shape
carat
color
clarity

Collecting Pearls for new project

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am collecting Tahitian pearls for an upcoming project, although I am not sure what it is yet. I am thinking of a long rope with mixed sizes and shapes and colors with 2 large drops on the end that I can wrap around, tie or do whatever (Not endless and without a clasp), or maybe just a long rope, or tin cup, or I don't know.

I have only bought a handful of pearls and didn't want to buy them all from the same place.

My usual go to is Pearl Society on ebay, because I have been able to get a bunch of pearls for a really great price, but I was wondering if you guys bought tahitians for projects from anywhere else.

I also bought some from an easy vendor but I haven't gotten them yet, so when I get them I will know if I should buy from them again.
here is my small lot so far.

fullsizerender_1_16.jpg
fullsizerender_46.jpg

Most of them are not drilled, so I may have to ask my jeweler how much to drill them, if it's substantial I might just get a drill for myself.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I want some really intense larger circled Tahitians and a few smaller round ones, and some keshi

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Those look very pretty. Do you string your own pearls?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1428444856|3858194 said:
Those look very pretty. Do you string your own pearls?

I CAN string, although I am not very good at it.

I have strung a few of my older projects.

BBA and Black Spinel Rope
fullsizerender_1_15.jpg

Ro[e with lavender metallic baroque, keshi and oval pearls (very petite, and pyrite beads
fullsizerender_2_6.jpg .

Metallic lavender ovals and red glass seed beads
fullsizerender-10_0.jpg

BBA bar necklace wire wrapped with sterling silver
fullsizerender-6_4.jpg

Silvery white keshi tin cup, with sterling silver
fullsizerender-48.jpg

Mixed medley wire wrapped sterling silver necklaces (these are 2 separate pieces) with a mixture of keshi and baroque pearls and carnelian beads and an ammonite pendant
fullsizerender-44.jpg

those are all my personal projects I did in the past

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I like your idea of a lariat! Very cool.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I bought some pearls from Care Ehret ebay before.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1428502136|3858543 said:

I have bought a bunch of freshwater and the BBA pearls from her, she is great. I haven;t bought any Tahitians because the pictures look a little to good to be true. Do you have any pictures of the [earls. I'd love to see them

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett, you're so talented! I love the strands you put together. Soon you can open your own Etsy store...

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1428502751|3858547 said:

I have bought a bunch of freshwater and the BBA pearls from her, she is great. I haven;t bought any Tahitians because the pictures look a little to good to be true. Do you have any pictures of the [earls. I'd love to see them
It was a long time ago and I don't think I saved the stock photo for comparison purposes, but I can take photos of the actual pearls again. I think Tahitian pearls tend to look more intense in photos so need to account for that as well.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1428506642|3858579 said:
ckrickett|1428502751|3858547 said:

It was a long time ago and I don't think I saved the stock photo for comparison purposes, but I can take photos of the actual pearls again. I think Tahitian pearls tend to look more intense in photos so need to account for that as well.

I was looking recently and she has some really gorgeous new tahitians, so I may pick up a few just to see. I really want some intense circled ones!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are a few places that sell individual pearls or small groups .. they are in that list of sellers.. check the last post by Lisa

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Would you consider buying a strand and taking it apart?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1428602502|3859362 said:
Would you consider buying a strand and taking it apart?

I would.

Actually my longer rope (which was EXTREMELY inexpensive) has 2-3 pearls that are particularly a step above the others. I thought about taking it apart and nabbing those for this project.

I think it would depend on how much the initial strand was.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hello
I found an old photo! I would describe my strand as light peacock.

_28879.jpg

caro40

Shiny_Rock
I bought one or two inexpensive circled strands from tahitianpearl.biz 18 months ago or so and took them apart and used the brightest coloured/least blemished ones for a rope with white freshwater pearls. If you're in the US this could be economical. The colours are the best I've seen in any tahitian pearl across my collection.
For some reason the link to the strand I bought isn't there, but it's on this page - http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace-wholesale.htm.. Mine was the $309 one.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Newer pics, it's lighter in person and I see more pink and green overtones. I would say the pearls are beautiful but not as wildly colourful as per description.

_28910.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Leaf photo. Colours are closer to what I see in real life.

_28914.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Still beautiful, I was looking through their other listings and these caught my eye, thoughts?

tahiti01.jpg

tahiti02.jpg

tahiti04.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1428727281|3860251 said:
Leaf photo. Colours are closer to what I see in real life.
did you string that yourself?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi c!
Yes I did, no knotting involved so it wasn't difficult.
I like those pearls, and Care has lots of small lots of Tahitian pearls on sale at the moment. Just one thing, is it economical to buy parcels of small lots of pearls for your project? Or is it more cost efficient to buy a couple/few of strands or bracelets? Just thinking about this from a financial viewpoint.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
caro40|1428658379|3859711 said:
I bought one or two inexpensive circled strands from tahitianpearl.biz 18 months ago or so and took them apart and used the brightest coloured/least blemished ones for a rope with white freshwater pearls. If you're in the US this could be economical. The colours are the best I've seen in any tahitian pearl across my collection.
For some reason the link to the strand I bought isn't there, but it's on this page - http://www.tahitianpearls.biz/tahitian-pearl-necklace-wholesale.htm... Mine was the $309 one.

That site has a lot of temptations. (I clicked on the 'sale' tab.) One necklace seems to have sold out while I was looking at it. :o

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's far more prudent to buy the right full strand., than dribs and drabs of one or two pearls here and there, which are much less likely to match. Or get x loose pearls all at once. Otherwise there is smaller chance they will match. They have to balance and be in harmony in terms of colour, depth of lustre, size, shape, etc.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to say, in the post with the three photos, I think the bottom photo (six pearls) looks like what you said you wanted. I don't care for the top photo, and the middle photo (five) looks like they are graduated for a tin cup.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Pearlescence said:
It's far more prudent to buy the right full strand., than dribs and drabs of one or two pearls here and there, which are much less likely to match. Or get x loose pearls all at once. Otherwise there is smaller chance they will match. They have to balance and be in harmony in terms of colour, depth of lustre, size, shape, etc.

I agree with this so I am thinking about getting a strand or two or sending the better pearls off and having PP match them to lengthen it. This project doesn't have a due date or major priority so it all depends on other projects and there budgets

ennui said:
Forgot to say, in the post with the three photos, I think the bottom photo (six pearls) looks like what you said you wanted. I don't care for the top photo, and the middle photo (five) looks like they are graduated for a tin cup.

The bottom one is my favorite

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Why not buy two matched loose strands ckrickett and do the selecting yourself? necklace and bracelet? DIY You can do it!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think Wendy has a good idea here. I agree that the cheapest way to buy the pearls is to get them in strands rather than the 2-5 pearl groups that people sell. If you stop to consider the cost per pearl ... when you figure that there might be 34 pearls in a strand of say 8-11mm .. multiply the cost of what you are paying per pearl in the small lots .. times 34 and see what you get. Then price a strand .

You could order a couple of strands and see what matches what you have ... or pick a pearl that represents what you have..mail it in and ask for strands that might match. You can cover most of the length you need through these strands and add in the odd 6 or 8 larger pearls and the scattering of Keshi throughout.

Downside is that while it's cheaper in the long run..you have to fork out more money at once.

Fun project !

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I have been looking for a few strands, and might see what any upcoming sales will have as possible ideas.

I did end up getting a few extra pearls (just to test out a new Etsy vendor) and 2 off ebay from awhile ago.

these are the new pearls
fullsizerender_59.jpg

with the group
fullsizerender_1_18.jpg

The GSS is for a future project

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I am looking at 1-2 strands for the bulk of this, but since I want it to be REALLY LONG (Hoping for at LEAST 54 inches) I got a few extra loose. here are the random ones so far, if any of them don't work with the 2 strand idea I'll probably just turn them into a bracelet or use them for a future project

fullsizerender-77.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Is the idea of buying them from a variety of sellers so that you will have variety?
How about Ehret designs on Ebay? She sells loose pearls sometimes. I have purchased from her twice. Once a pair of blue South Sea earrings. And once a loose strand of freshwater pearls. She does have very nice finished jewelry too.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
There was a cool necklace on the PP clearance page yesterday. It was made of Tahitian pearls in all colors and shapes. Did you see it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results