shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help the chimpanzees...so terrible what is happening

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is heartbreaking how these chimps are being left to die. Please read this and help guys. This is horrific and we can help. Please please call and sign the petition. Please don't leave these animals to suffer a horrible and painful unnecessary death. ;( ;( ;(

LAB CHIMPS ABANDONED BY NEW YORK BLOOD CENTER HUG LIFESAVING VOLUNTEERS:
The New York Blood Center has left 66 lab chimps to die on islands in Liberia. In the video, heroic caregivers arrive to bring some of the chimps food and water. These chimps desperately need your help. Please join us as we demand NYBC reinstate funding and provide for their long-term care. For information and how you can help see: http://tinyurl.com/qjjn433
JOIN "NYBC: DO THE RIGHT THING" FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/qhu9dkb
DONATE TO EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND:
http://www.gofundme.com/abandonedchimps
VIDEO- The Story of the NYBC Chimps (filmed before they were abandoned by New York Blood Center): http://tinyurl.com/owszghb
‪#‎NYBCdoTheRightThing‬ ‪#‎NYBloodCenter‬ ‪#‎NYBC‬ ‪#‎MetLife‬

http://www.nst.com.my/node/91862

New York Blood Center: Do the Right Thing
TAKE ACTION FOR ABANDONED LAB CHIMPS- DAY 2:

Continue taking action for the abandoned chimps whose lives hang in the balance. We are being heard. MetLife Foundation is now sending calls to voicemail. An alternate number is below. The Metlife petition has over 7,000 signatures and is growing. Continue with the following actions today:

1) CONTACT METLIFE: Contact MetLife, a leading NYBC donor, and request they suspend donations to NYBC and donate to other blood organizations that service New York. Please be respectful. Call them daily and post to Facebook on the action days:

Call MetLife Foundation: 212-578-7048 (leave voicemail).
Call Customer Service: 1-800-638-5433

Post to MetLife Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/metlife?fref=ts

Sign and share the Petition: http://tinyurl.com/qj2dl76

2) POST PHOTOS: Post photos of yourself, family, coworkers, and friends holding a sign stating "New York Blood Center- Do the Right Thing!” Change your Facebook profile photo. Post your photos to our event page and we will share on our main Facebook page. Help raise awareness!

3) TWITTER ACTION: Continue sending tweets. Use this tweetsheet to contact NYBC, their donors, and media: http://nybcrightthing.yolasite.com/

EVENT PAGE: http://tinyurl.com/qhh5l53...

For information see "New York Blood Center Abandons Over 60 Chimps, Leaving Them To Die of Starvation": http://tinyurl.com/otozodq

#NYBCdoTheRightThing #NYBC #NYBloodCenter #NYC #NewYork

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Please help the chimpanzees...so terrible what is happen

I'll do this for sure Missy.

I have not yet read fully but I don't want to imagine what is happening to these poor animals. :(sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much CJ for caring. I was crying last night when I found out about this from my good friend. I hope more people will call and sign the petition and that these beautiful smart animals can be saved from a painful drawn out starvation death. Please everyone do what you can even just making a phone call and signing the petition is a positive and helpful action.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes I signed this. This has been going on for a number of months. They used these chimps medically and made millions in profit. They agreed to care for these chimps for their natural lifespan, but now don't want to pay the bill. :nono:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy, Of course I will call and sign the petition. I can't look at the videos. It will make me too sad.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hate this kind of cruelty/murder/abandonment.

You don't realize how many businesses (and Big Pharma and Big Med *are* businesses) use and abuse and kill animals until you are made aware of it. Thank you, Missy!!!

When I was still working at Mayo I didn't know Mayo was using animals in its research until I was waiting to see the dermatologist and I saw an animal carrier with research labeling being carried through the clinic waiting room and I wanted to tackle the person doing the carrying and subject them to some "science."

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hate this kind of cruelty/murder/abandonment.

You don't realize how many businesses (and Big Pharma and Big Med *are* businesses) use and abuse and kill animals until you are made aware of it. Thank you, Missy!!!

When I was still working at Mayo I didn't know Mayo was using animals in its research until I was waiting to see the dermatologist and I saw an animal carrier with research labeling being carried through the clinic waiting room and I wanted to tackle the person doing the carrying and subject them to some "science."

SMC

Ideal_Rock

wtf, this is ridiculous. Thank you for sharing! I've donated and signed.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy,

Petition signed, and I just left a (polite) message for Met Life on their voicemail.

I'll see if later on I'll take a picture with the sign and post to FB.

I have not watched the videos, I don't even want to read about it. Too painful.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

The video you shared ("The Real Planet of the Apes" on Youtbue) is actually quite fascinating and I urge people to watch it - it's not what I thought it would be (seeing dying/starving chimps, etc.).
Thanks for sharing this, missy. I hope that these chimps can get enough funding for care, feeding, etc.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Signed, shared, and posted to Facebook. Will send more messages when I can write something polite...

Thank you for sharing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you CJ, party gypsy, SMC, Callie, momhappy, Kristie and Too Patient!

We need more signatures so perhaps if you can share it with your animal loving friends too that would help. I cannot believe how long this has been going on to no avail. Heartbreaking. Makes me feel there is very little "humanity" in this world. Thank goodness for those of us who really do care and want to make a difference. Thank you girls!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy I shared with some more people including my niece who's one of the "cool" kids and influential in her circle.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you CJ and thank your niece as well please!!!

I emailed my closest friends a little while ago and all my animal lover friends with the petition and I have had already 5 people sign the petition so that's good. Need more signatures though as we are still off the 10,000 mark. I am really hoping people come through. It takes just a minute to sign. That's it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I emailed everyone I know who owes me a solid. They better sign. OR ELSE hahahaha Face The Wrath of The Kristie!

I donated too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1437253144|3904562 said:
I emailed everyone I know who owes me a solid. They better sign. OR ELSE hahahaha Face The Wrath of The Kristie!

I donated too.

Thank you Kristie! You are the best and great news is that the chimpanzees are now receiving food every day because of the donations!!!

Great News! I am excited to report that the chimpanzees are now receiving every day feedings thanks to your donations which enabled us to purchase the additional food and a new boat engine (pictured) needed to make this happen! As many of you may remember, under the care of the New York Blood Center, the chimpanzees were only being fed every other day. For the past several weeks as we have worked to stabilize the emergency situation, we have also been working toward improving the overall care the chimps receive and implementing every day feedings is part of this effort. I’d like to express my sincere gratitude to all of those that have contributed to this GoFundMe page. We also wouldn’t have been able to achieve this milestone without the hard work and dedication of the caretakers and chimp experts currently on the ground in Liberia. Please continue to like and share the chimps’ story. With your continued support, we will be able to accomplish so much more for these amazing chimps who have been through so much!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1437257538|3904575 said:
azstonie|1437253144|3904562 said:

I donated too.

Thank you Kristie! You are the best and great news is that the chimpanzees are now receiving food every day because of the donations!!!

Great News! I am excited to report that the chimpanzees are now receiving every day feedings thanks to your donations which enabled us to purchase the additional food and a new boat engine (pictured) needed to make this happen! As many of you may remember, under the care of the New York Blood Center, the chimpanzees were only being fed every other day. For the past several weeks as we have worked to stabilize the emergency situation, we have also been working toward improving the overall care the chimps receive and implementing every day feedings is part of this effort. I’d like to express my sincere gratitude to all of those that have contributed to this GoFundMe page. We also wouldn’t have been able to achieve this milestone without the hard work and dedication of the caretakers and chimp experts currently on the ground in Liberia. Please continue to like and share the chimps’ story. With your continued support, we will be able to accomplish so much more for these amazing chimps who have been through so much!

Oh my goodness this is awesome news. Poor babies.

But I want NYBC to be the ones to take responsibility for these chimps. They should pay back that money to everyone who donated, too - or match it and do something for other animals. I don't know. I want to see them have to take GOOD care of these chimps.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy - I don't even know how to ask or if to ask it - but do we know that 100% of the $ is going to these chimpanzees and this cause? I heard mixed things about HSUS.

And I hope the PEOPLE who are doing this as their job are getting paid a fair salary to do this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008 said:
Missy - I don't even know how to ask or if to ask it - but do we know that 100% of the $ is going to these chimpanzees and this cause? I heard mixed things about HSUS.

And I hope the PEOPLE who are doing this as their job are getting paid a fair salary to do this.

CJ, in general I prefer local animal shelters and a few key animal rescue organizations that I donate to every year over the HSUS. However in this case they are helping feed these chimpanzees through our donations so though they are not my first choice for giving money to in this case they are the only game in town. Here is a link that has a few charts breaking it down. How accurate this info is IDK but I do know the chimps are being fed every day at least and that is something.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3848#.VarVll7b9BU

I sure agree with you and hope NYBC steps up and does the right thing. They used these animals for decades and now leave them to die. Took away their quality of life keeping them in cages doing experiments on them, giving them diseases and now instead of fulfilling their promise to help these animals live out the rest of their lives as best as possible they leave them to die a horrible death. It makes me so angry. And makes me so sad. The chimpanzees are living beings and deserve to live out the rest of their life with some quality of life and not die of starvation.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy,

Yes, I had looked at charity navigator, saw that they went down to a 3 star rating in recent times.

But I hear what you're saying that they are the only ones involved right now...

And I had also read through the comments on the gofundme.com page and I really liked the way the organizer Katie Griffin addressed people's comments and questions.

In the meantime, I did email her directly asking these questions - I think if she's smart she'll update the body of the donation request to reflect these kinds of answers - I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, and most people might not bother to read through the comments.

I'll donate though.

But yes, I want NYBC to step up - I don't know how anybody that works there can sleep at night if they know about this.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If the NYBC has an actual NY Office they need to feel the presence.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1437262670|3904604 said:
Missy,

Yes, I had looked at charity navigator, saw that they went down to a 3 star rating in recent times.

But I hear what you're saying that they are the only ones involved right now...

And I had also read through the comments on the gofundme.com page and I really liked the way the organizer Katie Griffin addressed people's comments and questions.

In the meantime, I did email her directly asking these questions - I think if she's smart she'll update the body of the donation request to reflect these kinds of answers - I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering, and most people might not bother to read through the comments.

I'll donate though.

But yes, I want NYBC to step up - I don't know how anybody that works there can sleep at night if they know about this.

I agree completely CJ. She also wrote that some of the donated money will go to the workers who are taking care of the chimpanzees. Thank you so much for donating and signing the petition and writing to Katie too. If you check out the signature page a lot more people have signed the petition in the last day so woohoo on that.

azstonie said:
If the NYBC has an actual NY Office they need to feel the presence.

Kristie, they are located in Staten Island but picketers have been outside the home of the NYBC's chair- Howard Milstein. To no avail unfortunately. This is a very bad man.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/07/17/milstein-ignores-picketing-animal-rights-activists-outside-his-park-avenue-pad/

“Depriving chimps of food and water; Howard Milstein, primate slaughter!” they chanted outside 888 Park Avenue. Though the developer was nowhere to be found, the message was clear — no more monkey business. Animal rights activists on Thursday night picketed outside the Upper East Side home of the Milstein Properties head, with around two dozen people protesting the New York Blood Center chair’s role in the organization’s treatment of research chimpanzees in Africa. The protesters, organized by animal rights movement Their Turn, have fumed over New York Blood Center’s decision to withdraw funds that provided care to 66 chimpanzees used for research at the blood bank’s former biomedical facility in Liberia. The New York Blood Center issued a statement claiming that it doesn’t own the 66 chimpanzees and never has. “The animals are owned by the Liberian government, and their officials have repeatedly acknowledge that they have responsibility for the care of the chimpanzees – most recently in legal documents filed in March of this year,” the organization said. Activists voiced their displeasure at Milstein’s role in the organization’s decision and eventually staged a “die-in,” with the activists lying on their backs under 888 Park Avenue’s front-door awning, still chanting. Their Turn’s Donny Moss said the police initially wanted to keep the protesters barricaded in front of Milstein’s building. The activists refused, Moss said, citing the sidewalk’s status as public property, and were eventually allowed to march in front of the building. Moss said he suspected Milstein and the New York Blood Center did not want the “negative publicity” that would be associated a police crackdown on the protest. “I’m guessing Milstein told the police not to arrest us,” he told The Real Deal. He added that the activists are organizing another protest outside Milstein’s home next Tuesday. Milstein, who was also targeted by Occupy Wall Street protesters in 2011, did not respond to a request for comment. The New York Blood Center opened its Liberian research facility in 1975 and operated it for 30 years before closing the facility in 2005. While the organization had provided funding to care for the research chimpanzees since the facility’s closing, it decided to cut off funds earlier this year – a decision criticized by the Humane Society of the United States and renowned primatologist Jane Goodall. - See more at: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/07/17/milstein-ignores-picketing-animal-rights-activists-outside-his-park-avenue-pad/#sthash.5W8L3Otc.dpuf

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/07/16/primate-advocates-go-to-park-avenue-to-take-on-howard-milstein/

Figures he lives in a posh comfortable home with plenty of everything. All the comforts and luxuries anyone can dream of and yet he doesn't care anything about these chimpanzees that NYBC have used and abused for decades and decades and now they are just abandoning them. throwing them away like used tissues, like garbage. :cry: :cry: :cry:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I donated, signed and sent to fellow animal loving friends. This just breaks my heart!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1437307492|3904738 said:
You can reach President and CEO of NYBC, Chris Hillyer at 212 570-3000 and spokesperson Victoria O'Neil at 212 683-8100.email: [email protected]

I'll definitely do this Missy.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

CJ2008|1437258923|3904582 said:

HSUS is not the same as the Humane Society. Far as I'm concerned HSUS is on par w/PETA and my opinion could not be any lower.

If I read correctly there are other people/organizations involved as well and that is good to know.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1437328020|3904853 said:

HSUS is not the same as the Humane Society. Far as I'm concerned HSUS is on par w/PETA and my opinion could not be any lower.

If I read correctly there are other people/organizations involved as well and that is good to know.

Why, packrat, what have you heard/read?

And yes, I did see that it's a coalition with other organizations - seems like HSUS is taking the lead though.

I donated because they ARE feeding the chimpanzees right now - so even if some of that $ is not being used appropriately I am just going to ignore that for now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1437329643|3904863 said:
packrat|1437328020|3904853 said:

Why, packrat, what have you heard/read?

And yes, I did see that it's a coalition with other organizations - seems like HSUS is taking the lead though.

I donated because they ARE feeding the chimpanzees right now - so even if some of that $ is not being used appropriately I am just going to ignore that for now.

Yes, this exactly. Thanks CJ. And yes others are involved so that is very good.

Packrat, thanks for posting and I hope you will sign the petition if you have not already.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire|1437315465|3904778 said:
I donated, signed and sent to fellow animal loving friends. This just breaks my heart!

Thank you so much Yenny!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results