shape
carat
color
clarity

Sister Eloped, Need Gift Ideas

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
My sister and her boyfriend who have been living together for almost 15 years just sent us pictures of their wedding in South Africa. Getting married where apartheid once was rampant and now is no more is very significant as my new BIL is white and my sister is black. 8-)

We knew that they were going there for her job. She gave her presentation last week. He always tags along on her trips and they enjoy sightseeing when she is done. They never even hinted that they were eloping or were contemplating marriage when we had a mini-family reunion last month. She has never worn an engagement ring. I was able to see, from the photos she emailed us, that she now has a very nice halo e-ring with a matching band . :appl:

I have no idea what to get them. I love her dearly, but we are not close. She always finds fault with whatever I do. They own their own home and finished renovating the master bedroom and the bathrooms last year. She hates gift cards.

I was thinking of sending a beautiful bouquet with a nice card when they return.

I am open to suggestions.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd send flowers and a bottle of wine or something. No need to do anything more if you're not close. Especially since you cant win with her.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats to your sister and her husband. Wonderful news! I agree with ame re the gift. If she is so difficult and critical you will never find the perfect gift so flowers and a bottle of champagne or whatever alcohol she likes is a safe gift IMO. And a heartfelt letter/card expressing your feelings and congratulating her would be a lovely gift!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No gifts required for an elopement. However a nice card with a heartfelt message is nice. I like the other ideas of champagne, not sure how that would ship (depends on laws where you are). Flowers are a nice safe bet too!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your responses! I love the idea of sending a bottle of champagne and a nice card along with the flowers.

I am happy for them because they are truly happy with each other. Although I know it is not necessary to send a gift since they eloped, I would like to give them something to positively acknowledge their marriage.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gifts are never required.

I received lovely gifts sent with sweet sentiments from people who could not attend my wedding. They weren't a quid pro quo. I have sent many wedding, graduation, and baby gifts without being invited to an event.

That said, I think flowers and a bottle of good champagne are wonderful. :love: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results