shape
carat
color
clarity

4.01ct Brazilian Paraiba Tourmaline

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry this has taken so long to post but believe it or not, Fedex lost this stone temporarily! It took 5 or 6 weeks to get from Jerry at Paraiba International in New York to me in England! This was a first for me and him and we couldn't believe it when Fedex found the package.

Anyway, here it is! The inclusions are not as obvious as the photos/video on Jerry's website (as I suspected) and all you really see is colour. In terms of colour (surprisingly) it's the same as a couple of the very good ones I own from Mozambique. It has the same glow and neon quality as them - it would be very difficult to distinguish locality if you didn't know which was which.

The only disappointment is that because it's a cabochon and not faceted, the clarity means when the stone is on the hand, you see the skin colour so I will have to have a custom made white gold basket so the colour is reflected back to the eye. I should have realised that in all honesty but didn't!

On the plus side, the colour is remarkably similar in all lighting conditions - inside with lights on/off and outside in bright or diffused sunlight. It really does retain the neon colour at all times.

EDIT: For some reason, the colour seems to have adjusted when I upload and the photos don't appear to be as vibrant! Not sure why!

paraiba_10.jpg

paraiba_11.jpg

paraiba_12.jpg

paraiba_13.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! Glad Fedex found your package. It has been lost for quite a while.

I am so glad it's a keeper! Your stone looks stunning. Thanks for sharing your pics.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1437847211|3907358 said:
Oh my! Glad Fedex found your package. It has been lost for quite a while.

I am so glad it's a keeper! Your stone looks stunning. Thanks for sharing your pics.

When the package turned up I was convinced the stone wouldn't be inside but it was! It certainly had it's own little road trip!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: and can't wait to see how you set it.

So glad it got found :clap:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a lovely stone, and I look forward to seeing the finished ring, thanks for sharing.

DK :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1437844811|3907338 said:
Anyway, here it is! The inclusions are not as obvious as the photos/video on Jerry's website (as I suspected) and all you really see is colour. In terms of colour (surprisingly) it's the same as a couple of the very good ones I own from Mozambique. It has the same glow and neon quality as them - it would be very difficult to distinguish locality if you didn't know which was which.

The only disappointment is that because it's a cabochon and not faceted, the clarity means when the stone is on the hand, you see the skin colour so I will have to have a custom made white gold basket so the colour is reflected back to the eye. I should have realised that in all honesty but didn't!

On the plus side, the colour is remarkably similar in all lighting conditions - inside with lights on/off and outside in bright or diffused sunlight. It really does retain the neon colour at all times.

LD, I'm confused (easy to do, I know). How so that the clarity means you can see your skin color? Is it that the inclusions block the color or block the light flow? If you wouldn't mind elaborating, it would help me to understand, especially as the inclusions are less obvious than you thought and the color and glow are there... :confused:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1437853665|3907410 said:

LD, I'm confused (easy to do, I know). How so that the clarity means you can see your skin color? Is it that the inclusions block the color or block the light flow? If you wouldn't mind elaborating, it would help me to understand, especially as the inclusions are less obvious than you thought and the color and glow are there... :confused:

If you ignore the inclusions, the stone has good clarity and because it's a cabochon there are no facets so when you put the stone on anything, the colour comes through the stone as there are no facets to bounce the light back. For example, if I were to put it on a black surface, you'd see the black through the stone as there's no opacity or facets so you see right through the stone. This affects the colour. Does that make sense?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1437854000|3907413 said:

If you ignore the inclusions, the stone has good clarity and because it's a cabochon there are no facets so when you put the stone on anything, the colour comes through the stone as there are no facets to bounce the light back. For example, if I were to put it on a black surface, you'd see the black through the stone as there's no opacity or facets so you see right through the stone. This affects the colour. Does that make sense?

Got it! I thought you were somehow attributing the ability to see through it to the inclusions and that was confuzzling me. ;))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1437854123|3907414 said:
LD |1437854000|3907413 said:

Got it! I thought you were somehow attributing the ability to see through it to the inclusions and that was confuzzling me. ;))

Sorry I can see how that was confusing! x :oops:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone LD, enjoy!

I hope you set it soon!

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Lovely stone! Sooooo glad it was found (not anywhere near as glad as you are, I'm sure)! :appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a neon raindrop, it's gorgeous, glad it is not lost. :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Returning to your thread, hoping for more pics :naughty:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I hope you love it when you get it. =)

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! Can't wait to see more pics! It's lovely! :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my goodness, that is gorgeous! It is so bright and glowing. :) Thanks for sharing your pics.. can I ask you to post more????? :cheeky:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely!!! You must be so relieved it turned up.... Can't wait to see more pics!!!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fantastic gem, congrats!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
What a journey it took to get to you! Very glad it did though. :) Beautiful stone! You have such an amazing collection! I am very interested to see how you will have this paraiba cab set.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
WOW! :shock: That's just gorgeous! :love: :love:

I think a foiled stone would be so awesome, I love seeing them in antique jewelry! They are so glowy and cool. You're really lucky that you get to make one that's new and fresh. Fantastic! I envy you your future "foiled" gem. =)

If it were me, I would leave a little space between the stone and the backing so that an ultrasonic can get in there. I adore the stone and it's going to look so awesome on your finger, very graceful shape.

Lucky dog! :clap:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1438008689|3907930 said:
WOW! :shock: That's just gorgeous! :love: :love:

I think a foiled stone would be so awesome, I love seeing them in antique jewelry! They are so glowy and cool. You're really lucky that you get to make one that's new and fresh. Fantastic! I envy you your future "foiled" gem. =)

If it were me, I would leave a little space between the stone and the backing so that an ultrasonic can get in there. I adore the stone and it's going to look so awesome on your finger, very graceful shape.

Lucky dog! :clap:

iLander I don't think, even with my risk taking, that I'd put a tourmaline into an ultrasonic! Nope it's going to be a baby toothbrush and soap all the way for this one.

I'm surprised you all want to see more photos but I'll try to take some tomorrow. I might put it next to the Mozambiques just for interest.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful gem LD! I love the neon color. :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Nice to see you here LD. Thx for sharing your lovely stone.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's so beautiful! You must be so patient. I would have been going nuts if my stone was temporarily lost and took so long to get to me. Your patience was rewarded.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
hmmmm... this thread is pretty old

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOLOL...Pink Jewel, I was thinking the same thing. I was reading LD's post and thinking how nice it was to see her still around scooping up cuprians....lo and behold, it's 2015!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results