shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you clean your engagement rings?

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
I used to use an ultrasonic cleaner, but found that it can loosen settings over time. I have heard of people using vodka or steam, but I found my favourite method is this:

* Cup of very hot water, drop the ring in with a denture cleaning tablet, yes, really!

* After around 5 mins I use a thick flat tip paint brush, dipping in the solution and pressing on top of the stone, through the sides etc

* Soak again and then another clean with the paint brush

* Rinse off with just boiled water and press dry with a piece of kitchen roll paper

* Final polish with a lens cleaning cloth

* Even looking a 10x loupe this brings up the stone totally spotless, not a smudge in sight!

I'd love to hear what you guys do!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine every day, but that seems like a lot of work. :)

I usually use Palmolive and a small brush, rinse w distilled water. Or if I'm really in a hurry I'll just use the Connoisseur's in the red jar, scrub, rinse, and dry, and get in the bottom with a really small cotton swab to make sure the pavilion is dry and spotless.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
decisively_unsure|1437149533|3904109 said:
I used to use an ultrasonic cleaner, but found that it can loosen settings over time. I have heard of people using vodka or steam, but I found my favourite method is this:

* Cup of very hot water, drop the ring in with a denture cleaning tablet, yes, really!

* After around 5 mins I use a thick flat tip paint brush, dipping in the solution and pressing on top of the stone, through the sides etc

* Soak again and then another clean with the paint brush

* Rinse off with just boiled water and press dry with a piece of kitchen roll paper

* Final polish with a lens cleaning cloth

* Even looking a 10x loupe this brings up the stone totally spotless, not a smudge in sight!

I'd love to hear what you guys do!
Very cool. All I can say is if it works for you keep doing it!

I usually recommend getting a specialized brush from an art supply store. One with long, thin but stiff bristles. This makes it possible to get up and under difficult to reach places where film and dirt can build up.

As for soaking, a dilute solution of household ammonia and warm water works well. After brushing and rinsing, drying with a few blasts from a can of compressed air or even a hair drier is a good finish.

Vodka? :wacko:

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have heard of denture cleaners being used, but I'm not sure I would use them. Some might contain chemicals that are hard on the metal in your ring over time. I also stay away from ammonia even though it is supposed to be fine on gold and diamonds. I have heard it can be hard on the rhodium finish over the white gold.

We have been sticking to cleaning with warm water and dish soap every morning after soaking it in the dish water solution overnight. Working well so far and free of harsh chemicals.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is easy for me since my stone is on a tension setting...Spray with Windex then brush with a baby toothbrush, rinse in warm water, then dry with a towel. Everything is done in 2 mins.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
ecf8503|1437151273|3904119 said:
I clean mine every day, but that seems like a lot of work. :)

I usually use Palmolive and a small brush, rinse w distilled water. Or if I'm really in a hurry I'll just use the Connoisseur's in the red jar, scrub, rinse, and dry, and get in the bottom with a really small cotton swab to make sure the pavilion is dry and spotless.

I agree that it sounds like a lot of work. I clean my jewelry routinely, but I don't always have time to spend several minutes on the cleaning process. I have found that a quick scrub with my Diamond Dazzle stick and a hot water rinse do the job nicely - and it only takes a moment. I think that if you clean your jewelry regularly, you don't need to spend too much time on the cleaning process because it's more about maintenance and less about the actual cleaning process. I have also read that some of the denture cleaning products that can be harmful to metals over time.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With regards to diamonds and precious metals, I would not be concerned about using dilute ammonia and water (or other jewelry cleaners) if you are cleaning every week or two. If you are cleaning daily it might be a good idea to limit it to dish soap and water.

Professional cleaning involves ultrasonic baths with some pretty strong chemical solutions, and that causes no harm that I am aware of. Then again, the jewelry is not subject to it on a continual basis.

It's important to use common sense and appropriate practices, but I am not aware of a case where someone has damaged a piece of diamond jewelry by cleaning it too frequently. A much bigger problem in my opinion is people not cleaning their jewelry often enough. If you let it go too long you can develop a hardened film that is very difficult to remove without professional cleaning.

unsworth

Rough_Rock
I'm mostly a lurker but wanted to share my quick cleaning method. I use my battery operated toothbrush with an old brush head (all brushes same height) and dip in Windex. I have a shared prong wedding set and it cleans the underside open areas perfectly. The first time I tried it, I was shocked because it was as clean and sparkly as my jeweler has done for me. I checked with a 10x loupe. Takes me one minute and I rinse with tap water. Voila! Usually do this 2-3x per week.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1437158850|3904169 said:
It is easy for me since my stone is on a tension setting...Spray with Windex then brush with a baby toothbrush, rinse in warm water, then dry with a towel. Everything is done in 2 mins.
I do this but use a blow dryer on a cooler setting to get it dry underneath.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of using a can of compressed air or a hairdryer. :) As for potential damage from denture cleaning tablets there are zero issues with platinum and diamond but yes it could tarnish silver and is not recommended for other applications like non-precious metals and "softer" gems. Also I only clean once a week using a lens cloth alone now and again in between. :)

dms42

Rough_Rock
Here's a tip too... Get in the habit of drying your ring every time you wash your hands. It sounds daunting, but once you get into the habit, its second nature. It only takes a second. No need to take the ring off- just rinse your hands with hot water, then take the paper towel and dry the ring, paying attention to the table, sides, and wipe any side stones. It will keep your ring cleaner and sparkly between deeper cleanings.

For deeper cleanings, I use Windex or Mr. Clean in a shot glass. I drop my ring in and let it soak for awhile (an hour or so). Using an old toothbrush, I scrub under the prongs and all facets including the culet. Rinse under hot water and dry with a paper towel. Sometimes people are scared to scrub their diamonds, but rest assured that they are secure. Be careful with the ultrasonic on pave settings and micro settings- they can shake loose. For those, I might dip them in the ultrasonic for a second then gently clean them by hand.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
is there any special tips on how to clean fancy colored diamond? i heard that certain chemicals or procedures will make the color fade. any suggestions?

mns12

Shiny_Rock
Most of the time I let my diamond jewelry soak in hot water and Dawn dish soap. Then I clean with a baby toothbrush and finish blow dryer on cool setting. I was going to ask if there is such a thing as cleaning your ring too much? But I think Texas Leaguer answered that question as long as you aren't using any harsh products. For those that use paper towels to dry, does that leave lint/white residue on the diamond??

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1437160539|3904191 said:
I agree that it sounds like a lot of work. I clean my jewelry routinely, but I don't always have time to spend several minutes on the cleaning process. I have found that a quick scrub with my Diamond Dazzle stick and a hot water rinse do the job nicely - and it only takes a moment. I think that if you clean your jewelry regularly, you don't need to spend too much time on the cleaning process because it's more about maintenance and less about the actual cleaning process. I have also read that some of the denture cleaning products that can be harmful to metals over time.

I had never heard of a Diamond Dazzle stick until I read it here. It must have been kismet, because I found one at the store today. I think I'm in love with it!

I have a vintage ring with a small diamond (.25) in a sturdy illusion setting (nicely done, because people assume the stone is larger than it is). I don't have any problems cleaning the small accent stones, but that center stone is impossible to reach to clean. One pass with the Diamond Dazzle Stick, and it's clean and sparkly! :appl:

I've tried most of the methods listed here ... Windex, ammonia, Mr. Clean, Dawn, ... vodka was amusing, but it doesn't really work better than anything else (and, yes, it is safe to drink it after you swish your diamonds in it, if you want to). The Diamond Dazzle stick is most impressive!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1437271974|3904645 said:
momhappy|1437160539|3904191 said:

I had never heard of a Diamond Dazzle stick until I read it here. It must have been kismet, because I found one at the store today. I think I'm in love with it!

I have a vintage ring with a small diamond (.25) in a sturdy illusion setting (nicely done, because people assume the stone is larger than it is). I don't have any problems cleaning the small accent stones, but that center stone is impossible to reach to clean. One pass with the Diamond Dazzle Stick, and it's clean and sparkly! :appl:

I've tried most of the methods listed here ... Windex, ammonia, Mr. Clean, Dawn, ... vodka was amusing, but it doesn't really work better than anything else (and, yes, it is safe to drink it after you swish your diamonds in it, if you want to). The Diamond Dazzle stick is most impressive!

How long does one diamond dazzle stick last if you clean your ring every day?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Warm water - soft toothbrush - tiny bit of toothpaste - PLUG in sink lol.

Yep nearly lost one the day I learnt I have the reflexes of a cat lol

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just throw my ering into the dishwasher. Actually I place or in a 'munchkin' container and place that on the top shelf. It comes out sparkling like my dishes!

_32522.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow Luce, you are very brave to throw them into the dishwasher. I think I'd be somewhat nervous. But that pouch looks awfully secure! I throw my scrub sponges into the dw to sanitize, but never thought of jewelry!!

I must look for a Diamond Dazzle stick...are they in stores or online?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first time I did it I was very nervous but it works well! I am always looking for better ways to clean my jewelry .... Would love to try the diamond dazzle stick.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
sarahb|1437322312|3904819 said:
Wow Luce, you are very brave to throw them into the dishwasher. I think I'd be somewhat nervous. But that pouch looks awfully secure! I throw my scrub sponges into the dw to sanitize, but never thought of jewelry!!

Google has the Diamond Dazzle sticks online; I bought mine at a store. Mine is made by Connoisseur, so anyone who sells their jewelry cleaning products will probably have the stick, as well.

I'd be leery of putting jewelry in the dishwasher; if I can't put fine china or crystal in the dishwasher ... :confused:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The grommet makes a jewelry cleaning container that you can put in the dishwasher. You can check it out online. The one thing I didn't like about it was that the closure mechanism didn't look sturdy enough. This is where I got the idea to use the 'munchkin' Which has a a very secure clasp. I have a couple of them so I can do two rings at once. I love the results.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1437322312|3904819 said:

I bought one from Amazon.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found the diamond dazzle stick at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday ($7.99)! I tried it out last night and was very pleased with the results. Its a blue gel that you apply with a very soft brush and it really polishes the ring well. I am wondering how long the product will last as it is a small tube. We will see!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems like it would be a good option for traveling, I'll have to pick one up! :wavey: :wavey:

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
I thought I would also lend my support to the diamond dazzle stick!

I discovered it about 3 years ago and I find that it cleans my ring better than Mr. Clean, Dawn, Windex, or an ultrasonic cleaner. I don't know what is in that blue gel but it really does make the diamond and the metal of my ring super duper sparkly!

I clean my ring with it about 1 time per week and it lasts me about 6 months. I only have to use a tiny amount of it. I've been cleaning my 18k rhodium plated WG w/palladium ring with it for 4 years and I haven't noticed any damage to the plating or diamonds. In 4 years I've only had it re-plated twice and it was more to get rid of scratches than yellowing.

I found them at Wal-Mart for around $7 I think. I give them to my newly engaged friends as little engagement gifts and they are always a hit!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the Keurig owners ... anyone ever toss their ring/s into one of those reusable screen filter coffee puck things and run it through a cycle in there (like if you were brewing a cup of coffee)? I thought about giving this a whirl to see how it works for a quick daily cleaning, much like hot water soak/steam.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mns12|1437270670|3904641 said:
Most of the time I let my diamond jewelry soak in hot water and Dawn dish soap. Then I clean with a baby toothbrush and finish blow dryer on cool setting. I was going to ask if there is such a thing as cleaning your ring too much? But I think Texas Leaguer answered that question as long as you aren't using any harsh products. For those that use paper towels to dry, does that leave lint/white residue on the diamond??
Spray with Windex then brush with a baby toothbrush, rinse in warm water. This is what I use to dry the stone it does not leave any lint, then dip in alcohol, then airless spray.

img_8720.jpg

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
Cool looks like a diamond dazzle stick is the way to go then. Lots of good ideas in here, cheers!

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
JoCoJenn|1437447784|3905489 said:
For the Keurig owners ... anyone ever toss their ring/s into one of those reusable screen filter coffee puck things and run it through a cycle in there (like if you were brewing a cup of coffee)? I thought about giving this a whirl to see how it works for a quick daily cleaning, much like hot water soak/steam.

I'm trying to picture what you are describing and I can't :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't ever cleaned my rings with the Keurig but I have thought about using the steam attachment on my espresso machine to clean them If I had some long tweezers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results