shape
carat
color
clarity

Nice Pad - can i have your opinion please

cutandpolished61

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

would love to have your opinion on this stone. Bought it in 2005 in Sri Lanka.
Unheated 3.05 ct and certified by Leslie Punchihewa as Natural Padparaja.
Having a massive dental bill coming my way and therefore sadly i have to sell some of my collection.

unnamed__2_8.jpg

pad33.jpg

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am sorry about your dental bills, tooth and mouth troubles are awful :( I think that it would be great if you could give us some more information about the stone and possibly take a few more pictures. Is the gem windowed? What is the clarity like? If you are really serious about selling it you might want to get it AGL certified. I have had good experiences selling on loupe troop and I'm sure that others will be able to chime in about other avenues that you could use to sell it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, if you want to sell it, you'll need a better certificate than that. We all respect AGL here.

Beautiful color, though!

cutandpolished61

Rough_Rock
The problem is that i am reluctant to send gems by post to gem labs. How is the reputation from IGL? I think they have a branch in London.

cutandpolished61

Rough_Rock
Utterly rare, oval Padparadscha in strong colors. Tons of luster, perfect shape and dimensions, well cut. Pink mixed in lush orange, no visible inclusions. Certified pad. Luxurious center stone. No yellow, no brown, no gray. Will upload more pics shortly. My worry is to send the stone for testing by mail overseas. I noticed that IGL has a branch in London. Would a certificate from IGL be ok and is it globally accepted in the gem trade for colored gem stones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to say that IGL carries no weight in the resale market. Your options in Europe are GIA, SSEF and Gubelin.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Utterly rare, oval Padparadscha in strong colors. Tons of luster, perfect shape and dimensions, well cut. Pink mixed in lush orange, no visible inclusions. Certified pad. Luxurious center stone. No yellow, no brown, no gray."

OP: is this your opinion and language, or is this something that was written on the report? Either way, if you intend to sell, I might reconsider some of the language as it might be confusing, like "perfect shape and dimensions," "lush orange," and "luxurious." ;))

cutandpolished61

Rough_Rock
"Utterly rare, oval Padparadscha in strong colors. Tons of luster, perfect shape and dimensions, well cut. Pink mixed in lush orange, no visible inclusions. Certified pad. Luxurious center stone. No yellow, no brown, no gray."

This is just my personal opinion. Certificate says good cut, good color, exceptional luster.

I wonder how you guys make a profit when sending stones for testing overseas.
From the UK it would cost me at least $200 postal charges plus the return shipping cost on top of the lab fees.
In my case it would come to around $700-$800 in total.
Looks like that i have to wait for my next trip to Antwerp to get it tested by GIA.
Here in London they have just a campus but no lab.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want your advertisement to be taken seriously by serious buyers, you have to be more factual instead of stating your opinion and using romanticized wording. There is no one perfect shape and dimensions in the CS world. "Luxurious" is a term I would only expect to see on EBay. Unless a reputable lab report notes that the stone is exceptional, I would not claim that the stone shows no brown or the lack of other modifiers.

We do not make a profit when reselling. In fact, many of us take a loss or break even. We also do our homework before making the purchase, such as making sure the sale of an expensive stone is contingent upon the GIA or AGL lab report coming back as stated (untreated, origin, colour quality, etc). This way, we know what we are buying, know that we are paying a fair price for what we are getting and do not have the added expense, risk and hassle in sending the stone to a lab ourselves at a later date.

cutandpolished61

Rough_Rock
well, i never sold a stone. I'm sure you can tell. Always purchased only from.
I very much appreciate your advice.

How you guys safeguard each other when selling / buying stones?
On ebay for instance you have a certain protection as a buyer and seller.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first thing you need to do is find out exactly what you have:
1. Confirm gem type, carat weight, measurements, origin if Sri Lankan, the lack of treatment
2. Get a valuation based on the information from #1.
3. From there, you can figure out what the current retail pricing is. Since sales is final for a non-Trade member, your pricing will always be lower than a retailer's.
4. The safest way to resell a stone is through consignment with a vendor but you will not receive as much as selling it yourself due to the consignment fee. However, your privacy is well protected. You can also advertise at Diamond Bistro and LoupeTroop. Most are Pricescopers there although there are some obvious scammers showing interest as well. I have not sold anything on eBay as the selling fee is ridiculously high.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono has pretty much outlined everything I would've said. I've added a bit in bold.

Chrono said:
If you want your advertisement to be taken seriously by serious buyers, you have to be more factual instead of stating your opinion and using romanticized wording. There is no one perfect shape and dimensions in the CS world. "Luxurious" is a term I would only expect to see on EBay. Unless a reputable lab report notes that the stone is exceptional, I would not claim that the stone shows no brown or the lack of other modifiers.

We do not make a profit when reselling. In fact, many of us take a loss or break even. We also do our homework before making the purchase, such as making sure the sale of an expensive stone is contingent upon the GIA or AGL lab report coming back as stated (untreated, origin, colour quality, etc). This way, we know what we are buying, know that we are paying a fair price for what we are getting and do not have the added expense, risk and hassle in sending the stone to a lab ourselves at a later date.

Chrono said:
The first thing you need to do is find out exactly what you have:
1. Confirm gem type, carat weight, measurements, origin if Sri Lankan, the lack of treatment
2. Get a valuation based on the information from #1. Find Comps from reputable dealers and establish value
3. From there, you can figure out what the current retail pricing is. Since sales is final for a non-Trade member, your pricing will always be lower than a retailer's. Even if you decided to have a return period, your price should still be set significantly lower than Trade, unless your stone is cut by one of the specialized and well known precision cutters - these stones often sell at premiums.
4. The safest way to resell a stone is through consignment with a vendor but you will not receive as much as selling it yourself due to the consignment fee. However, your privacy is well protected. You can also advertise at Diamond Bistro and LoupeTroop. Most are Pricescopers there although there are some obvious scammers showing interest as well. I have not sold anything on eBay as the selling fee is ridiculously high. There are reputable FB groups where people sell gemstones, but these you are required to have a return period. In addition, buyers are knowledgable here and will ask for lab reports, treatment and about cutting issues such as extinction and windows.

OP: please note that since you are planning on selling and you've been given a good idea how to go about selling, please note that we are not supposed to talk about plans to sell our stones here. There is a section of PS devoted to that called the "Preloved PS Jewels" where you can ask questions or discuss the fact that you want to sell your stone. :))

cutandpolished61

Rough_Rock
thanks again for your advice. I was not aware of all this different websites.

I have added 2 pics from a piece which also has to go. A friend thought it would be a good idea to use the emerald for a pendant.
So i gave him the stone and he had it done in his workshop in Jaipur 3 - 4 years ago. we had the pendant for sale on display for 2 years at the IJL exhibition in London but without success of selling it.
I was never relay convinced that a pendent would be the best option for this stone. Now i believe that set in a ring the chances of selling are much better. What are your thoughts?
It is a 10.80 ct Colombian emerald.

I definitely need a better camera. These pics are rubbish. The stone is not blueish at all.

_32695.jpg

_32696.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results