shape
carat
color
clarity

How's Your Fire Extinguisher?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Just read an article, and it reminded me that you never know your fire extinguisher doesn't work until it's too late. :shock:

You can test them and read gauges, etc., but honestly, a new one sounds good to me.

Or maybe you don't actually own one. :???:

So, thought I'd mention it.

If you have kids, there are plenty of spray can type extinguishers that you can teach them to use.

Or if you have kids in dorms, they might not have one. Or elderly relatives, do they have one purchased in this decade?

For a few bucks it could be really handy.

Plenty on Amazon or at hardware stores.

Just sayin' . . .

Knock on wood, spit three times, that you never need to use it. ;-)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree here. Costco also sells them.

Hubby and I are volunteers for our local CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) and have multiple fire extinguishers
throughout the house: larger ones in the kitchen, one in every bedroom, several in different spots in the garage.
As part of our training, we get to put out small fires. Make sure you aim at the base of the fire and not at the top of the flames.

Also, many have heard to put out grease fires, put a lid over the pan. Yes that works, but a better way is to use a cookie sheet so there is less possibility of burning your hand.

Hope this helps.

MisterMadelise

Shiny_Rock
iLander|1422464765|3823264 said:

I didn't even know people keep these in their homes. :shifty:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reminder...I think it's under the kitchen sink? And I've had it since graduate school :snooty: Yeah, time to get a new one tonight.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks for the reminder! Not like it beeps when it is past it's due date :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ours is replenished by our property managers every winter, along with our fire alarms being checked. We also have an exit strategy or us and the kitties in case of fire upstairs and downstairs.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
We have two, one upstairs and one down. We also have 15 smoke detectors in our house. Everything is less than 6 months old. I have three very small children who would not be able to exit the home on their own so I am fanatical about early detection and working extinguishers. We had an alarm go off last year in the middle of the night. The first alarm beep woke me, the 2nd beep had me beating my husband awake and off I was scooping sleeping babies out of cribs as he ran downstairs to investigate. Luckily it was a false alarm, but I don't screw around with this.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
We bring ours to our local fire department to get checked out. If we cannot get it recharged we buy a new one. The fire department will tell you which extinguisher is best to use and will even show you how to use one. They are rated for different kinds of fires and it is important you use the correct one.

We have smoke alarms, but have extinguishers because our area has no fire hydrants or public water. Kicking ourselves for not installing a sprinkler system when we built 20 years ago.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We have two, one in the kitchen and one in the utility room. I think I will pick one up for the bedroom, great idea.

The in-laws have had two house fires in the past year. We bought them extinguishers and so did step-BIL. Well last time we were over I found them stacked outside. So moral of the story: if you plan to buy extinguishers for family members, a course would be great so they understand the importance and know how to use them!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this reminder iLander! We have 2 extinguishers at the beach house that we replaced in 2011 (kitchen and basement) but I think we need a third and fourth. One upstairs in the master bedroom and one above that in the full attic we have.

In our NY co-op we only have one fire extinguisher and it is 11 years old(!) (in my dh's workroom/man cave) and one outside in the main hall of each floor but I think we can certainly use another in our master bedroom there as well.

iLander, thank you for your thread! We need to replace and add some fire extinguishers.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We have a few stashed away in different areas of the house & garage. Thankfully, my DH likes to prepare for all sorts of disasters - we have back-up food/water supplies, a generator, fire extinguishers, first aid kits (in the house & all vehicles), flashlights & portable lamps/lighting, portable heaters, chargers, etc. He's even got some bug out bags packed with essentials/emergency supplies in case we needed to get out of the house fast.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We got one included with our new home purchase. I think they need to be serviced/replaced every 3-5 years? Should check that actually.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We carry them onboard our gamefishing vessels and change them over for brand new ones at the start of every season - simply in the interest of safety. Changing them at home, well that's a different story lol. Better have a look when I get home...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
MisterMadelise said:
iLander|1422464765|3823264 said:

I didn't even know people keep these in their homes. :shifty:

Lol! :lol: Yeah, might want to pick up a couple over the weekend. Just for hoots.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
When we owned an office building, a fire marshal would come through once a year and check our extinguishers. If we didn't have them, or they didn't work, we'd get fined. Even if we did have good extinguishers, we'd pay $25 for the inspection.

It was about this time of year, so must be why I have the urge to take care of this now.

I was shocked :shock: to learn the kids don't have any in the dorm. I think there should be a law that all dorm kitchens should have them. Or at least in the main hallways. Honestly, for a lot of these kids it's their first time alone with a stove. :rolleyes:

Ordered a bunch from Amazon, going to replace and replenish. I think the ones we have might work, but there's no reason to chance it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
chemgirl|1422504341|3823642 said:
We have two, one in the kitchen and one in the utility room. I think I will pick one up for the bedroom, great idea.

The in-laws have had two house fires in the past year. We bought them extinguishers and so did step-BIL. Well last time we were over I found them stacked outside. So moral of the story: if you plan to buy extinguishers for family members, a course would be great so they understand the importance and know how to use them!

Oh, for cryin' out loud! :o

soocool

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1422571399|3824099 said:
When we owned an office building, a fire marshal would come through once a year and check our extinguishers. If we didn't have them, or they didn't work, we'd get fined. Even if we did have good extinguishers, we'd pay $25 for the inspection.

It was about this time of year, so must be why I have the urge to take care of this now.

I was shocked :shock: to learn the kids don't have any in the dorm. I think there should be a law that all dorm kitchens should have them. Or at least in the main hallways. Honestly, for a lot of these kids it's their first time alone with a stove. :rolleyes:

Ordered a bunch from Amazon, going to replace and replenish. I think the ones we have might work, but there's no reason to chance it.

When my DD first started college the only ones to have a fire extinguisher were the people in charge of the dorm wing and even then they told them not to use it (not trained). Each dorm room did have a sprinkler system though which IMO is better. A funny story when she moved into the apartments, someone in a neighboring apartment put a frozen pizza in the oven with the plastic wrap on and then he locked himself out of the apartment. You cannot cook in the dorms which is good. You have to be careful when they move into apartments. Cooking and college students do not mix.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've been in this house for 2 years and I don't think we even have any here. I knew where they were in our old house but I know we didn't move them. DH gets home tomorrow. I will be asking him to get some.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought 4 new fire extinguishers at Costco this weekend. Thanks again for the reminder.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1422877506|3825891 said:
We bought 4 new fire extinguishers at Costco this weekend. Thanks again for the reminder.

That's great, Missy! I'm happy to know you're safer now. :appl: :appl:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Ilander, I've been meaning to find this thread again and thank you for this safety reminder. I read this earlier in the year and updated our home extinguishers. I also just bought new extinguishers for work recently and it reminded me that I needed to say thanks! :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great reminder, iLander! Since I have yet to upgrade the electrical in my house, its probably wise that I replace the 25-year old fire extinguisher we bought when we first moved in! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results