shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you feel/think about "first time buyers"?

D_

Shiny_Rock
Title is supposed to be "What do you feel/think about certain breeds of "first time buyers"?" but I ran out of space.

Disclaimer: I know there is a first time for everyone and I know I'm pretty new at this as well and very far from knowing everything there is about diamond. I also know we should promote inclusiveness and after all, isn't that why we are all here? To learn more about diamonds and to share that knowledge with the next person?

I am not referring to people who have done their research and have specific questions on how those theories apply to their diamonds. I am referring to people who come here, not having bothered to read up the basics and ask "so what do you think of this stone?" Then the generous ones will point out the rather obvious flaws with the diamond(s) they choose and the person will conveniently say/ask "thank you so much, but this is too much too digest, more than I care for, really, but I want a well performing diamond, can you just pick one for me, tell me why it's nice so I can get this over and done with and move on with my life?" (Oh and bonus if they say "I really need this asap because I want to propose next week", another bonus if they want to find a "steal", thinking that they can game the system WITHOUT even putting in some effort). Another breed is people who claimed they have spent 3-6 months or even longer "researching" for diamonds and come up with questions that display lack of understanding of the basics. I don't really know what they refer to as "researching". Disclaimer: I'm painting with a broad brush here, my examples can be a mish-mash from different occurrences. The actual sample size that displays everything that I mentioned above may actually be very small.

Granted that not everyone is into diamonds and hence may not want to invest that much time and energy into searching for the one. And there are a lot of people who are more than happy to help and share their knowledge. But when the process turns into repetitive hand-holding that offers no interesting insights or intellectual stimulation, invites exchanges of ideas and viewpoints, where the information shared can be easily found if they want to bother searching old threads or other sources on the Internet… I don’t really know how to feel about that.

And isn't the effort part of buying a diamond? It's an important purchase for the soon-to-be (if not already is) the most important person in your life. Sure, some people can buy a honking 5 carat diamond from Tiffany without even batting an eye. They can claim the efforts are shown through earning the $$$ to buy the diamond. And does it matter, they ask, if I can make the lady swooned w/o much effort on my part? That may be the case. But when people visit PS, I'd assume they're seeking for value. And there is value to be had for those who bother to acquire the knowledge. After all, even though we should focus on the recipients (generally the ladies) when buying diamonds, what ends up on the recipients' finger reflect on (again, just generally) the guys - whether he can provide, has a good taste, is a good judge of value, cares about quality of the important items he purchases, cares about her etc.

I guess my frustration stems from people who just want shortcuts. I come from a value system that believes everyone needs to put in their hours.
You don't come to business meetings half an hour late as a junior in a company and ask "what did I miss?"
Perhaps I'm just reading too much into things.

Thoughts?
Perhaps there are other ways of looking at this that I'm not currently seeing?
(I'm looking for constructive feedback, not a mere "shut up newbie, even the senior posters here don't complain. They are happy to do that. If you find such occurrences invoking annoyance then just ignore the thread or get off the forum altogether.")

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm only too happy to see posters come on here seeking help with an expensive purchase full stop. I tend to think about all the people who don't come here, receive no guidance and might end up paying good money for inferior quality diamonds at a mall - because she liked the setting, because the diamond looked fine under the stores heavy lighting, because he wanted to get the purchase over and done with etc etc. So the act of seeking out help, even if homework is sketchy wins points for me. I've also witnessed so many threads where the poster has grown so much in knowledge and interest in their project, as the thread has progressed as they've been guided through the process by posters here. This site really does provide a valuable service.

On the other hand as you say the engagement ring is a personal choice and even when getting advice from others it would surely be of benefit to know something of what would please her. Posters aren't mind readers and don't know things like whether size matters over color for someone or whether the lady in question would prefer more spent on the diamond with a simple setting or if she would prefer things tilted towards a dearer setting. Posters often win my respect when they don't allow themselves to get talked into suggestions - they benefit from the suggestions but know enough to deviate along their own path when they need to

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly if we can stop someone overpaying for a badly cut EGL stone or someone from getting a so called "bargain" from so and so's friend that really isn't great either then that is part of what is site is for... for consumer education no matter how uneducated they are when they arrive.

If they don't want to listen to good advice from the many wonderful and knowledgeable posters on here, as is sometimes the case - that is on them.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The type of buyer you're describing is far preferable to the kind who says "this is what I bought - how did I do?" Sometimes it's all I can do not to answer with the obvious question... :wink2: . But - I understand how that happens, how someone can be excited about a purchase, or even excited into making a purchase, and then do their research and and start to have second thoughts after the fact.

Similarly, I understand that the angles and proportions and such don't make intuitive sense to everyone, and it must be daunting to go find a diamond that should be well-cut per the HCA, only to have someone tell you that really, you could do much better.

But I do agree that people who come here TODAY because they need to buy a diamond TODAY should be administered a dope slap. :rodent:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D_ said:
I guess my frustration stems from people who just want shortcuts. I come from a value system that believes everyone needs to put in their hours.
You don't come to business meetings half an hour late as a junior in a company and ask "what did I miss?"
Perhaps I'm just reading too much into things.

I agree with the general gist of your comments, which I understand to mean that people should do some due diligence on their own. For the people who are seeking help on PS, they should be of an age where looking stuff up on the internet should not be so hard. Even if one sticks to just one website, in this case PS, there is such a plethora of information here. It just requires typing in key words into the search field, or following threads. It's not rocket science. It requires diligence. If you care enough about something, you will put in the work. At least I do. And then if you still don't get it, ask. (It's what I tell my kids.)

I'm not talking about getting opinions on angles and measurements, which to me are complicated. My issue is with people who don't even read the most basic research. I will admit I am not the most patient person, and I am not an expert about the technical aspects of evaluating diamonds, which is probably why I don't/can't respond to a lot of the technical questions on Rocky Talky. Oh well. It's lucky for a lot of these posters, there are a lot more kinder, more generous and patient people on PS than me. :|

D_

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the perspectives, guys.
Those are good ways of looking at it.

Polished|1437619152|3906336 said:
So the act of seeking out help, even if homework is sketchy wins points for me.
True, I guess I forgot only a small minority of this forum's visitors ever post. And even people who visit this forum just to read up probably only make up small portion of the total consumers out there.

arkieb1|1437620997|3906344 said:
Honestly if we can stop someone overpaying for a badly cut EGL stone or someone from getting a so called "bargain" from so and so's friend that really isn't great either then that is part of what is site is for...
I have a friend who purchased his diamond from another "friend" who happens to be a diamond wholesaler (which is weird because technically wholesalers normally don't do retail... :think: ). But anyway he was told that since he's a friend, the wholesaler can offer his diamonds at 70% off the retail value since he won't be taking any profits... :eh: Sounds sketchy and I told him about a diamond advice site (before I found this forum), but I think he decided to go ahead with it anyway. I'm really curious of what he got and how much he paid for it but don't know what's the best way to find out politely.

VRBeauty|1437621683|3906347 said:
The type of buyer you're describing is far preferable to the kind who says "this is what I bought - how did I do?"
Uhm, I can somehow relate to that. Summer is quite slow, but there are certain times of the year when diamonds are snapped up at a rapid pace, especially the good ones. I was looking at BGD before and quite a few of their diamonds were sold even before the AGS report went up! We usually have ~48 hours to transfer the fund after reserving a diamond where we can come back here to post questions, right? I can't find it now, but somehow I remember seeing a poster asking question, got suggested a few diamonds, fell in love with one, only to find his stone "stolen" from under him when he wanted to purchase it not long after - there are quite a few lurkers here too :)

LLJsmom|1437624931|3906362 said:
If you care enough about something, you will put in the work. At least I do. And then if you still don't get it, ask.
Exactly! Thank you!!! :)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First time buyers who have no idea what they are doing but are really trying to learn should be every person's dream in this forum. They're an unmolded piece of clay in that regard, you can teach them anything and everything you want to teach them. There's no stupid questions if it stops a stupid mistake!

I get irked more by 'I have this stone, can you tell me what it is and how much is it worth?'
That's kinda like asking 'how long is a piece of string?'

Although it irritates me even more when someone asks a series of specific questions and a senior poster simply implies that the OP should do a search. Sometimes the archives don't answer all your questions or even answer them in a satisfactory manner!

D_

Shiny_Rock
Speak of the devil...
VRBeauty, the type of buyer you mentioned has just shown up in RT.
You may want to head over there and offer him some enlightenment ;-)

***Cue in music: VRBeauty to the rescue***

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep we see people proclaiming they are getting a bargain from a friend of a friend or some distance cousin who is a diamond district merchant or a diamond "wholesaler" every second day. I ALWAYS tell them there is no cutting corners when you buy a diamond....

I think I remember Dancing Fire stating a while ago in the entire time he has been on here he has never seen one of those end well. I have never seen an EGL buyer or a clarity enhanced stone buyer end well either.... We try and steer them to something better, but occasionally some do not listen which begs the question why come on here in the first place.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1437639291|3906402 said:
Yep we see people proclaiming they are getting a bargain from a friend of a friend or some distance cousin who is a diamond district merchant or a diamond "wholesaler" every second day. I ALWAYS tell them there is no cutting corners when you buy a diamond....

I think I remember Dancing Fire stating a while ago in the entire time he has been on here he has never seen one of those end well. I have never seen an EGL buyer or a clarity enhanced stone buyer end well either.... We try and steer them to something better, but occasionally some do not listen which begs the question why come on here in the first place.
Rule #1...never to buy a diamond from a friend of a friend whose uncle happen to be in the diamond wholesale business... :knockout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The type of buyer you're describing is far preferable to the kind who says "this is what I bought - how did I do?" Sometimes it's all I can do not to answer with the obvious question... :wink2: . But - I understand how that happens, how someone can be excited about a purchase, or even excited into making a purchase, and then do their research and and start to have second thoughts after the fact.
If they ask I'd tell them the truth... :praise:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1437643911|3906411 said:

Didn't someone on here come up with another Rule, Dancing Fire. If the diamond has been paid for and there's no possibility of returns then the diamond is perfect! :razz:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That type of buyer is nice. You want something nice and you want us to shop for you :naughty:

The one I don't care for is the one who comes and says "I found this diamond at kays, I think I'm going to get a starburst guard for it, thoughts?"

Everyone expresses this is a terrible idea and helps him find something nice, then he buys the kay starburst ring anyways because he's sure that's what his girlfriend wants even though he never bothers to ask her

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to add that also it doesn't bother me because for a lot of people this will be their only purchase. To do so many hours of research on something they may not care about or even need again seems pointless. At least, I think so.
I buy a car every 10 years. Do I have to know the intricacies of how a car works to buy one?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont mind most different types of buyers...those that have done no research and dont care to, or those that have done quite a
bit and are looking for reassurance/hand holding/opinions.

The ones I dont really care for are the "this is what I bought...how did I do" while doing very little research before they bought.
The other ones I'm not thrilled about are the "I've done 6 months of research..." but you can tell from what they are saying/asking
that it just can't be true.

I agree with Neil on the ones who dont want to do the research. I really hate doing research on something that does not interest
me. If I have someone I can trust (knowledgeable/unbiased) that will point out the important information and keep the process simple then I'm all about that!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You just can't let it bug you and take a little pride in the ones who have learned then came back to help others and learned more.
There are several posters when I see them help others, I think wow I remember when they were new and it was so worth helping them.
Some days there are people that might think that about my posts :)
To me its about paying back and helping others and at the same time maybe have a little fun while "meeting" great people!

While there have been a poster or 3 over the years that drove me batty, I have met great people, made some friends and get to talk about diamonds! and it is all worth it!

fyi: threads talking about new people bug me more than new people.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only 'first timers' I dont like on here are the ones who ignore advice given, and come back later to complain lol. Doesn't happen much. Honestly sometimes they ignore the advice and are perfectly happy with their diamond, and thats great. But if you're going to ask, ignore, and THEN complain, no way jose.

I like helping people look, and offering my opinion and advice. I like watching the process unfold, and seeing the final product, and KNOWING that person got a great deal, a great ring, and is on their way to proposing to the love of their life! This is also why I haunt the proposal ideas board, even though those guys never come back with updates :(

I don't think it's that people are too lazy, its just that it can be VERY overwhelming!

D_

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1437652735|3906436 said:
To do so many hours of research on something they may not care about or even need again seems pointless. At least, I think so. I buy a car every 10 years. Do I have to know the intricacies of how a car works to buy one?

Ah!! Now that you mention it. That makes sense.
I would feel the need to learn about how car works etc. if I were to buy one, but I would really2 not rather do that since I have no interest whatsoever in cars (as long as it can run and doesn't require lotsa repairs, I'm set).

You Nieled it :D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished|1437644211|3906412 said:
Dancing Fire|1437643911|3906411 said:

Didn't someone on here come up with another Rule, Dancing Fire. If the diamond has been paid for and there's no possibility of returns then the diamond is perfect! :razz:
But if I don't tell the truth I would feel really bad if he/she goes back to the same vendor for their next diamond purchase.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1437669462|3906533 said:
You just can't let it bug you and take a little pride in the ones who have learned then came back to help others and learned more.
There are several posters when I see them help others, I think wow I remember when they were new and it was so worth helping them.
To me its about paying back and helping others and at the same time maybe have a little fun while "meeting" great people!

While there have been a poster or 3 over the years that drove me batty, I have met great people, made some friends and get to talk about diamonds! and it is all worth it!

+1. Thank you Karl!

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1437676883|3906609 said:
Karl_K|1437669462|3906533 said:

+1. Thank you Karl!

cheers--Sharon

+2
Karl again sums it up!!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I just thought of something - one type of first time buyer is the one who posts 19 different threads. Just keep one (maybe 2 if its something different!) and update it. Its hard to keep up with those =\

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not just this board that has newbies coming in and ask "someone find me a <whatever>", rather than to do the homework themselves by researching and educating themselves before deciding what suits them.

However, I appreciate there is a big difference between someone who genuinely does not know where to start, and someone who is just too lazy to bother and decides to take the shortcut by asking openly instead.

No prize in guessing whom I am likely to help, and whom to ignore.

DK :))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
dk168|1437682636|3906657 said:
It is not just this board that has newbies coming in and ask "someone find me a <whatever>", rather than to do the homework themselves by researching and educating themselves before deciding what suits them.

However, I appreciate there is a big difference between someone who genuinely does not know where to start, and someone who is just too lazy to bother and decides to take the shortcut by asking openly instead.

No prize in guessing whom I am likely to help, and whom to ignore.

DK :))
There are lots of times I with I could still help people who just ask what should I buy....
They are often the easiest to help, the most grateful and the hunt is a lot of fun.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
+1 Karl, I so wish too. I love helping just to help and because honestly it is a lot of fun for me too. There are those of us that do what we do because it is our passion.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't "find" diamonds for anyone. Back in the day, they'd go to a B&M jeweler and that jeweler would (hopefully) get paid for the effort educating the consumer and finding a suitable diamond ring for that consumer. Nowadays, that kind of buyer can come to PS, get dozens of people to do all of the work for free. I just don't think I should a) do that work for free, and b) help take away the job of of some B&M jeweler. Something about the combo of lazy buyer being able to purchase diamonds via Internet and get that discount, plus make skilled people work for free doesn't sit right with me. I'll sometimes give advice, but I am not going to spend my time looking for diamonds for someone.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Whatever someone chooses to post about is fine with me because I can choose to read or not read, respond or not respond, so I'm not bothered by anything here

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think that diamond buying is a hard hard choice and the new buyer really does need help. I find this part of the forum to be the best. The only one i dislike is also the one that decides he needs so many posts going at the same time. nEW THOUGHT-NEW POST.

But, I would like to see the volunteers get some recognition from Admin for their valuable help. Actually they make your business. Id like to see someone like "quarterly volunteer of the yr". I think dinner for two in a casual dining restaurant would be enough to feel appreciated. Las Vegas doesn't do the trick. No post count please. I nominate "Ty-TY" I have no idea who she is, but oh, the time she gives. There used to be Christina, who was so great in helping others. Of course DSS,--who could beat that. Perhaps those that go to Vegas ought not participate in my volunteer program.

I believe you need to recognize these nice people who do give of themselves for others. Sounds weird in conjunction with diamonds, but true non-the-less. Money is not the end-all. But recognition is a good thing.

Annette

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
smitcompton|1437929366|3907689 said:
Hi,

I think that diamond buying is a hard hard choice and the new buyer really does need help. I find this part of the forum to be the best. The only one i dislike is also the one that decides he needs so many posts going at the same time. nEW THOUGHT-NEW POST.

But, I would like to see the volunteers get some recognition from Admin for their valuable help. Actually they make your business. Id like to see someone like "quarterly volunteer of the yr". I think dinner for two in a casual dining restaurant would be enough to feel appreciated. Las Vegas doesn't do the trick. No post count please. I nominate "Ty-TY" I have no idea who she is, but oh, the time she gives. There used to be Christina, who was so great in helping others. Of course DSS,--who could beat that. Perhaps those that go to Vegas ought not participate in my volunteer program.

I believe you need to recognize these nice people who do give of themselves for others. Sounds weird in conjunction with diamonds, but true non-the-less. Money is not the end-all. But recognition is a good thing.

Annette

We have tried many times Annette and you know what happens? We get angry emails from those not chosen who believe they were more helpful/better qualified/spent more time on RT. This is why we have moved from choosing users to just doing random drawings and events. If y'all have ideas for how to do this without angering others, we would love to hear those ideas. :wall:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Ok, just thought of one possibility. No public announcement of the names or names. You can say someone has been notified for a volunteer recognition award.

Las vegas people had their reward so they are not eligible. Persons who won Christmas money are not eligible.

It will not be contingent on length of time on PS.

It will be contingent on attitude. Complaints about not winning will automatically disqualify you from the next round.

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results