shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with 1 Carat on JamesAllen

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
you are asking some very good questions Muskater, hopefully some one will come by with more knowledge than me to really be able to guide you to something very special.
Have you run your selections through the HCA?

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca
this helps w/ rejecting stones that may not be good performers.

JA- does do three free ASET images.
I would run the diamonds you have selected through the HCA,make sure the score is <2, pick one more diamond, put the three on hold, request the ASET images and have some pricescopers help with the final selection.

Generally I have read on this this forum that diamonds graded by IGI may be graded w/ less stringency than GIA or AGS. Personally, I would feel more comfortable w/ a GIA or AGS graded stone.

Also you want to look not only at carat weight but at the table, depth crown and pavilion angles

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57% (can go up to 58 )
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.82-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-570800
or
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3157629.htm

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one is waay deep, and will face up a bit small. I would scrap this one.

I like the 2nd one better. You can ask JA if the fluor affects the stone at all.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not recommend the 2nd stone. The crown angle is very shallow and the pavilion angle is too deep. Please use the parameters that 16ocean posted when looking for diamonds for the most complimentary angles.

The first one is unavailable, but I would have said keep looking.

Muskater

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for the info! I really appreciate it! I ran the second diamond through HCA and it scored a 1.9, with very good light return, excellent fire, very good scintillation, and very good spread. As suggested, I have request the ASET image and have asked how the fluorescence affects the diamond. Thanks again for the help!

Muskater

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1436288419|3899920 said:
I would not recommend the 2nd stone. The crown angle is very shallow and the pavilion angle is too deep. Please use the parameters that 16ocean posted when looking for diamonds for the most complimentary angles.

The first one is unavailable, but I would have said keep looking.

Sorry, I did not see this reply when responding. I really like the diamonds that 16ocean posted. I am going to see what I can find 1 carat or bigger with those specs, if possible.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you only have 3 ASET's you can get. I would cancel the ASET request for the 2nd stone and keep looking, unless you're really interested in it.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Muskater|1436289646|3899927 said:
Sorry, I did not see this reply when responding. I really like the diamonds that 16ocean posted. I am going to see what I can find 1 carat or bigger with those specs, if possible.

You can purchase diamonds w/ the above specs but it also depends on your budget.

I linked the one from JA and the one from WF bz the one diamond that had a price was 4,500 and those two were within that range.

If you don't mind sharing your budget perhaps some on this forum could recommend good contenders.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.96-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-563446
crown angle is a little off but it is under 5K and very close to a carat

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.96-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-565575
this one is pretty good.
like the h color, size and price is just a touch over 5k.
if you look on line there may be a way for a discount through JA

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3227660.htm
quite a bit more but a very nice stone

Muskater

Rough_Rock

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That last diamond looks like a nice one. Yes, if you're serious about it, then request the ASET and post. We can help interpret it for you.

Muskater

Rough_Rock
Bummer, the representative I spoke with said they cannot provide an ASET image for this one as it is not located at their local office. I'm assuming I would be gambling by purchasing without that image?

sf1649ers80

Rough_Rock
The proportions are pretty nice on it, but the Idealscope Image would be nice being that it has very good symmetry rather than excellent, but I don't think it would be too much of a gamble. Remember you can always return it within 30 days! Also, a good indication that you can request Idealscopes and have a gemologist inspect it on Jamesallen is if the picture of the diamond has a butterfly in the bottom right corner =)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's not available anymore. Maybe you bought it??

I was going to advise you to put it on hold if you're serious about it.

Muskater

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1436303118|3900065 said:
Well it's not available anymore. Maybe you bought it??

I was going to advise you to put it on hold if you're serious about it.

I did put it on hold. Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking this will likely be the one!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good that you put it on hold, I saw another OP looking for the exact same thing on James Allen :)) .

What setting will you put it in? Please post photos once it's completed!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous….it's going to be stunning. Yes, will be looking out for photos :naughty: .

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
JDDN|1436307617|3900101 said:
Gorgeous….it's going to be stunning. Yes, will be looking out for photos :naughty: .
ditto :appl:
Glad it spoke to you. I think it is a nice balance between cost, cut and carat size. I'm glad they had the H color in for you
Love the setting you chose

Muskater

Rough_Rock
I must say, this diamond was extremely impressive in person. No matter how good the lighting is, this diamond sparkles like crazy! Here are a few pictures:

CDFEBBE9-6DF3-457A-8837-2901D07A9075_zps0nv5t52k.jpg

2A2E8698-84C4-4076-A3C6-1F7F36ABC2A8_zpspmo4laj0.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help with selecting this diamond, I really appreciate it!

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Muskater|1438292256|3909179 said:
I must say, this diamond was extremely impressive in person. No matter how good the lighting is, this diamond sparkles like crazy! !

yea!
It looks great! :dance: Thanks for coming by with hand shots. Wear it in good health

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results