shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions Needed on Diamond

cherrycoke1

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Like many before me, I've been a lurker for some time, trying my best to soak up every bit of invaluable knowledge I've come across. Despite dedicating a lot of time reading/researching, I can't help but still feel like a total newbie to all of this so here I am seeking some guidance/reassurance with the following stone I've come across:

GIA Report on diamond

Depth: 62.4%
Table: 54%
Crown Angle: 35 degrees
Pavilion Angle: 40.6 degrees
Girdle: Medium

Price: $15K

Those parameters yield a 1.0 on the HCA (if I entered everything accurately), which calls for further investigation.

Parameters aside, I'm mostly worried about the inclusions scattered through the table of the stone as seen in the GIA report. I have yet to see this stone in person so I'm not sure just how "bad" these inclusions really are. What are your thoughts on this stone? Despite the nice HCA rating, should I stay clear of the stone given the placement of the inclusions? Is there anything else about this stone that throws up red flags that I'm missing? Thanks in advance, all! :wavey:

Edit: Here's a picture of the inclusions that's part of the GIA report (SI1)
inclusions_0.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately cherrycoke no one can tell you if this stone is eye-clean or not. I know a lot of PSers like cleaner stones for their
engagement rings but sometimes when you are trying to maximize size you have to go with a lower clarity. Can you ask the
vendor for images of this stone? If they can't provide images of their stones then I think you need to move up to VS2 level
(or work with a vendor that does have images of their stones). The bigger you go in size the harder it is to find eye-clean SI1s
(not impossible though).

Edit - what is at the top of the inclusion list on the GIA report?

cherrycoke1

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your feedback, tyty! I've attached the GIA report as a hyperlink in my first post (just click on where it says GIA Report) so I think that should answer your question regarding the inclusion list? Sorry, I'm not 100% sure as I'm still getting used to making sense of these reports. After looking at the report, do you have any other opinions?

I'll actually get a chance to see the stone in person. I was just trying to save both the vendor and I some time by passing on the stone should the inclusions pictured on the report be too many. Thank you again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missed the GIA link! So it's a crystal.

Ask the vendor if it is eye-clean (and how far away are they using). Hopefully the vendor can get input from whoever owns the
stone.

If you do see it in person, ask to see it in as many different lighting situations as possible...outside, under florescence. etc.
Look at it at all different angles. Decide what your tolerance is. Completely eye clean at all angles or does it matter if
you can see a spec with your head tilted 45%, one eye closed and your tongue sticking out the side of your mouth. Spend
a lot of time with it. It's your money.

Post pictures if you can get any.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The clarity grade is based mainly on crystals (listed first under keys to symbols). They may or may not be visible to the eye. Alot depends on how good your eyesight is and how close you can focus. Even if they are visible that may or may not bother you. For instance, black crystals (which have a somewhat bad reputation) can sometimes "hide" amongst the black/white, on/off pattern of facet scintillation. So, even if they are technically visible, they may not diminish the overall beauty of the diamond. It's a personal decision and people vary greatly on where they draw the line.

cherrycoke1

Rough_Rock
tyty, once more, thank you! I'll try to post pictures..maybe even of myself with my head titled at 45 degrees, tongue out, etc, haha.

texas leaguer, thank you as well! that definitely puts my mind a little more at ease seeing that the crystals can "blend" in with the scintillation. never thought of it like that but i get it!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
cherrycoke1|1437515936|3905803 said:
I'll actually get a chance to see the stone in person. I was just trying to save both the vendor and I some time by passing on the stone should the inclusions pictured on the report be too many. Thank you again!

Hello cherrycoke1,

Often (and with most PriceScope vendors) a call to the customer service or sales department of the company that is selling the diamond will give you information on whether it is eye-clean, if there is noticeable tint to the diamond, etc. It is fantastic you get to see this diamond for yourself, but never worry about saving the vendor's time - we are happy to provide maximum information to the consumer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results