carat
color
clarity

New Wardrobe!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey PSers!

So a few weeks ago I posted about the pants I made. Well now I've finished (with a few exceptions) my new wardrobe. I made 15 tops, 5 pairs of pants, 1 reversible skirt (one more that needs hemming) and 2 dresses. I am very pleased with what I've accomplished as now I have clothes that fit me. Now I'm debating on making two new dresses or seeing if I can make 2 skirts with 2 matching tops (so if I wore them together they would look like a dress). I have lots of pictures (like 32) of my clothes. The tops are mostly Belcarra (graded up to fit me), the other was BurdaStyle #106 Pleated Blouse (changed the bottom to match the shaping of the Belcarra). The dresses are a mix of two patterns, Simplicity 1873 for the top and Hollyburn for the skirt. The pants are the pattern that I posted earlier using SureFitDeisngs. I'm quite pleased with the reversible skirt. I had a 100% silk wrap skirt that looked horrible on me (wrap skirts look great on others, but not me), so I had a choice: toss or refashion. I carefully picked apart the seams and cut out my fitting Hollyburn skirt. Here is the skirt with 2 different tops. ;-)
belcarra_black___long_rev_hollyburn.jpg belcarra_purple___reversible_hollyburn.jpg I have more pictures if anyone wants to see. :D

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very impressed - and I'd love to see more pictures!

Do you have a good fabric store locally?

BTW my mother made a lot of my clothes when I was young out of necessity - that was back when you could make clothes for less than it cost to buy ready-made. I made several dresses I wore through high school, and some ensembles I wore early in my career... but it's been many, many years since I've made any clothing for myself. I do have some special fabrics stashed away for when I start again, though!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey VRBeauty,

:D Thanks! I got my fabric from JoAnns, HancockFabrics and some from SAS fabric. All which are local for me. I've been reading online and apparently finding decent fabric from the main chain stores is a challenge. I'm pleased with the fabric that I've purchased and will baby the garments when I wash them to make them last longer. :D As for pricing, I try to stay competitive, meaning that I typically pay about $20 for a top in the store, so as long as I am under that for materials I am happy (although I haven't seen my favorite style in the store in a long while). I know that my time is worth something, however I am a bit of a process crafter. Meaning that I like the process almost as much as the finished object. :D So this is also entertainment for me. As for the pants, I can't find those at all, unless I want to pay over $50 IF I can find them even then! I am a stickler for pockets, as in my bottoms (and dresses) MUST have them. I know people say I'm crazy, which I'm ready to offer to close the pockets on their bottoms to see if they still think I"m crazy! Here are a few more pictures. :D

ALL items are made by me no Ready To Wear (other than unmentionables, those may be next summer) belcara_black___crazy_sfd_pants.jpg My Crazy pants: Fabric from JoAnn's remnant table when it was half off (so price was like $3/yard).

frankendress_business_suit.jpg Frankendress: Simplicity 1873 top and Hollyburn skirt. Made to look like a business suit. Bodice is Shirting fabric from Joann, Bottom is from Hancock.

frankendress_side_zip.jpg FrankenDress with Rayon skirt and Shirting top. The skirt fabric was originally purchased to make a top, but I thought it would look cool as a skirt. I changed the pattern to have a side zip, however that was a PAIN, so I'll be keeping the back zipper.

Ok, I'll post more later if you want, but now I have to get ready to go.... :D

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
I am so impressed. Well done.

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
Wow. Awesome job!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozy, you did a beautiful job! Looking forward to seeing more of your made by you wardrobe. :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! I love the fabrics! :appl: Everything looks amazing!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Great Job!! I am seriously jealous. I used to be able to sew and did a fair amount of sewing for myself and things like curtains and table cloths for the house. My nan taught me needle work and I have a lot of decorated linens from her that I still treasure and things I did myself. While I was pregnant I embroidered a whole tablecloth. Unfortunately I developed a wicked case of rheumatoid arthritis in both my hands and elbow and that is now just a fond memory. Keep it up! You just may be able to turn this into a little money making scheme!

ps--you have a really sunny smile!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your franken-dresses! Very pretty. Nice job!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Well done Cozystitches! It has been years since I've sewn, but I still recognize a fantastic job when I see one! Everything looks beautifully made and it looks wonderful on you! Congrats on your new wardrobe! :clap:

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow! Very lovely wardrobe! I have a friend who makes the vast majority of her clothes, but I'm lucky if I can thread a needle. I'm very impressed. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice job m'dear!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your compliments! :D I finished the last of my sewing on Wednesday (I made 2 matching skirt/top combos :dance: ). Then I cleaned it all up and packed all away. Sigh. My kitchen is so much larger and looks so nice now! :lol:
My final sewing count of things made since I started this journey (from around March?) is:
  • 17 Tops
    4 pants
    7 skirts, two are reversible so that actually makes 9 different skirts
    4 dresses
:dance: :appl: :dance: :dance: :appl: :dance: :appl: :dance:
I also bought new shoes (my Danskos in a MaryJane and a loafer style); I tried them both on at a local store but ended up buying them from Ebay :shifty: Saved $190 by doing so. :$$):
I'm saving my clothes until school starts (just like I did growing up :twirl: :loopy: :roll: ) but I am very excited about it all!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches Couture!!! :dance: :clap: :appl: :wavey:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
You did an awesome job! I love the last outfit especially!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean|1437761134|3906969 said:
Cozystitches Couture!!! :dance: :clap: :appl: :wavey:

I like it! :appl:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow!!!! YOu really did a great job. Fashion forward and comfortable. A win win!!! Kudos to you!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Cozystitches|1437746106|3906909 said:
Thank you all for your compliments! :D I finished the last of my sewing on Wednesday (I made 2 matching skirt/top combos :dance: ). Then I cleaned it all up and packed all away. Sigh. My kitchen is so much larger and looks so nice now! :lol:
My final sewing count of things made since I started this journey (from around March?) is:
  • 17 Tops
    4 pants
    4 dresses
I also bought new shoes (my Danskos in a MaryJane and a loafer style); I tried them both on at a local store but ended up buying them from Ebay :shifty: Saved $190 by doing so. :$$):
I'm saving my clothes until school starts (just like I did growing up :twirl: :loopy: :roll: ) but I am very excited about it all!

That's the best part....saving the clothes for when school starts! I love it! :lol:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1437791184|3907172 said:
Cozystitches|1437746106|3906909 said:
  • 17 Tops
    4 pants
    4 dresses

That's the best part....saving the clothes for when school starts! I love it! :lol:

Giggle... It makes them so much more special! ;-) :lol: I know I'm dorky, but, still. :D :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results