• BGD five stone trellis II

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I know I've posted before concerning this same topic but m having difficulty deciding between a five stone trellis ring and a five stone u-prong. Initially I absolutely thought I wanted a trellis five stone ring but after trying one on (probably not the nicest one but the only one I could find) I'm kind of thinking the u-prong might be a better fit. I want something that's low profile that I can wear daily without worrying I will ruin it or lose a stone. I'd also love the option to stack it with a plain band. Would love to hear some opinions.

Oh and I'm looking to purchase the ring from BGD.

Appreciate the help.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like a lower profile ring. I just ordered a 7 stone in a shared prong setting. I like how low it sits. However I voted for the trellis over the uprong. I love the profile. Good luck!

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
When I was planning my 5 stone, I had the same requirements. Although I preferred a basket setting (check out Bliss' 5 stone), my ER was basket and I found it very hard to keep clean as I couldn't get under where the lower pavillions sat in the basket. To me, a trellis looked like spider webs (creepy) so it was way down the list.

I ended up getting a preloved ring and it was a U prong! The more I wear it, the more I LOVE it! It sits as low as can be (the culet hovers just above my skin) and I rarely ever take it off. It hasn't caught on anything, doesn't scratch my kids when I bathe them and I've worn it 24/7 since I received it in February. The best part? Since the sides are completely open, I can clean it easily with a baby toothbrush while it's still on my finger! Good thing since it's a little tight and a pain to remove.. It's more swoopy and less of a "U" shape. It's called the Skye ring from WF and was the original that kcourselle designed and WF decided to carry permanently on their site.

I hope this helps.

img_20150718_090102723.jpg

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I love how low your ring sits. The way you describe your ring is exactly what I want. My e-ring is way to delicate to wear everyday with my son and I want something that I feel comfortable wearing daily that doesn't get in the way but still has some bling to it. Definitely thinking I'd stack it with a plain platinum band (I love the look of stacked rings). I did reach out to WF but their prices were definitely higher than BGD which is why I was planning to go forward with BDG.

I'm considering WG vs platinum to save a few dollars but still undecided since I'm concerned about the wear of WG over time. i don't want to cheap out and then regret it in the future.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't vote because I am having the same issue, I can't decide which I want....both are beautiful! ETA I will not being going with Brian Gavin...while I love, love, love his work I can't afford it...

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Shortly after I bought my ring preloved, a similar ring made by David Klass came up for sale too for half the price that I paid. I think he would be able to make one for you for much less than WF or BGD. Make sure to ask for ideal cut diamonds. IDJ also makes them with PS quality diamonds.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have the BGD U-prong in platinum. I love it & wear it daily. I also had a hard time deciding between the two settings. My BGD rep said that the trellis was more about the setting & the u-prong was more about the diamonds. Zero regret about choosing the u=prong.
Very comfy ring. Can't wait to see what you choose :))

five_stone_bgd_profile_shady_0.jpg

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
I picked the u-prong because from what you described is the same reason I chose the u-prong for myself. Its very long profile. I wash my kids with it too sometimes, run errands, kids sports, no problem. Sometimes forget its on. I did go with platinum, though. I personally like how platinum just displaces as opposed to with gold. Depends on diamond color too. Maybe platinum might be better to get now so to not regret later, if you do choose higher color diamonds.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Woofmama your ring is beautiful and one of the reasons I'm really considering the u-prong setting. I really want a ring that I can wear daily, is easy to clean and I don't have to worry so much about. I love my e-ring and wedding band but they're delicate and prefer not to wear them everyday.

Do you mind me asking what size finger your have and specs on the ring? I'm thinking of platinum or MAYBE WG with 5 X .30 on a size 4.75/5 finger. I heard the u-prong setting can run big and it's smart to go down a bit in size. Was that the case for you?

I'm also considering H colored stones in SI1 as of right now.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Livewithease, my WF ring has 5 x 30-31 pointers and I'm a size 4.5 (4.75 to get past my knuckle). My ring was made as 4.25 which is why its a bit tight to get on, but it doesn't spin at all. Since I rarely take it off, I've decided not to resize it until it becomes too difficult to remove.

I've included a hand shot so that you can see what it looks like with my WB. I don't stack as it doesn't go well with anything (all of my rings are pretty thin) so if you do stack, you will need something with a bit more girth or it will look odd (just my opinion though). I think Niel has a 5 stone (graduated) which she wears with a Cartier Trinity. It works well because its balanced. Skinny stacking rings don't work I think. Also, with a U prong, the girdles will rub at the ring next to it if they are touching.

Since our finger size is the same, I think your ring will look more like curtain swags instead of U's like mine which is what I prefer.

Hope this helps. You will absolutely love your 5 stone! It's been the best purchase I've made and I've even considered getting rid of my ER since I'm getting enough sparkle factor from it.

img_20150718_214519840.jpg

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Hmm...not sure if the photo attached properly sobhere it is again.

img_20150718_0.jpg

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of a trellis setting, but since you are wanting a low profile, I would definitely choose u-prong.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Jerichosmom thanks for the photos and your ring is lovely. I was thinking of having BDG make a plain band at the same time they made the five stone so that it could match and look balanced. Do you think that's a bad idea given that the issue with the rings rubbing against each other? I'm assuming the same issue would be present with the trellis setting as well. I've been. I've been noodling over this decision for months now and I just want to make the right move. I started with trying to use old stones but have walked away from that idea for several reasons and while I would consider IDJ or DK to help reduce cost I feel like I will always wish I got a BGD. It's kinda like my e-ring where I went with ERD when I really wish I just spent the extra $$ and went with VC.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Jerichosmum beautiful ring :appl: sorry and you Woofmama :appl:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
livewithease said:
Woofmama your ring is beautiful and one of the reasons I'm really considering the u-prong setting. I really want a ring that I can wear daily, is easy to clean and I don't have to worry so much about. I love my e-ring and wedding band but they're delicate and prefer not to wear them everyday.

Do you mind me asking what size finger your have and specs on the ring? I'm thinking of platinum or MAYBE WG with 5 X .30 on a size 4.75/5 finger. I heard the u-prong setting can run big and it's smart to go down a bit in size. Was that the case for you?

I'm also considering H colored stones in SI1 as of right now.

Thank you :)) I do find the ring very easy to clean & super comfy to wear. My ring size is 7.25, so much bigger than yours, & a total of 1.74ct. My diamonds are H-I VS2. .33ct-.34ct.

I'm perfectly happy with the H-I color range. I also wouldn't hesitate to use SI1 clarity diamonds, my studs are .50ct ea H SI1 from BGD and they're beautiful with zero visible imperfections.

Be ready to have your hand grabbed constantly when you get your ring :bigsmile: I get so many compliments & it gets passed around amongst friends for try ons all the time.

I agree with Jericho, I've purchased quite a few pieces since becoming a PSer & this is one of my best purchases! The only way I would consider changing it would be if I did a major splurge and had it made into a full eternity, which is likely to happen umm never :devil:

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
My mind is made up and I'm definitely moving forward with the u-prong five stone. In fact I just emailed BGD back to confirm and asked them to pick me out five eye clean stones. I really want to be able to stack this ring and love the look of it coupled with the Cartier rolling rings. If I did something like that should I purchase the ring in WG vs platinum or is it okay to mix metals?

I already own a 10 pointer shared eternity band in platinum that I love and was thinking I might be able stack this with a small spacer in between but it be too much together and a plain band or a rolling band might be better.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I like the look of a big and small band together - like this (this is a bigger size difference than you would have, but gives you an idea.)

I'm forgetting who this gorgeous set belongs to, sorry!!

_32524.jpg

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
That's beautiful as well!!!do you think I'm better off getting WG so I can mix different colored metals together or Sri k with platinum because it will wear the best over time?

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
IMO, you can mix metals either way. I think the concern about metal-on-metal wear is overstated, personally.

The drawback to WG for me is that I wear the rhodium playing off very quickly. So it ends up with a warmer appearance, which is growing on me but initially bothered me. I won't bother plating any WG I end up with in the future.

I like both unplated WG and platinum mixed with rose gold, if that's what you were thinking about doing.

Your ring is going to be gorgeous :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results