shape
carat
color
clarity

Your honest opinion on this little princess diamond?

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Hi diamond experts,

I recently came across this little princess diamond online without very much thought, promptly bought it! I thought the price was very fair and I have plans on possibly using it in 3 stone princess cut ring which I think would make a great little right hand ring. Something not too flashy that I would be able to wear in the office.

Unfortunately, I dont know a great deal about princess cut diamonds and as you can't really buy fancies just by the numbers or looking at certs - do you think this diamond could end up being a stinker? Is there anything on this GIA cert that would raise a red flag for you? I do not have sky high expectations for it, but for the low price I paid, I am hoping it will make a nice centre stone for my next RHR project. I haven't seen it yet, but hope its sparkly!

Anyway, here are the diamond details given in description - GIA cert:

SQUARE MODIFIED BRILLIANT

Measurements 4.22 x 4.13 x 3.03 mm
Carat Weight 0.46 carat
Color Grade E
Clarity Grade SI1
PROPORTIONS

Depth 73.4 %
Table 73 %
Girdle Very Thin to Medium
Culet None

Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
FLUORESCENCE

Fluorescence None
CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS

Clarity Characteristics Crystal, Cavity

princess_cut_diamond_0.jpg

gia_19.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I haven't yet learned to read the ratios on a GIA cert in order to judge a stone, however as a novice, I'd imagine that if the stone was sent to GIA at all, it's a very good sign! There are so many dull princess cuts out there and this one looks so pretty. Nice choice - good luck with it!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
You can't tell much of anything based on just table and depth proportions. And just because it's a GIA cert stone doesn't mean it's well cut either. You can do on James Allen and see there's GIA certified stones that are stinkers.

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Anyone else think I may have a stinker on my hands? (Or not!)

solgen, I definitely don't think it's well cut just because it has a GIA cert, but I'm really hoping it's OK. If it's sparkly then I really got a good deal.

Is there anything on cert or pics that would give me hope?

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Have you compared it to the AGA cut grading chart for princess cuts? (under the knowledge tab above) That's where I would start.

And does it have a decent return policy? If so, I wouldn't worry. Just wait until you get it in hand, observe it under many different lighting conditions and see what you think.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wait until you have the diamond in hand. The picture posted shows an unflattering centre.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
solgen|1436205542|3899541 said:
You can't tell much of anything based on just table and depth proportions. And just because it's a GIA cert stone doesn't mean it's well cut either. You can do on James Allen and see there's GIA certified stones that are stinkers.

I stand corrected; thank you! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results