shape
carat
color
clarity

In dire need of tried and true opinion on price of resizing

1dqs357

Rough_Rock
Hi all

What is the pricing for the channel setting to be resize? From a size 6 to size 3.75 they're saying the small diamonds came loose due to the modification of the structure. These people are also charging a setting fee on top of other labor fees (open the bridge up to accommodate a ~8mm diamond turned diagonal/ kite compass set) so I am in dire need to know what is a reasonable pricing for all that? I mean I saw videos on how to set a stone it shouldn't cost 15% right??? Has anyone ever had something like that done to their ring please help me out I'd really appreciate your inputs. Thank you so much!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: In dire need of tried and true opinion on price of resiz

I would not even attempt to do that or let my jewellers attempt it.
They will probably end up remaking the ring and replacing broken diamonds!
If anyone is going to do it then you are very lucky!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

On the same subject, your past posts are numerous/telling. You've purchased a non solitaire stock setting and require (substantial) modifications for sizing. Do I understand this correctly?

In short, you are asking for custom modifications that are not safely possible to a stock setting. Your jeweller is telling you this--verbally and in cost add on's. If you need specific requirements, why not have a custom setting made?

cheers--Sharon

1dqs357

Rough_Rock

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1437008789|3903363 said:
I would not even attempt to do that or let my jewellers attempt it.
They will probably end up remaking the ring and replacing broken diamonds!

Hi sir what do you mean "replacing broken diamonds"? I'm told they'd cut the bottom to resize and then tighten the small diamonds once they structure it back to a round shape. Their labor for that is $150. Would the diamonds get broken during this process? I have no clue about this stuff. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

1dqs357

Rough_Rock

canuk-gal|1437009827|3903369 said:
HI:

On the same subject, your past posts are numerous/telling. You've purchased a non solitaire stock setting and require (substantial) modifications for sizing. Do I understand this correctly?

In short, you are asking for custom modifications that are not safely possible to a stock setting. Your jeweller is telling you this--verbally and in cost add on's. If you need specific requirements, why not have a custom setting made?

cheers--Sharon

Thank you Sharon for your input. To answer you, they're quoting a custom e-ring for double the cost of all this... I guess I'm trying to stay in budget. Even though they're doing their best to not let us stay in our budget. Big sighs. Honestly, It's been too long and I'm eager to get this whole ordeal done. I'm aware that's unfortunate since this is supposed to be a happy occasion and all.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Your budget might not be realistic for what you want. But you're going to pay more in the end to get a stock ring resized than it will cost to just get it custom made to size because the upkeep when you resize a ring that much is going to me monumental with stones coming loose. No reputable jeweler would resize a ring that far of a size swing. So I will reiterate my first sentence: Your budget might not be realistic for what you want.

You might also want to quote what you want through some of the PS vendors, if you can get a refund for what you have paid thus far.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Never buy a ring that is more than 1 size different from the size you need, and preferably the exact size if there are diamonds on the shank. A size 6 ring with diamonds should never be sized down to 3.75. You need to order a ring in the correct size for her finger and for the diamond. It doesn't have to be custom. Just order a stock ring in the right size. You may as well just sell the one you already bought.

1dqs357

Rough_Rock

ame|1437012824|3903397 said:
Your budget might not be realistic for what you want. But you're going to pay more in the end to get a stock ring resized than it will cost to just get it custom made to size because the upkeep when you resize a ring that much is going to me monumental with stones coming loose. No reputable jeweler would resize a ring that far of a size swing. So I will reiterate my first sentence: Your budget might not be realistic for what you want.

You might also want to quote what you want through some of the PS vendors, if you can get a refund for what you have paid thus far.

Thank you for your input. That's a good option to get quotes from the vendors here. My concern is more about all the fees they're charging me for. I mean has anyone ever had to pay for their own mounting/ 4 prong peg to house the stone? In my case it's $380! Is that common practice? Or are they taking advantage of me? Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just realized you are the one on the other thread. I have no trust in this jeweler because they should have told you a channel set ring cannot be sized down to a 3.75 from a 6. I do not consider them reputable. They should have ordered the ring in the correct ring size and with a head the right size for your stone, period.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think what the others are trying to tell you is that, regardless of what they are charging you (whether it's a little amount or a huge amount), what they are doing is not at all advisable for the durability, longevity and function of the ring. Any competent jeweler would know this. That they are doing it is very suspect. You will have a ring that is structurally unstable and will likely be replacing the small diamonds as going down from a size 6 to a 3.75 will only end in poorly held melee.

I know you feel like you've spent a lot of time with these people and maybe you've put down a deposit. But what we are saying is that you will save money in the long run if you cut ties now and get either a A) custom setting specifically for your diamond and size finger or B) get a stock setting specifically for your diamond and size finger.

1dqs357

Rough_Rock

JDDN|1437021490|3903454 said:
I think what the others are trying to tell you is that, regardless of what they are charging you (whether it's a little amount or a huge amount), what they are doing is not at all advisable for the durability, longevity and function of the ring. Any competent jeweler would know this. That they are doing it is very suspect. You will have a ring that is structurally unstable and will likely be replacing the small diamonds as going down from a size 6 to a 3.75 will only end in poorly held melee.

I know you feel like you've spent a lot of time with these people and maybe you've put down a deposit. But what we are saying is that you will save money in the long run if you cut ties now and get either a A) custom setting specifically for your diamond and size finger or B) get a stock setting specifically for your diamond and size finger.

You are so on point and wise! I'm gonna have a talk with them tomorrow about the integrity of this ring. (And theirs too, I'd imagine) I didn't consider any alternative because I'm at my wits end. I'm not sure why THEY didn't suggest ordering one from the manufacturer that would actually fit my specs and budget? They're after my wallet it seems like. Do you have any advice on what I should look out for when I pick up this ring? Cuz it's almost finished... But I've not paid for it, just for the stone itself.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would inspect the diamonds on the shank with a loupe and also the head/mounting. Basically anywhere there was a modification. You can look for any areas of weakness or potential weakness. More importantly now that the ring is made, ask them what they will do if the ring does not stand up to the modifications they've done to it. Ie, can you get your money back? A credit? Do they re-order the proper size for your diamond and finger? And how long do you have for these assurances? Ie, 30 days, 60 days?

Also, what happens if you don't like it since you haven't paid for it? Can you walk (probably lose a deposit, but that's fair since they've done work)?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

So they've already done the work then? Well I suspect you're stuck now. I would not have agreed to any of this. They're going to expect payment at this point and you're in a corner now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1437054802|3903535 said:
So they've already done the work then? Well I suspect you're stuck now. I would not have agreed to any of this. They're going to expect payment at this point and you're in a corner now.
I'm not sure what you can do if they have started work on this. It is never a good idea to resize a ring that has melees down the shank 3 sizes up or 3 sizes down as it will impact the diamond melees.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, if they have already started, you are stuck. Just look at it and see if you can see problems. If so, you can reject it and ask for your stone back. Under no circumstances would I pay before I see it. Regardless, I'd be planning for the first anniversary to order a setting in her size and for your size stone. Wish you had found PS a lot sooner.

1dqs357

Rough_Rock

I wish I found this sooner too and I'd have made better decisions. I'll hope for the best for now and keep your advices in mind. The only redeeming thing about with mess is I haven't paid nothing but the stone so far. I know overall pricing it's not too bad. I wish they told me all of this/ like a little disclosure about the works done to it and not just "this costs this much and that costs that much" I'm thinking what the hey I'll tell them this when I see them next time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results