shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposals - involve family/friends?

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
So I'm a few months from proposing and have an idea laid out. My GF has mentioned a wedding venue in her hometown that's beautiful, and there's a park near it that we had a picnic at last year, beautiful spot. I'm planning on proposing there.

Has anyone brought family and/or friends in on the secret to get someone to record the proposal and take pics after, and if so did it work out? I've already talked with her best friend about rings (to figure out what she wants without giving anything away) so at least one person knows, and she'd be the one I'd likely ask to be at the park.

I also think it'd be real cool if I took her from the park to her parents place and a few family/close friends were there to celebrate...but then that's another group of people who know/might spoil the surprise. But even then, I plan on asking her fathers permission so he'll at least know too (and would never keep it from his wife), so it's not like this will be a complete surprise anyway.

Just trying to get some thoughts because I'm INCREDIBLY torn on it. Thanks!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you think they might ruin the surprise, then dont tell them. If I were in your position this is what I would do:

If you really want to use the best friend - tell her to stay out of sight to take the photos. Then you can even have HER call the parents and get everyone together. You can still enjoy your picnic, spend some time walking around, which gives time for everyone to get to her parents house. She can pop out of the bushes to take more pictures before you head to your parents, but you'll probably want some alone time with her before that too.

eta - they cant ruin the surprise after it's already happened, and so long as theyre not an hour away they can come join and celebrate.

If you think some folks live too far away, maybe just give a bit of notice (a week?) and ask them to be available on saturday afternoon (or whenever). Personally I would try not to do this, because people love to talk... But it is another option.

Eagle2015

Rough_Rock
Great advice all around telephone, thanks! I guess the one issue is that her other best friend, who I'd love to include, lives more than an hour away. I'd feel bad if just one of her two best friends were involved from the start, asked to take pics, hang out with the family afterward...and the other wasn't given that chance.

But as you said, too many cooks can spoil the stew, the absolute LAST thing I want is for someone to spill the beans inadvertently so the fewer people who know the better.

I do like the idea of giving them a couple days notice, especially with both of them living an hour+ away there's not much chance they'd be meeting up/talking in the meantime.

Any other thoughts/ideas/experiences are welcome!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also host something afterwards, a small celebration with all her friends (and yours) at your home?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results