shape
carat
color
clarity

Low Income Women to Lose Birth Control

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This steams my clams! If you are pro-life this prevents thousands of abortions (363,000 in 2012 alone, see article) every year. If you are pro-choice, this is a reproductive choice issue.

Title X provides family planning and reproductive health services to low-income women.

While the headlines of late have all been about gay marriage,lethal injection, and the Affordable Care Act, a major strike against women’s health care has been quietly mounting in Washington.

In preparing its budget proposal for the upcoming year, the GOP-led Congress has made moves to fully eliminate Title X, the only federal grant program dedicated solely to providing individuals with comprehensive family planning and related reproductive health services, including contraception.

However, there’s evidence that Title X saves taxpayers money: For every public dollar invested in family planning, the American taxpayer saves approximately $7 in Medicaid-related costs. Nearly half of all births in the U.S. are paid for by Medicaid, the health care program for low-income families and individuals; the average national cost for one Medicaid-covered birth is $12,770. This is a stark contrast to the $239 per-client cost of publicly funded contraceptive care through Title X family planning. It is estimated, then, that Title X saves taxpayers nearly $7 billion a year.

There’s also evidence that Title X prevents unintended pregnancies — 1.1 million in 2012, to be exact, according to the Guttmacher Institute. These pregnancies would have resulted in 527,000 unplanned births and 363,000 abortions. Without the services provided by Title X — which include Pap smears, breast exams, cancer screenings, sexually transmitted infection screenings, and HIV tests — it is estimated that the number of unplanned births and abortions would be 66 percent higher.

Full article https://www.yahoo.com/health/title-x-the-federal-family-planning-program-is-123492140982.html

Email your Senator today! Tell them you support Title X funding, just a line or two is all you need, the assistants will just keep a count of the sentiment, very few emails will even be read. Do a little something for the rights of (poor) women today.
:wavey: :wavey:

Here is the US Congress website
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Here is the House of Representatives official government site
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Done!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Done.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You rock, ame!

Awesome as usual, Gypsy!

You're both my heros, ladies! I can tell who the strong women are on this forum. :appl:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
This Republican schizz has been going on since 2010, and it's all because they don't want anyone to have an abortion. Birth control is just collateral damage, or an ancillary benefit, depending on how cynical one is.
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/06/17/3670537/house-gop-title-x-budget/
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/275711-gop-bill-would-bar-planned-parenthood-from-title-x

In just the last four years, states have enacted 231 abortion restrictions.
http://www.guttmacher.org/media/inthenews/2015/01/05/index.html

The lawmakers don't even want med students to learn how to perform abortions.
Tucked deep in HB 465, an anti-abortion bill that would restrict the procedure in several different ways, is an obscure provision that stipulates that "no department at the medical school at East Carolina University or the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill shall permit an employee to perform or supervise the performance of an abortion as part of the employee's official duties."
https://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/04/07/3643669/north-carolina-abortion-training/

Roe vs Wade is being gutted, and maybe soon US women will have to resort to getting their abortion pills by drone, like these Polish women:

The Abortion Drone departed from Germany and landed at the opposite side of the river in Slubice, Poland.
While the drones were crossing the German/Polish border , the German Police tried to intervene but the drone pilots were able to safely land the drones at the Polish side.
Two Polish women swallowed the abortion pills that were delivered to them by the drones. The German police confiscated the drone controllers and personal iPads. They threatened that there will be charges but it is totally unclear on what grounds. The German Polish already admitted that flying the drone over the border was not illegal but now want to test a violation of the Arzneimittelgesetz (medicines law) (18). However as required by that law the medicines were provided on prescription by a doctor and both Poland and Germany are part of Schengen.

http://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/5832/first-abortion-drone-flight--a-success--women-in-poland-receive-medical-abortion

These Republicans are attempting legislation that directly contravenes scientific evidence and WHO policy, and ironically (for the GOP), will cost the taxpayers.
According to the World Health organisation “In countries where induced abortion is legally highly restricted and/or unavailable, safe abortion has frequently become the privilege of the rich, while poor women have little choice but to resort to unsafe providers, causing deaths and morbidities that become the social and financial responsibility of the public health system” and “Laws and policies on abortion should protect women’s health and their human rights. Regulatory, policy and programmatic barriers that hinder access to and timely provision of safe abortion care should be removed.”
http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/unsafe_abortion/9789241548434/en/

_32080.jpg

_32081.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's because they are imposing their religious will on others, while simultaneously claiming their religious freedoms are under attack. What about the rest of us who don't believe the same nonsense "you" do? Christianity in whatever this organized nonsensical form is is not the only "organized religion", or lack thereof, practiced by the citizens of this country and it's high time that lawmakers stop imposing that will upon the taxpaying citizens that live within its borders. Not everyone feels that abortion is wrong, not everyone feels birth control is wrong, not everyone feels that same sex relationships and marriages are wrong, in fact the numbers of people in support of those things is far higher than those against. The voices against are just louder, and in some cases, richer, than those of the supporters. And guess who runs our government? The ones with the big loud money.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, I totally agree, but if you single out Christianity on these boards, or even the more repugnant aspects of religion, you'll get the whole thread deleted.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
JaneSmith|1436462385|3900880 said:
Ame, I totally agree, but if you single out Christianity on these boards, or even the more repugnant aspects of religion, you'll get the whole thread deleted.
Fair point, but the religious right wing is who is the primary driver behind this entire movement. So in theory if we're going to talk about this issue, they're going to need to be called to the carpet.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. :)) This is an important topic, and the main drivers behind restricting bodily autonomy and basic women's healthcare are obvious. It can also be difficult to temper our anger when discussing these drivers but we must, to let the discussion happen at all.
It's not something that is easy for me either. :angryfire:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well the part that gets me is that if you're anti-abortion, wouldn't you be PRO birth control?

This prevents over 1 million pregnancies a year.

Abortions would increase by 66% if they de-fund this.

Why would anyone be against birth control for poor women?

Not one penny of this money funds abortions. Not one penny.

I am beginning to think the laws over the last few years are just anti-women.

Or they want us all to be brain dead breeders like that Duggar woman. Have you looked at her eyes? She's dead inside. :shock:

Just another blow for the War on Women. :cry:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done.

I went to an expensive and exclusive private school and by our senior year @ 65% had terminated a pregnancy. In the comfort and safety of their gynecologist's office or on a quick trip to Europe. No foaming at the mouth sign carriers on their way in or out. Medically safe procedures.

Women of means or from families of means have always had access to safe and private services.

Middle class and poor women? Nope!

Let's not leave our sisters twisting in the wind!!!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
iLander said:
Or they want us all to be brain dead breeders like that Duggar woman. Have you looked at her eyes? She's dead inside.

I know that's your opinion, but it's pretty harsh and judgmental...even rude. Why is someone braindead for choosing to have a lot of kids?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1436506843|3901197 said:
iLander said:
Or they want us all to be brain dead breeders like that Duggar woman. Have you looked at her eyes? She's dead inside.

I know that's your opinion, but it's pretty harsh and judgmental...even rude. Why is someone braindead for choosing to have a lot of kids?

Yeah, it is all that; rude, harsh, judgemental. I guess I shouldn't have associated brain dead with breeders. I think she is brain dead based solely on her expression, which is a bit vacant, IMHO. If she had 2 kids I would still classify her expression as vacuous. I also think having 19+ kids is hard on the body and not safe. But she's managed to pull it off, so it's her perogative. I did once have a long conversation with a guy who was one of 13 kids, and he hated it, but that's a different thread.

That's all my personal opinion, I own it, and I apologize, I didn't intend to offend you.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1436496000|3901152 said:
Done.

I went to an expensive and exclusive private school and by our senior year @ 65% had terminated a pregnancy. In the comfort and safety of their gynecologist's office or on a quick trip to Europe. No foaming at the mouth sign carriers on their way in or out. Medically safe procedures.

Women of means or from families of means have always had access to safe and private services.

Middle class and poor women? Nope!

Let's not leave our sisters twisting in the wind!!!!

That's just sad, so many. :nono: I'm glad they had access, but I do feel it is sooooo preventable. I wish no one ever had to go through it, but it's a reality and something that needs to be available.

Thank you for supporting the cause for poor women, azstonie, you're awesome. :appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My issue with Michelle Duggar is less about her choice to crank out kids but more about her choice to go to great lenghts to protect her son who molested two or more of her other kids and cover it up, and the damage that caused the household. Not to mention the other kids not within the family. She and her husband are criminals.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think mainstream religion has supported and does support birth-control, they just don't want to pay for it. They are also trying to damage Planned Parenthood who gives abortion advise to all women. They, (whomever) want Planned Parenthood out. No money for them.

I have tried to understand the Hobby Lobby justification for not providing birth control pills. My theory is that they wish to stay out of reproductive rights, in as much as if they agree to the birth control pill, they will by asked or required to provide an abortion pill next.
And perhaps they have a point. Most people aren't in the least opposed to birth-control even if the Catholic Churche opposes it, it doesn't mean Catholics in America and western countries don't use the pills as much as anybody else.

I doubt birth control pills will disappear, but the fight will continue on anything abortion related.

I agree with iLander on the Dugger woman.

Annette

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I taught for a good number of years and I only saw a few large families in all those years. The ones I did see were purely crowd control (or no control, actually) by the parents and the older children 'raised' the younger ones. Its a great way to grow your own cult, its no longer an agrarian management technique to have lots of children to bring in those crops/tend the animals or to balance high infant/toddler mortality rates in rural areas.

Its the hypocrisy of the Duggars that gets to me, their son makes his "living" with some man-woman marriage outfit but what he did and who he is is a bad choice? Uh, no. Not even. The Duggar son is a pedophile who preyed on his sisters (where was your crowd control that day, Michelle Duggar?) because he knew those specific girls were of little value, there wouldn't be any real blowback from the parents. And there wasn't. Pedophiles tend to pick out the kids whose parents are absentee or don't care very much. He stayed within the family because that was the safest place for him to molest children.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As some or all of us may know, Colorado had a huge HUGE success in teen pregnancy with their free birth control program and here's what happened because of it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/07/colorado-iud-long-term-birth-control-success-teen-pregnancy/29818499/

I don't know if I am allowed to post pointers to newspapers, if not, the article says that republican legislators will not fund the free b/c program..

Someone made mention of the wealthy having access to abortion - in 1970 (yes 1970) a dear friend (even today) got pregnant at a state college, her Dad shipped her off to England for an abortion, 3 day stay in London!

In 1923 my great aunt (born in 1903) became pregnant by her boyfriend - she had a 'backstreet abortion' nearly died and became sterile due to the abortion.. She told me this when I was marrying for the first time in 1975, she asked me NOT to tell my mother, her niece because she was afraid my mom would think she was a loose woman, she married her boyfriend and they were married 50 years when she died... (never had kids and tried to adopt but were never able to).

Both of the above influenced my belief that abortion is a woman's right, the procedure should be safe, and available to all women. But if one notices that MANY of the anti-legislators are men.. and their convictions are not my convictions.

No one has walked in my shoes and I walk in no others steps and would never deny another woman CHOICE.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Keep the discussion off religion or the thread will be closed.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1436533757|3901256 said:
My issue with Michelle Duggar is less about her choice to crank out kids but more about her choice to go to great lenghts to protect her son who molested two or more of her other kids and cover it up, and the damage that caused the household. Not to mention the other kids not within the family. She and her husband are criminals.

I could not agree with you more Ame! I also do not feel that a household with that many children could possibly give the children the time and attention they need from their parents. I also find it amazing that Michelle can sit there and judge everyone else when she has all this going on in her family.

ILander, Done! This whole subject makes me sick. What does this political party think is going to happen? So they want to take Birth control away from poor women. They want to make abortions illegal. They certainly don't want to offer financial support to these woman in any way shape or form. If a woman cannot afford birth control there is no way she can afford the expense of raising a child.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tekate|1436547902|3901332 said:
As some or all of us may know, Colorado had a huge HUGE success in teen pregnancy with their free birth control program and here's what happened because of it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/07/colorado-iud-long-term-birth-control-success-teen-pregnancy/29818499/

I don't know if I am allowed to post pointers to newspapers, if not, the article says that republican legislators will not fund the free b/c program..

Someone made mention of the wealthy having access to abortion - in 1970 (yes 1970) a dear friend (even today) got pregnant at a state college, her Dad shipped her off to England for an abortion, 3 day stay in London!

In 1923 my great aunt (born in 1903) became pregnant by her boyfriend - she had a 'backstreet abortion' nearly died and became sterile due to the abortion.. She told me this when I was marrying for the first time in 1975, she asked me NOT to tell my mother, her niece because she was afraid my mom would think she was a loose woman, she married her boyfriend and they were married 50 years when she died... (never had kids and tried to adopt but were never able to).

Both of the above influenced my belief that abortion is a woman's right, the procedure should be safe, and available to all women. But if one notices that MANY of the anti-legislators are men.. and their convictions are not my convictions.

No one has walked in my shoes and I walk in no others steps and would never deny another woman CHOICE.

Excellent post Tekate! The story about your great aunt broke my heart.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1436576165|3901481 said:
I could not agree with you more Ame! I also do not feel that a household with that many children could possibly give the children the time and attention they need from their parents. I also find it amazing that Michelle can sit there and judge everyone else when she has all this going on in her family.

ILander, Done! This whole subject makes me sick. What does this political party think is going to happen? So they want to take Birth control away from poor women. They want to make abortions illegal. They certainly don't want to offer financial support to these woman in any way shape or form. If a woman cannot afford birth control there is no way she can afford the expense of raising a child.

You're the MA'AM Calliecake! Thank you, that's great. :appl: :appl:

There is no logic, it's like they haven't thought it through . . . :nono:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
When discussing rights, I think it is important to also consider the reasons you believe the pre born have no rights or the reasons you think they do.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Anne,

I'll give it a shot. I look at it as if the opposition(no abortion) wants to grant equal rights to an organism within my body. This organism is certainly not my equal. It cannot make decisions nor does it have internal moral attributes at that point in time. We, as women take the responsibility for our own decisions, and for those that oppose, you may do the same.

I do however oppose third tri-mester abortions.

Annette

Ps If you were talking about birth control and not abortion, I apologize, I may have misunderstood.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
AnnaH said:
When discussing rights, I think it is important to also consider the reasons you believe the pre born have no rights or the reasons you think they do.

But that's the beauty of Title X.

It prevents abortions, about 350,000+ per year.

Not renewing it will cause an increase in abortions of 66%.

Not one penny of this money is used to fund abortions. Not. One. Penny.

This thing is about as pro-life as you can get. :appl:

Are you opposed to Title X AnnaH? Why or why not?

:wavey: Please, everyone, keep this discussion limited to Title X. :wavey:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I was speaking to abortion but was not the one who brought it up. Like most who are prolife, I have no issue with birth control. I do value all life, and disagree that a baby is only valuable if the mother wants to carry it to full term.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
H Calliecake, thank you so much.. it all goes down to this for me: Free birth control, free control over my body, the decisions of which I must live with my whole life.

again thank you Callie!

Calliecake|1436576400|3901483 said:
Tekate|1436547902|3901332 said:

Excellent post Tekate! The story about your great aunt broke my heart.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
AnnaH said:
I was speaking to abortion but was not the one who brought it up. Like most who are prolife, I have no issue with birth control. I do value all life, and disagree that a baby is only valuable if the mother wants to carry it to full term.

AnnaH said:

Merriam Webster defines a baby as an extremely young child or infant. I agree babies have rights.

But technically, I do not believe it is a "baby" until it can exist beyond the womb, and as such, I do not believe it has rights. I believe that at 30 weeks gestation, it can exist without it's mother, and could then be considered a baby, with rights.

I certainly do not believe that the embryo's rights supersede those of the mother.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
I am not going to change anyone's mind about abortion here just as you aren't going to change mine.
To the original topic, I think many Americans, regardless of party, are concerned about the out of control government spending. Too many think they can justify spending for their particular priorities. I once thought that but was wrong. Birth control is not that pricey, and I am comfortable with each of us buying his/her own. We don't want to end up like Greece. Everyone should be willing to reduce spending in every area.
Clearly, I'm in the minority among those in discussion here but thought it important to present another view. I'm not offended and hope no one else is.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anna, I'm not going to comment on the bulk of what you said. But, I do want to explain one thing to you.

To a single mom with a kid who works two jobs just to be able to feed her kid even $30 a month for a prescription is the difference between her kid eating real veggies and meat once a week, instead of starving of malnutrition on crap.

And if she has to make that choice, and chooses to feed her existing kid instead of buying the birthcontrol and becomes pregnant, then that kid is either going to be aborted, if she is in a state where she can, it it suits her belief system. Or she is going to have it and have to apply for food stamps and other aid from the government just to be able to feed that kid.

That's a fact.

And that will cost the state MORE in subsidies and aid than if we had paid for the birthcontrol in the first place.

So if your goal is to: discourage abortions AND be fiscally responsible subsidized birth control is the logical choice.

So I really don't think that is your goal.

Most people who use that rhetoric but oppose common sense birthcontrol subsidization either think the poor are lazy and undeserving and resent them for every bit of common sense entitlements we have in place-- so really feel they are subhuman and should just crawl off somewhere and die-- or erroneously believe that even basic birthcontrol is a version of abortion because of some 'implantation' theory.

Either way, regardless of what your 'real' reasons are for your position, if you are going to participate in a thread like this, its best to have the courage of your convictions and just come out with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results