Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1436119715|3899226 said:
I love my father in law...but...

I did not like hearing him say "I'm going to start visiting a lot more often."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:sick:

Has he recently retired, by any chance? It's when the olds retire that all the problems start, in my experience. :D

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1436129212|3899248 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Has he recently retired, by any chance? It's when the olds retire that all the problems start, in my experience. :D

Not recently...but yes, I know what you're saying...all of the sudden there's a lot of time... :errrr:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been meaning to post about this one for a while...

The GoDaddy "Stick It" commercial.

I can't STAND IT.

I have to put it on mute so I don't have to hear it. Sometimes I don't get to the remote on time and I hear that annoying lady saying "stick it!" before I get to shut it off.

There is like so much hate or something in that commercial. Aside from it being totally annoying.

arrggggghhh

I hope they stop running it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the tip of my ceramic knife broke (off) while cutting Rice Krispy squares....couldn't find it, so had to throw the whole pan out! :errrr: :(( :knockout:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1436134252|3899283 said:
the tip of my ceramic knife broke (off) while cutting Rice Krispy squares....couldn't find it, so had to throw the whole pan out! :errrr: :(( :knockout:

Bah- rats. Stinks. Sorry.

I read the above whilst taking a 'pricescope break' from cleaning the remnants of all the eggs my 6yo tried to incubate and hatch in a hidden basket in her room. Okay, that felt good...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose|1436143464|3899322 said:
canuk-gal|1436134252|3899283 said:

Bah- rats. Stinks. Sorry.

I read the above whilst taking a 'pricescope break' from cleaning the remnants of all the eggs my 6yo tried to incubate and hatch in a hidden basket in her room. Okay, that felt good...

That must have stank! Sorry! :bigsmile: Glad the room is clean but of course, "projects" are fun/interesting/experiences! :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1436130700|3899261 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not recently...but yes, I know what you're saying...all of the sudden there's a lot of time... :errrr:

Which they want to spend with YOU! ROFL!! Lucky ole' you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I am sorry to laugh, but it's just that I've more than done my duty in this area and gawd, it was horrendous. I have a crazy half-sister in the area who hinted about spending more time together when she retires, and I can't bear it to such an extent that if this ever becomes reality, I'm going to tell her straight that I just don't want to spend time with her. Life is WAY too short.

But he's your FIL, and you like him, so you're stuck!

ROFL!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1436144683|3899334 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh, I am sorry to laugh, but it's just that I've more than done my duty in this area and gawd, it was horrendous. I have a crazy half-sister in the area who hinted about spending more time together when she retires, and I can't bear it to such an extent that if this ever becomes reality, I'm going to tell her straight that I just don't want to spend time with her. Life is WAY too short.

ROFL!!!

You are having way too much fun with this Jambalaya :lol:

I'm going to get you back one day :Up_to_something:

But seriously for me this is something that actually causes my soul to hurt haha I really don't like visitors...so as much as I like him, if he thinks he's coming here for weeks at a time to visit...well...I will try to negotiate the time down with DH. Somewhere more than I would like (which is at most 3-4 days :/) and what they want :errrr:

Are you like this too, or are you more tolerant with visitors?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
CJ2008|1436131538|3899266 said:

I can't STAND IT.

I have to put it on mute so I don't have to hear it. Sometimes I don't get to the remote on time and I hear that annoying lady saying "stick it!" before I get to shut it off.

There is like so much hate or something in that commercial. Aside from it being totally annoying.

arrggggghhh

Oh +1000000000 on that. And the commercial with the dog barking "Book, book, book."

So I'm picking up a few things at Ulta today and as usual, there's a ton of help wandering around the store, but only two at the registers and the line is growing. This woman checking out has PITA written all over her. Wants to argue about the price of everything. Finally gets her total, which is over $250 and this is when she finally starts digging out her wallet. Really?!? Did you think they were just going to give you the stuff?? She was still there when I left because NONE of the cards in said wallet would go through.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1436156832|3899386 said:
CJ2008|1436131538|3899266 said:

I can't STAND IT.

arrggggghhh

Oh +1000000000 on that. And the commercial with the dog barking "Book, book, book."

OMG yes! That one too! It's so annoying I can't even enjoy the cute dog.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1436156832|3899386 said:
So I'm picking up a few things at Ulta today and as usual, there's a ton of help wandering around the store, but only two at the registers and the line is growing. This woman checking out has PITA written all over her. Wants to argue about the price of everything. Finally gets her total, which is over $250 and this is when she finally starts digging out her wallet. Really?!? Did you think they were just going to give you the stuff?? She was still there when I left because NONE of the cards in said wallet would go through.

Oh man last night when I was at the grocery store they only had self-checkout open, and the guy at the one next to me was throwing an epic fit about having to show his ID to buy a lighter. There was more yelling than I have ever seen in a grocery store before. Everyone looked pretty shell-shocked. After a high-volume, obscenity-laden rant, which included a lot of appeals to fellow customers for backup on this issue (no, sir, I'm just buying some sandwich supplies, please leave me out of this), he threw all his purchases down and stormed out. Good times.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1436146007|3899341 said:
Jambalaya|1436144683|3899334 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ROFL!!!

You are having way too much fun with this Jambalaya :lol:

I'm going to get you back one day :Up_to_something:

But seriously for me this is something that actually causes my soul to hurt haha I really don't like visitors...so as much as I like him, if he thinks he's coming here for weeks at a time to visit...well...I will try to negotiate the time down with DH. Somewhere more than I would like (which is at most 3-4 days :/) and what they want :errrr:

Are you like this too, or are you more tolerant with visitors?

Jambalaya and CJ2008, Your comments made me laugh. My FIL said the same thing when he retired. He has sinced passed away but my husband and I would do anything to be able to spend time with him. Enjoy him while you can. Believe me, you will wish you had this time when he's gone. Now if it was my MIL making the comments I would have made the comments CJ2008 thought about making to her sister!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am now president of my condo association. We are about to engage in a very expensive ($300,000ish) roof replacement project and as a part of that the association (mostly me and the property manager) has gone out of our way to provide convenient options for unit owners for the demo of their roof decks and the rebuilding of new decks. These decks are not in any way an association responsibility, we were just trying to give options for people who didn't want to go through the process themselves. One owner is now threatening legal action, including getting an injunction to stop the project, because she doesn't feel adequate diligence has been done on the options (did I mention those things are not association responsibility, we were just trying to make things easy on people?!?). So to repay going out of our way for the benefit of the top floor unit owners with decks we (as an association and possibly individually) maybe be the subject of legal action. Super...

ETA: There's also a possibility the bank that was going to offer financing so that unit owners could pay their special assessment over time will find us too great a litigation risk and everyone will have to pay in one lump sum up front, with amounts ranging from about $8,000 to $12,000. Again, we as an association don't have to explore financing options, we were just trying to make things easier on the unit owners. Argh.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1436201041|3899513 said:
I am now president of my condo association. We are about to engage in a very expensive ($300,000ish) roof replacement project and as a part of that the association (mostly me and the property manager) has gone out of our way to provide convenient options for unit owners for the demo of their roof decks and the rebuilding of new decks. These decks are not in any way an association responsibility, we were just trying to give options for people who didn't want to go through the process themselves. One owner is now threatening legal action, including getting an injunction to stop the project, because she doesn't feel adequate diligence has been done on the options (did I mention those things are not association responsibility, we were just trying to make things easy on people?!?). So to repay going out of our way for the benefit of the top floor unit owners with decks we (as an association and possibly individually) maybe be the subject of legal action. Super...

ETA: There's also a possibility the bank that was going to offer financing so that unit owners could pay their special assessment over time will find us too great a litigation risk and everyone will have to pay in one lump sum up front, with amounts ranging from about $8,000 to $12,000. Again, we as an association don't have to explore financing options, we were just trying to make things easier on the unit owners. Argh.

Oh DeeJay I have felt your pain! My husband was President of our home owners association for a few years and I was also on a committee. The builder left quickly and dropped everything in the owners lap so we thought we were doing the right things for the neighborhood. It's the most thankless job in the whole world. Please get extra insurance. We had a million dollar lawsuit against us by a builder who decided to to sue four board members for a million dollars each. I had to give a deposition because it was regarding the committee I was on. The man out and out lied many times about so many things. I was scared to death to give my deposition but after hearing it both his lawyers realized the man was lying and dropped the suit. Our lawyer said his lawyers told them that they knew the case was over after speaking with me. You try to do the best thing for everyone, you don't get paid for any of it, it takes a lot of your time and people kick you in the head. Please make sure you are covered by insurance.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1436202424|3899523 said:

Oh DeeJay I have felt your pain! My husband was President of our home owners association for a few years and I was also on a committee. The builder left quickly and dropped everything in the owners lap so we thought we were doing the right things for the neighborhood. It's the most thankless job in the whole world. Please get extra insurance. We had a million dollar lawsuit against us by a builder who decided to to sue four board members for a million dollars each. I had to give a deposition because it was regarding the committee I was on. The man out and out lied many times about so many things. I was scared to death to give my deposition but after hearing it both his lawyers realized the man was lying and dropped the suit. Our lawyer said his lawyers told them that they knew the case was over after speaking with me. You try to do the best thing for everyone, you don't get paid for any of it, it takes a lot of your time and people kick you in the head. Please make sure you are covered by insurance.

Callie, my blood pressure was so high when I got the last email from this person that I swear I had tunnel vision. I can't imagine what the hell I was thinking taking this role on... I've been the president of another (much smaller) association before, and the treasurer of a large (100+ unit) historic building right on the Chicago river, but nothing prepared me for the wack jobs in my current complex. They have been truly raised by wolves. And many of many other neighbors warned me, but now I get to see it for myself.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1436202826|3899526 said:

Callie, my blood pressure was so high when I got the last email from this person that I swear I had tunnel vision. I can't imagine what the hell I was thinking taking this role on... I've been the president of another (much smaller) association before, and the treasurer of a large (100+ unit) historic building right on the Chicago river, but nothing prepared me for the wack jobs in my current complex. They have been truly raised by wolves. And many of many other neighbors warned me, but now I get to see it for myself.

I know DeeJay, it is not fun. Have a glass of wine and breathe. Okay now have another glass of wine! The day my husband called and said their was a million dollar lawsuit on him and I had to give a deposition I thought I was going to cry. I was a nervous wreck the day before the deposition. My boss talked to me the day before and told me to just go in there and be myself. I was floored when we went to lunch with our lawyer afterward. I had no idea what the lawyers were thinking after I answered their questions. Our lawyer looked at my husband and said they will call within an hour to say they are dropping the case. He said there isn't a jury out there that would have sided with this guy after hearing me answer the questions. Within in fifteen minutes they called and said the suit was dropped. The part that killed me was here you are trying to do what is best for everyone and you end up getting screwed. We were lucky and never had any problems with the homeowners. It only takes a couple nut jobs to make you really wonder why you even bothered. I have to admit your particular group of homeowners just seems like jerks. With that said reasoning with them will probably continue to be challenging to say the least. Is there a way you can back out of this?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1436215899|3899600 said:
Dee*Jay|1436202826|3899526 said:

I know DeeJay, it is not fun. Have a glass of wine and breathe. Okay now have another glass of wine! The day my husband called and said their was a million dollar lawsuit on him and I had to give a deposition I thought I was going to cry. I was a nervous wreck the day before the deposition. My boss talked to me the day before and told me to just go in there and be myself. I was floored when we went to lunch with our lawyer afterward. I had no idea what the lawyers were thinking after I answered their questions. Our lawyer looked at my husband and said they will call within an hour to say they are dropping the case. He said there isn't a jury out there that would have sided with this guy after hearing me answer the questions. Within in fifteen minutes they called and said the suit was dropped. The part that killed me was here you are trying to do what is best for everyone and you end up getting screwed. We were lucky and never had any problems with the homeowners. It only takes a couple nut jobs to make you really wonder why you even bothered. I have to admit your particular group of homeowners just seems like jerks. With that said reasoning with them will probably continue to be challenging to say the least. Is there a way you can back out of this?

Don't think the thought of bailing on this whole thing hasn't crossed my mind -- HA! Seriously though, I don't think I could even bring myself to put this on someone else. It's a mess on a whole lotta fronts but at least I've got the construction knowledge, the legal background and the backbone to deal with it reasonably well. It will take MUCH convincing to get me to run for the board again when this is all over and my term is up...

And what a great witness you are! Would you like to come and be deposed on my behalf? I might need all the help I can get before this is over!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot BELIEVE I have lost my best friend of 30+ years because.....I support gay marriage.

She has always been extremely religious and in the past we have agreed to disagree on some matters. But since the SC ruling two weeks ago she has gone ape-shit and denounced me for my support of their ruling. "God is very angry about it...just wait until he shows his wrath". I replied that the Jesus I am familiar with wants us to love EVERYONE and she sad "Well then you DON'T KNOW JESUS, do you?"

Then she said she had to re-think our relationship! 30 freakin years of love and support and fun and now this? I'm flummoxed. And pissed. And a bit in shock.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay, Your comment made me laugh. Our lawyer asked me the same question. He said he knew it was over for the other guy after the first couple minutes. He said he could not have asked for a better client deposition wise. After the lawyers had talked to me the other guys lawyer kept telling me to not take the lawsuit personally. The guy who was suing us had told them how much he liked me as a person. Seriously, you are suing us for a million dollars and I'm not supposed to not take it personally. My lawyer had met the other guy and said he came across as an arrogant ass. If the case had gone to court it all would have come down to who was the most credible witness. The guy lied about everything and would have easily been caught in his lies.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1436217955|3899614 said:
I cannot BELIEVE I have lost my best friend of 30+ years because.....I support gay marriage.

She has always been extremely religious and in the past we have agreed to disagree on some matters. But since the SC ruling two weeks ago she has gone ape-shit and denounced me for my support of their ruling. "God is very angry about it...just wait until he shows his wrath". I replied that the Jesus I am familiar with wants us to love EVERYONE and she sad "Well then you DON'T KNOW JESUS, do you?"

Then she said she had to re-think our relationship! 30 freakin years of love and support and fun and now this? I'm flummoxed. And pissed. And a bit in shock.

Amber St. Clare, I'm so sorry. It does seem really crazy that she would end a thirty year relationship over this. I have avoided talking to my brother because I'm afraid he will react the same way. Which to me is really crazy since he hasn't set foot in a church for thirty years! Hopefully she will come to her senses. For what it's worth I completely understand how you feel and fully support your stand! I'm very familiar with your Jesus.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
My dad passed away a few years ago and left my mom in a bad financial situation. We moved her up by us and got her all set up with a house and budget she could manage. There wasn't a lot of extra money so she is cleaning houses at 73 years old and we are paying her cell phone bill. This is the background for you.

Couple weeks ago my mom went to visit my brother and next thing I know they have her set up with a Facebook page and bought her a tablet. Now not only can she not afford an Internet plan but she is really not good with gadgets and this is just going to end up with more work for my Dh who does so much for her already. If they weren't so lazy and just would send her pictures of their kid now and again instead of trying to get her on Facebook I would really appreciate it.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Calliecake|1436219176|3899623 said:

She has always been extremely religious and in the past we have agreed to disagree on some matters. But since the SC ruling two weeks ago she has gone ape-shit and denounced me for my support of their ruling. "God is very angry about it...just wait until he

shows his wrath". I replied that the Jesus I am familiar with wants us to love EVERYONE and she sad "Well then you DON'T KNOW JESUS, do you?"

Amber St. Clare, I'm so sorry. It does seem really crazy that she would end a thirty year relationship over this. I have avoided talking to my brother because I'm afraid he will react the same way. Which to me is really crazy since he hasn't set foot in a church for thirty years! Hopefully she will come to her senses. For what it's worth I completely understand how you feel and fully support your stand! I'm very familiar with your Jesus.

Thank you for your kind words. The really ironic thing is--she has a sister who had lived with the same woman for 20 years and they recently bought a house together. Of course, they are just "roommates" if you ask my X friend and she would get beyond offended if you intimate anything else. The husband said I am better off without her, but really--30 years and it ends with THIS?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Rena7|1436219458|3899627 said:
My dad passed away a few years ago and left my mom in a bad financial situation. We moved her up by us and got her all set up with a house and budget she could manage. There wasn't a lot of extra money so she is cleaning houses at 73 years old and we are paying her cell phone bill. This is the background for you.

Couple weeks ago my mom went to visit my brother and next thing I know they have her set up with a Facebook page and bought her a tablet. Now not only can she not afford an Internet plan but she is really not good with gadgets and this is just going to end up with more work for my Dh who does so much for her already. If they weren't so lazy and just would send her pictures of their kid now and again instead of trying to get her on Facebook I would really appreciate it.

Oh boy, this sounds sorta familiar. My MIL is a widow, but she's financially beyond comfortable. We live three blocks from her, so her day to day problems fall on us {and am NOT complaining, she has been a lifesaver to me many times}. Anyway, my younger BIL decided a computer would be a GREAT gift for her. Never mid the fact she has no internet, has NEVER actually seen a computer and would spend the day calling us to come over and help her out because, frankly at 85 I can't see her adapting to the modern world. The husband had to quite forcibly tell the BIL not to give such a useless and potentially aggravating gift. As you said, mail some pictures --the USPS I still working!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grrrrr!!!!
Bread smooshed by raw meat because the guy bagging got flustered that I wanted the meat alone.... :wall:

Also heard back on my application for bank teller. They sent a standard form rejection email. Not even an interview.
I have over 6 years working with financial accounts,and I don't even get an interview!?!

Oh well. Better things waiting.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pirate rage time now...

I dropped my boat into a new marine mechanic 3 weeks ago for a service, something I thought would only take a few days, I went with a new guy as I had a few friends recommend him to me and it should have only been gone for a few days. The day after I dropped it off and the day after that I was getting calls stating 'I need to order parts' etc etc. Slightly frustrating as it was going to delay my pick up but it's something I understand needs to be done sometimes as not all marine mechanics carry all parts for all motor brands and types.

So 3 weeks have gone by and I just got a call from the guy with the bill for my boat's motor service. I was shocked to hear that the reason it took so long was that a few areas were repaired with fibreglass matting and a bunch of other work was done that the marine mechanic decided to do without consulting me first. What should have been a routine trip to a marine mechanic for a $500 service has now turned into a bill of over $2500 of unauthorized works. At this point the marine guy is not wishing to release my boat until full payment has been made, saying the boat needed the work in order to be seaworthy (never knew my internal storage compartments affected my seaworthiness).

And to top it all off my boat has been parked on the grass out the front of his shop without any kind of lock on it to protect it. To say I am raging right now would be a severe understatement...

I shall be getting my boat back tonight with the assistance of a couple friends, I am contemplating whether or not I should leave his $500 in an envelope under his door as the reality is that he will not know where the boat has gone when comes in the next morning, he will just know it's gone. I've got a papertrail that shows I asked for the service ONLY as well as messages between us stating he had done extra work and me saying it was not OK as he hadn't asked for approval. The guy is only 20 years old and despite being well-known for his expertise with outboard motors and ability to fix nearly anything, he obviously has a LONG way to go when it comes to being an ethical businessman.

I'll report back tomorrow with an update on how 'Operation: Boat Retrieval' pans out guys. This may get ugly but I want my freakin' boat back!!!!! :angryfire:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1436220191|3899636 said:
Calliecake|1436219176|3899623 said:

She has always been extremely religious and in the past we have agreed to disagree on some matters. But since the SC ruling two weeks ago she has gone ape-shit and denounced me for my support of their ruling. "God is very angry about it...just wait until he

shows his wrath". I replied that the Jesus I am familiar with wants us to love EVERYONE and she sad "Well then you DON'T KNOW JESUS, do you?"

Thank you for your kind words. The really ironic thing is--she has a sister who had lived with the same woman for 20 years and they recently bought a house together. Of course, they are just "roommates" if you ask my X friend and she would get beyond offended if you intimate anything else. The husband said I am better off without her, but really--30 years and it ends with THIS?

Amber St. Clare, Hopefully after a day or two she will come to her senses and realize how foolish she is acting. I can certainly understand you feeling hurt by this. It has to have occurred to her at some point in the past twenty years that her sister is probably gay.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I got a job this week, my first salary based job, at a very prestigious construction company in FL. Well, apparently a friend's relative was also being considered. Tonight, my supposed friend had the audacity to suggest that I should take a part time job she knew about that paid "cash" underhand, landing me in a lower tax bracket. Excuse me, what?? She did this after removing a congratulatory comment on my status about my first day at my job because she found out that I'd gotten the job over the relative. When I refused the suggestion, she pushed it further "but it's such and such a week!" and I denied again. So then she tells me how she found out about the relative and the person had quit their job and was so upset.

So much for good friends. :angryfire: :angryfire:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1436321620|3900179 said:
I got a job this week, my first salary based job, at a very prestigious construction company in FL. Well, apparently a friend's relative was also being considered. Tonight, my supposed friend had the audacity to suggest that I should take a part time job she knew about that paid "cash" underhand, landing me in a lower tax bracket. Excuse me, what?? She did this after removing a congratulatory comment on my status about my first day at my job because she found out that I'd gotten the job over the relative. When I refused the suggestion, she pushed it further "but it's such and such a week!" and I denied again. So then she tells me how she found out about the relative and the person had quit their job and was so upset.

Um... :-o :nono: :nono:

The best woman got the job. Period.
Even if you quit she still probably wouldn't get the job.

Shame on your friend for suggesting such a thing.

Oh.... And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1436321620|3900179 said:

So her relative made the silly decision of quitting her job before getting another offer. Not your problem.

I'm sorry that you had to sit through that conversation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results