peek-A-Boo top, as I prefer my clothes to be loose fitting. Men's XL fits me well (2XL is what I nomrally buy for cotton Hawaiian shirts as they are stiffer).

I import them from Hawaii into UK, normally twice a year, and have a few on their way to me in time to wear before the season changes.

Don't be put off by their bright and colourful designs, as they make them in plain colours too.

DK :))

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find drapey tops and then I just sort of tuck in a little bit of the front. I find this to be the best way to hide my newly acquired weight gain.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I just got these Jag jeans and LOVE them!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope this post doesn't come across in 'the wrong way' and I certainly wouldn't wish to sound sexist or like I'm stereotyping the world! :shock: but if you are wearing reasonably low-cut tops that emphasise your, er, assets :???: then many/most people will likely be paying very little attention to anything else, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on one's viewpoint... lol

As a slightly off-the-wall train of thought, do you do yoga or pilates? They would very probably give you the best posture possible and a core of steel, which always helps keep whatever you've got looking the best it can, no matter what it is :) And they make you feel better through better strength and fitness!

My core is terribly weak - I've bulked up a reasonable amount of muscle size with getting older and going to the gym, but when it comes to planks or similar requiring good core strength, I am usually bested by virtually everyone in the various classes I go to... lol

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I find V necks are pretty flattering to just about anyone.

I also like banded tops because they drape a certain way that I think is flattering. And I like t shirts that have darts on the side at the waist. This creates a more flattering waist I think.

I have a pic of a tank that I own in about 5 colors, lol...it has the banded waist but it's hard to see in the pic exactly what I mean - maybe if you zoom in. I don't like to show my arms even though I love tanks, so I wear a lot of sweaters over tanks in the winter and in the summer, those short little open cardigan type sweaters with short sleeves - they have a specific name but it is totally escaping me, lol!

I like long drapey cardigans and they look great over a tank, see second pic. I have this exact cardigan too and I love it, I wish it came in different colors, I'd buy them all!

These are from Lane Bryant which I think starts at size 14, so may be too big for you to consider. But you can get the general idea :)

_32626.jpg

_32627.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
SMC|1437607001|3906289 said:
Would you consider changing your bottoms instead? I read this review on Jag jeans, and am going to try them. The "after" effect looks pretty cool. I just ordered them from Amazon.

http://www.frugallivingnw.com/jag-pull-on-jeans-review/

you know what, I've looked at those pants on Zappos many times and never bought. I am SO pulling Zappos up right now and ordering. Thanks!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Check Amazon too. They have free shipping and free returns for these jeans too. Might be cheaper. Also Nordstrom has free returns and shipping.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
OoohShiny|1437610694|3906300 said:
I hope this post doesn't come across in 'the wrong way' and I certainly wouldn't wish to sound sexist or like I'm stereotyping the world! :shock: but if you are wearing reasonably low-cut tops that emphasise your, er, assets :???: then many/most people will likely be paying very little attention to anything else, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on one's viewpoint... lol

As a slightly off-the-wall train of thought, do you do yoga or pilates? They would very probably give you the best posture possible and a core of steel, which always helps keep whatever you've got looking the best it can, no matter what it is :) And they make you feel better through better strength and fitness!

My core is terribly weak - I've bulked up a reasonable amount of muscle size with getting older and going to the gym, but when it comes to planks or similar requiring good core strength, I am usually bested by virtually everyone in the various classes I go to... lol

hahahahaha No, I don't really wear anything that is really low cut-I'm too self conscious for that. Rarely anything that even skims the top of my cleavage.

I need to get back into yoga-I used to do it everyday. I do try and stand as straight/tall as I can b/c I know things look better. I started taekwondo last night so that will be a nice workout too I think.

When I look in the mirror if I am completely objective and not being mean to myself, I am overweight, but not *horribly/hugely* so. I'm larger than when we got married, but I know that I have more muscle on me than I used to..and now of course more fat on top of that, ha! I'm built like a gymnast-short, compact, muscular...just I can't do a cartwheel anymore to save my life and I need to lose 40#.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
SMC, might I add, I've not worn jeans in...at *least* five years! Scrub pants, khaki's, exercise pants have been my wardrobe.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Katharath-I really like that purple tank! That's along the lines of what I like to wear. It also seems like they're less apt to ride up when you lift your arms up. I hate lifting my arms and having my shirt ride up so my belly shows.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I've also heard good things about the brand Pleione: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/pleione#category=b60131689&type=category&defaultsize3=&size=&width=&color=&price=&stores=&instoreavailability=false&lastfilter=&sizeFinderId=2&resultsmode=&segmentId=0&sort=sale&sortreverse=0&page=1

Their tops look like they're cut to disguise but don't look overly tunic-y.

katharath|1437614080|3906309 said:
I have a pic of a tank that I own in about 5 colors, lol...it has the banded waist but it's hard to see in the pic exactly what I mean - maybe if you zoom in. I don't like to show my arms even though I love tanks, so I wear a lot of sweaters over tanks in the winter and in the summer, those short little open cardigan type sweaters with short sleeves - they have a specific name but it is totally escaping me, lol!
I think it's called a bolero.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
SMC - no, bolero isn't what I was specifically thinking of, but when I was posting yesterday it kept popping into my head trying to tell me it was the right answer, lol!! The style is very similar to bolero but I think a bolero is intended to have long sleeves whereas this style doesn't. I could be wrong but...

I remembered!! The word I was looking for was... shrug! A shrug style sweater, very casual - that's what I wear over tanks in the summer. It was really annoying me not being able to get it. I will obsess over something like that until I can find the exact word I wanted, but then I'm weird like that ;-)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ordered a pair of Jag jeans and a couple nicer tshirts from Nordstroms! So, a little at least to start!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good stuff, keep us updated!

It would be much easier if everyone was the same shape, but any given size as an apple body is very different to the same size in an hourglass body, for example! :lol:

Hope you can get back into the yoga once you've settled into the taekwondo :) I really should try yoga, might help my terrible back... lol I've done a few pilates classes but they don't feel like proper exercise as I'm not struggling to breathe or working to failure!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think fabric makes a huge difference. I avoid any clingy type of fabric because it is unforgiving. I also avoid really long shirts since I am also shorter and I think it looks odd. I have luck at loft, banana, talbots, and jjill. When I find one that works I buy a few colors.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went to JCP quick b/c I saw online they're having a big sale and we were up at the city anyway. JD was getting irritated w/how long it was taking so I just put everything back and we left. I did find a few shirts that were nice, but they were more dressy shirts and I don't wear a lot of them. I'd like to have a few tho. But it's an option anyway, for a place to look when I have more time to sort thru racks and racks of clothing that is not in any order of size or style. Makes me long for the days when most everything looked good on me-now I have to be so picky about everything. Maybe I can get my mom to come w/me later next week to spend a day up there.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a Sears nearby? I used to order from lands end and return at Sears. I also tend to order from Nordstrom online and return in store. If there is a Nordstrom nearby, a Nordstrom card is worth getting because you get a $200 alterations allowance annually. You pay for the alterations on the card and they reimburse that amount as a Nordstrom note. Totally worth it because I used to buy pants at Macy's and then pay extra for alterations at a tailor in the mall.

Now I try to buy things that will run big on me from nordstroms, e.g., jeans usually are a foot too long if they fit everywhere else on me to take advantage of my alterations allowance. i just picked up a leather jacket and needed the sleeves shortened - $35 from my allowance lol.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
No-that's one of the sucky things about living out in the boonies--the closest place to shop is 1 hour away. We have a Sears/JCP/Younkers as far as that goes. It's a couple hours away to find a Nordstrom or Macy's. There's an outlet mall in Omaha we're going to the beginning of August to do school clothes shopping w/the kids--I'll do some checking around down there for more clothes. They have a huge number of shops, and they have Nike/Columbia/Under Armour, so I can look for some sporty/active looking clothes also.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1437877205|3907540 said:
No-that's one of the sucky things about living out in the boonies--the closest place to shop is 1 hour away. We have a Sears/JCP/Younkers as far as that goes. It's a couple hours away to find a Nordstrom or Macy's. There's an outlet mall in Omaha we're going to the beginning of August to do school clothes shopping w/the kids--I'll do some checking around down there for more clothes. They have a huge number of shops, and they have Nike/Columbia/Under Armour, so I can look for some sporty/active looking clothes also.

Oh, good, a Sears! Be a loon like me and order up a storm from lands end! +/- a size based on reviews, regular size, petite size, etc. it's a very goldilocks experience lol, but there are more sizes available online than in store. I loved getting pants and specifying to the quarter inch the length I wanted. I quit shopping at lands end when I stopped working in an office...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then I was the loon returning the same piece of clothing in three different sizes to Sears...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will look at LE this afternoon and see what I find, thanks!

On a side note, guess who got some jeans from Zappos today and guess who has jeans on for the first time in..five or better years??? The size I got, the waist band is maybe a little loose, but I dunno if I go a size down if they'd be too tight everywhere else. Free shipping, i guess it's no big deal to compare. But I put that white shirt on that I really liked but it didn't seem to look good on me and yay! Now I need to see what else JAG offers. What a great suggestion, thanks!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am fat--all in my gut fat--and look like I am basically about to give birth. Not at all pregnant but everyone assumes I am damn far along in my imaginary pregnancy.

I buy most of my tops from Eloquii, Lane Bryant, Nordstrom and sometimes Target and Lands End. Occasionally I find a winner at Old Navy or something too. Basically I found a uniform that fits and I stick with it. I am always an XL, XXL, or 1-2x depending on brand.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Will look at LE this afternoon and see what I find, thanks!

On a side note, guess who got some jeans from Zappos today and guess who has jeans on for the first time in..five or better years??? The size I got, the waist band is maybe a little loose, but I dunno if I go a size down if they'd be too tight everywhere else. Free shipping, i guess it's no big deal to compare. But I put that white shirt on that I really liked but it didn't seem to look good on me and yay! Now I need to see what else JAG offers. What a great suggestion, thanks!
It seems like Jag jeans run big, no harm trying the smaller size and seeing what happens. I find lots of jeans stretch out during the day as well, so it's no good if they start out loose.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kohl's. V-necks. Drapey tops (sounds like I have the same body type as you!), and some more form fitting t's - I have to try them on to make sure, and there isn't always a great selection in the petites section, but repeat visits prove fruitful as inventory changes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results