shape
carat
color
clarity

What ring size should I order??

mappdaddy

Rough_Rock
So I was able to sneak a ring out of her jewelery box and take it to the jeweler to get an accurate size. The only dilemma now is that this particular ring she can wear on her right ring finger but it is very tight. The ring measured in at 5.25. She is left handed. What size do you think I should order the E-ring in? I am really trying to avoid any kind of resizing because it is going to be platinum and have diamonds on the shank. Thanks for all the help.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. I'm right handed and my right hand is slightly larger than my left. I wonder if hers is the opposite since she's a lefty?

Any way to get her to try it on her left hand to see if it fits?

Diamonds on the shank aren't too much of an issue in resizing as long as a) you aren't resizing a large amount and b) the diamonds don't go all the way around (leave a sizing bar at least; 3/4 of the way around would be the max I'd do)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im a lefty and my right is still larger than my left. Get her sized to be safe.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go back for a ring she wears on her left hand. Better to be safe, than sorry.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Either ask her straight out what her finger size is, or ask her BFF/mom/sister. Most likely any of the three would know it.

mappdaddy

Rough_Rock
Sorry guys I guess I missed conveying the fact that this is supposed to be a surprise ... going for the big reveal :ugeek:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really dont want to ask her, you need to consider this:

Its easier to size down by using beads/bars/etc. So I would suggest to make the ring on the bigger side.
What season is it where you live? If its currently summer, then the ring could fit okay now, but be TOO big in the winter. So dont make the size much bigger.

I'd err on the larger side, depending on the season with how much larger.

But really, having the ring re-sized wont be that big of an issue, and it will be a more perfect fit.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mappdaddy -

The thing is - we can't just guess. She may be a lefty whose right hand is still larger than her left, in which case her ring finger may still be 4.5. Or they might be about the same, ergo 5.25. Or if it's very tight - a 5.75 might work on her right hand, but not her left. Or if her left hand is bigger, given that she IS a lefty, and bigger is normal for the hand she uses - it could easily be a 6 or larger! It is simply too much of a guess.

If you want to give her a finished ring, and if you don't want to get it resized, you're either going to have to ask her, get someone else to ask her, somehow sneak the info out of her, or find a ring she already has that fits that finger that you can have measured. Otherwise you really are running the risk of doing 'the big reveal'...only to arrive at that awkward moment where she can't actually put it on her finger.

Personally, since you've got little knowledge of what she likes, and given that it doesn't sound as though you've looked at any higher quality settings in person than Zales (and trust us - what she likes will change once she sees higher quality settings), I would strongly recommend that your big reveal be of a stone only. You don't know her size and you don't really know what sort of setting she likes; you're trying to make a big decision costing a lot of money based on very little info.

Remember, it's her, not you, who will be wearing this ring.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop said:
Hi mappdaddy -

The thing is - we can't just guess. She may be a lefty whose right hand is still larger than her left, in which case her ring finger may still be 4.5. Or they might be about the same, ergo 5.25. Or if it's very tight - a 5.75 might work on her right hand, but not her left. Or if her left hand is bigger, given that she IS a lefty, and bigger is normal for the hand she uses - it could easily be a 6 or larger! It is simply too much of a guess.

If you want to give her a finished ring, and if you don't want to get it resized, you're either going to have to ask her, get someone else to ask her, somehow sneak the info out of her, or find a ring she already has that fits that finger that you can have measured. Otherwise you really are running the risk of doing 'the big reveal'...only to arrive at that awkward moment where she can't actually put it on her finger.

Personally, since you've got little knowledge of what she likes, and given that it doesn't sound as though you've looked at any higher quality settings in person than Zales (and trust us - what she likes will change once she sees higher quality settings), I would strongly recommend that your big reveal be of a stone only. You don't know her size and you don't really know what sort of setting she likes; you're trying to make a big decision costing a lot of money based on very little info.

This is very sage advice.

Something that isn't totally uncommon is to pick a gorgeous diamond and have it put in a temporary setting for the proposal only. Then you swap out the setting for one she chooses. It's a win-win in that you get the ring with the amazing diamond you chose for the big reveal and then she gets the setting of her dreams (in her true size!). Most vendors will have a simple white gold 4 or 6 prong solitaire that they will set your stone in and then you get credited back the amount towards a new setting. They are few hundred dollars so it's not a huge investment even if she wants a setting from a different vendor.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a lefty and my right hand ring finger is a half size bigger than my left hand. I say try a 5.5

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candygrl said:
I'm a lefty and my right hand ring finger is a half size bigger than my left hand. I say try a 5.5

The thing is is that everyone is so different. If you saw some of the previous posters, they range all over the place. One person's dominant hand is actually smaller than her non-dominant hand.

mappdaddy

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1437509518|3905751 said:
mrs-blop said:
Hi mappdaddy -

This is very sage advice.

Something that isn't totally uncommon is to pick a gorgeous diamond and have it put in a temporary setting for the proposal only. Then you swap out the setting for one she chooses. It's a win-win in that you get the ring with the amazing diamond you chose for the big reveal and then she gets the setting of her dreams (in her true size!). Most vendors will have a simple white gold 4 or 6 prong solitaire that they will set your stone in and then you get credited back the amount towards a new setting. They are few hundred dollars so it's not a huge investment even if she wants a setting from a different vendor.

I'm actually really starting to like the idea of doing something temporary as long as I could trade back in for the permanent one of her dreams. I know she wants platinum so could you guys here please help me find something inexpensive in platinum for a temp. setting on JA?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call JA and see what they have for a temporary setting. Often vendors will have a specific 4 or 6 prong solitaire just for this purpose. It's usually white gold. If she wants platinum, then get her forever setting in platinum. The temp setting is really just acting as something to hold the diamond in in a ring form.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7115

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-six-prong-item-7990

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results