shape
carat
color
clarity

Internal graining in VVS2

diamondbuyer15

Rough_Rock
I ordered a diamond online from a reputable company: HCA 1, GIA XXX, .74ct with a clarity grade of VVS2. The inclusions on the GIA report are "Cloud, pinpoint,internal graining". I felt safe buying a VVS2 so didn't think too much about the inclusions, but I've done further reading since I ordered the diamond and I gather that the internal graining might be a problem even in a VVS2? I've asked for a gemologist to assess the diamond when it arrives at the company for setting, but I am wondering if it is the sort of inclusion that may be difficult to quantify, unlike a crystal or feather that you can either see or not see.

Any thoughts on whether this would be a safe purchase if the gemologist says it is ok, or should I look for a diamond without any graining just to be sure the light performance isn't affected? I have no chance of seeing any diamond I purchase in real life, I am dependent on the GIA certificate and the opinion of the company gemologist, and because of where I live returning a not so great diamond is going to be very difficult so I am keen to get it right at this stage. I've searched the inventories of all the major diamond retailers, and this diamond was very well priced for what it was, there is nothing comparable on the market at the moment.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Being that it's rated VVS2 I doubt the graining is that bad even if it's the inclusion responsible for the VVS2 grade. There's various scopes that measure light performance so it may be worth picking one up to see what effects the graining has if any. Or perhaps the appraiser has one and will inform you.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
That's a very clear diamond pic. I don't see the internal graining bw 7-8:00. You may be able to see it, though, since you know where it is on the mapping. If you shrank this pic down to real life size (say 6mm?) on your monitor, would you still be able to see it? I do believe there's such a thing as mind-clean though so it may always bother you - but if I saw it on a finger, I would simply think it's beautiful!! My thoughts are you'll be totally happy with it once you see it IRL.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness that's a gorgeous diamond - may I ask what the color grade is? As for the graining, based on that picture it's hard to believe it'll have any effect at all, but you'll be able to verify that when you get it in hand.

diamondbuyer15

Rough_Rock
It's a J color diamond and it is going to be set in yellow gold. I'm glad the photograph looks promising to the experienced eyes here and I hope I get a good report from the gemologist, I'll come back in a few days and let you know what the verdict is!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Impossible to see graining effects from Internet photography

diamondbuyer15

Rough_Rock
I see you're in trade Rhino, could you tell me what your experience is with VVS2 diamonds that have internal graining? Does it make any difference that graining is the last on the list of inclusions on the GIA certificate and so maybe not the main inclusion?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be very rare that internal graining would ever be an issue with a VVS2 stone. If we are being honest the actual tint or undertone of the J (which can be yellow, brown, grey, pink, even greenish, or a combination of these) will probably be more of an issue visually (ie something you can actually see) than the graining in this stone will ever be.

Is there any reason you need a VVS2?

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Any stone with saturation equivalent to that of J with body tint of any color other than yellow, brown or grey will receive a fancy color grading. However there can be 'mix tinges' in the body. Like pinkish brown, greenish yellow etc which will continue to receive grades in the Cape series.
For stones other than yellow at K and below will have the certificate mention the body tint.

On graining - at VVS2 - difficult to tell, and should not be a problem. And graining doesn't get plotted either. At 0.74ct, the most common requested certificate type is a Dossier. Nothing gets plotted on a Dossier.

diamondbuyer15

Rough_Rock
I was looking for a J with a clarity grade of VS1, and this stone turned up in my search and had great numbers and was in my price range. The recipient of the diamond likes mind clean diamonds so clarity was an important consideration.

I have heard back from the company, and the gemologist said that the graining was tiny and could only be found at 40x magnification and had no effect on transparency. I decided to stick with the diamond, but still feel uneasy that the diamond may be dull in some way. Any thoughts? I don't think I really understand the whole graining thing. I have read online that all diamonds have graining, but yet it does seem to be one of those inclusions that many people will avoid if it is mentioned on the certificate.

diamondbuyer15

Rough_Rock
The diamond arrived and it is absolutely beautiful, very sparkly and no sign of dullness or cloudiness. Internal graining was not the grademaker for this diamond which was probably important, and the gemologist's opinion was that it was a tiny amount and of no consequence was accurate. While I was waiting for the diamond to arrive I spent some time looking at photos and videos of VVS diamonds with internal graining on a major diamond retail site, mostly I couldn't see the graining or any effects at all, but I did see one diamond that had several noticeable lines of graining under the table that you could see in the video was reflecting all through the diamond, and I guess it is diamonds like that you would want to avoid. Internal graining was the only inclusion in that particular diamond. So I would say internal graining is just like any other inclusion, the effect on the diamond depends on the nature, size and position of it, it's not a deal breaker on an otherwise perfect stone, and if it is on the certificate and you want peace of mind get the diamond checked out by a gemologist.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results