shape
carat
color
clarity

What to choose ...

Touti

Rough_Rock
if you were to pick one of the following, what would be your choice? and how would you rank them? many thanks from a clueless brother! :D :D

1) Brilliant: 0,71 Carat, Color G, Clarity VVS2, Cut very good, Symmetry excellent. GIA.
Or
2) Brilliant: 0,79 Carat, Color G, Clarity VS2, Cut excellent, Symmetry excellent.GIA.
Or
3) Brilliant: 0,81 Carat, Color G, Clarity VS2, Cut excellent, Symmetry excellent.GIA.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You havent really given us enough information to make an educated decision. I would probably stick with an "Excellent"
cut but even that category has some stones with leakage in them.

Enter the numbers from the stones in the HCA to see how they score. Look for stones that score 2 or under. You can also
request idealscope images to check on leakage.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Have you reserved these stones? Can you provide links to them?

Touti

Rough_Rock
I reduced my choice to those this one, is it worth 4.6k?

capture1_2.jpg
capture4_0.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a 60/60 stone - https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond

The table is big, and the crown angle is low. It may sparkle, but there will be more white light return and less fire (less colored light return). Some people like the look of 60/60's, and sometimes they face up slightly larger than an equivalently weighted ideal cut stone, but it may not look it if the light return is not as good.

Is there a reason you went so high in clarity?

I'd keep looking.

Touti

Rough_Rock
totally agree! thanks!

I got two more alternatives, with different proportions and not as high as VVS2

are the proportions better? they are both quite similar

vs1.jpg

vs2.jpg

BUT the HCA is significantly worse than the one in the previous post. Or am I misinterpreting the HCA results?

2_24.jpg
1_53.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't look good... :knockout: Too deep.

Touti

Rough_Rock
what are the "ideal" proportions, depth 59% ? how about the table also around 59% or below?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The following proportions are in the ideal range:

Table: 55-58%
Depth: 60-62.3%
Crown angle: 34-35 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.6 to 41 degrees

Good luck on your search!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have no idea what you are doing.

You are wasting money looking at VVS stones.
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king.
No other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut. An ideal H will out white a poorly cut F. And GIA Ex is not enough.
So how to we ensure that we have the right angles and cutting to get the light performance we want?
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-cut
Well one method is to start with a GIA Ex, and then apply the HCA to it. YOU DO NOT USE HCA for AGS0 stones.
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor
The HCA is a rejection tool. Not a selection tool. It uses 4 data points to make a rudimentary call on how the diamond may perform. It's only goal is to weed out stones that have angles that do not normally result in ideal light performance.
If the diamond passes then you know that you are in the right zone in terms of angles for light performance. Under 2 is a pass. Under 2.5-2.1 is a maybe. 2.6 and over is a no. No score 2 and under is better than any other.
Is that enough? Not really.
So what you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.
That's what an idealscope image does. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope
It shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return. That is why you won't see us recommending Blue Nile, as they do not provide idealscope images for their diamonds. James Allen, BGD, GOG, ERD, HPD and WF do.

The Idealscope is the 'selection tool'. Not the HCA. The HCA is just used narrow and predict which stones will have a good idealscope image.
So yes, with a GIA stone you need the idealscope images. Or you can buy an idealscope yourself and take it in to the jeweler you are working with to check the stones yourself. Or if you have a good return policy (full refund minimum 7 days) then you can buy the idealscope, buy the stone, and do it at home.

Now if you want to skip all that... stick to AGS0 stones and then all you have to do is pick color and clarity and you know you have a great performing diamond. Because AGS has already done the checking for you. That's why they trade at a premium.

Regarding color:
Ever gotten one of those HUGE paint fan decks? Where there are literally 100s of colors of whites? And when they are RIGHT next to each other you can TOTALLY tell that one is bluer/colder and one is a bit warmer and which one is one is TOTALLY warmer. One there's one that's slightly greener. One that's slightly pinker? But really. They are all white?

Then you pick one after agonizing over this white or that white and when it's on the walls and people are like: Oh. You painted again. And it's STILL white. Great.

And you're all... BUT it's BLUE white. Or it's a WARM white now. It used to be ____ white. It's TOTALLY different.

It's like that. You are talking about shades of white. D is colder... J is warmer. But it's all white.

YES. If you have an accurately graded F and an H THAT HAVE THE SAME PERFORMANCE you are going to be able to tell them apart when you compare them. Just like you would be able to tell if you painted your walls a warm white, but painted the crown molding a cold/straight white. But both are STILL white.

I want you notice all the qualifiers thought. I'm talking about stones with the SAME performance. An ideal H will out white an F that has compromised light performance.

GIA EX is not enough. You need the right angles to get to get ideal light performance.

NOTHING impacts the appearance of a diamond as much as cut. CUT is king.

You want the shinest whitest and brightest diamond out there: Cut is King. No other factor, not color or clarity or anything else impacts how white bright an shiny a stone is.

What you REALLY need though is to work with a vendor that offers you idealscope images. Cause that's what you really need. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/firescope-idealscope Many of the PS vendors do. It measures light return. And light return is what makes a diamond white bright and shiny.

Touti

Rough_Rock
this forum is so awesome, I learned a lot from all your replies! thanks for that!

Which one of the following would you pick? ranking?

1)
2165725471-2.jpg

2)
1193891859-2.jpg

3)
1162847774-2.jpg

Touti

Rough_Rock
is 2 then 3 then 1 a fair judgment? 2 being the best and 1 the worse?

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Touti|1438005413|3907904 said:
is 2 then 3 then 1 a fair judgment? 2 being the best and 1 the worse?
Yes. I'd exclude #1. I'd like to see the ASET on #3 though. #2 looks to be the best so depending on specs and price I'd probably go with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results