shape
carat
color
clarity

Week 18 - Share Photos: Favorite Tradition Moment Captured

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Week 18 - Share Photos: Favorite Tradition Moment Captu

We had a Handfasting ceremony that was preformed by my MIL's best friend who is the woman who married DH's parents. There are 6 chords and 6 cords to represent them. As each chord is read and recited a cord is tied around the couples hands to symbolize unity and the binding of two lives together.

Kallenbach©0634.jpg

nicoleben

Shiny_Rock

babush.jpg

Im sure you all know this one, but for those who don't... My family is Polish, so therefore we have a lace babushka and this picture shows my mother tying it on me ("My Girl" was playing in the background), and my mother in law there as well. After she puts it on me, we dance to the Polka, first with my mother, then with my mother in law. and then everyone at the wedding gets in line and puts a dollar, or 5 or 20$ into my veil that my Matron of honor is holding.. I then do a little dance with each person and on to the next. They say each twirl is another $. After everyone has danced with me they form a circle around me, and my husband has to bust through it to get me who is in the middle. This is done at quite a lot of weddings, however, I did not see one posted and thought I would put mine up :))

Enjoy :)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

These are all great -- I love seeing what is "traditional" to everyone!

Mine is my mom kissing me at the end of the aisle. I wasn't sure until we all got into our places if she was walking me down the aisle or if I was going for it alone, but I'm so happy she ended up being there for this moment.

You can also see the two empty rows at the front of the chairs, but that's just because he family didn't get that the reserved seats were for them... :lol:

CR-3644-M.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

I think this is one of my favorite threads so far! I love the bedeken, the handfasting, the lucky penny, the polka, all the aisle walking/giving away...makes me want to do it all over again!

After seeing so many beautiful ketubot and really enjoying and appreciating the sentiment behind them, I decided I wanted to have a similar contract hanging in our home. We used a picture from our engagement session during the cherry blossom festival and superimposed the verse we wanted over it, and then had it printed on a canvas, which we signed during our ceremony. In the picture, I've just finished signing...my new name, for the first time!

Shumate ceremony1262.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love this one- you can see my dad and I walking towards DH and my DH smiling at me :)

favtradition.jpg

4ever

Ideal_Rock

Both of my parents walked me down the aisle. My dad walked me from the Bus up the stairs to the ceremony site, we met my mum at the top of the stairs and they both walked me to the "alter"....as I bawled my eyes out.

parentals.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock

bump

audball

Ideal_Rock

Having eloped, we didn't have a ton of tradition since there was no reception, but we exchanged rings in our ceremony which is very traditional so I chose that! Slightly cheating, posting two, but I wanted to show each of us getting our rings. :love:

_17626.jpg

_17627.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought about posting a pic of DH breaking the glass at the end of the ceremony (or of him & Rabbi picking broken glass out of the carpet because they forgot to put it in the bag before breaking :lol: ) or of us together under the chuppah, but decided I had to share this one of DH. Since we had a long engagement and I had nothing better to do than read wedding books & websites, I knew this was coming. Rabbi didn't go over it with us because he canceled our meeting where he should have gone over this. With everything else going on and figuring there wasn't going to be a ceremony anyway I didn't really worry about the traditional ceremony parts (since we weren't having a ceremony anyway...).
Well... turns out they surprised us with a ceremony!

In a traditional Jewish wedding the men gather around the groom. They study together and celebrate and wait for the bride (who is with the women). Being conservative, we sort of lumped stuff together so the groom stuff happened with all of us there at the same time as getting the Ketubah ready.

One of the traditions is for the groom to give a talk on the Torah portion of the week. He just gets started and then all the men interrupt with singing so he doesn't get to finish.

Well.... No one told DH about this. So Rabbi said "And now the groom will give us the talk he prepared about the Torah portion this week..."

The look on DH's face was hilarious! He thought Rabbi actually wanted 15 minutes on the Torah portion :lol:
(and cheating to show the look of great relief when song broke out!)

_17802.jpg

_17805.jpg

maple2012

Shiny_Rock

My fav traditional moment as my parents walked me down the aisle... and that's when I started crying as you can see on my face if you look closely!

cry.jpg

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock

:love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results