shape
carat
color
clarity

Are we asking the impossible?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not feel I am uninformed. I know about cut is king, but a diamond is three dimensional and sparkly from the top with a grey body color in artificial light especially noticeable in large diamonds, even from the top view - not my cup of tea. When I joined this forum people were finding it difficult on a $6000 budget to get a 1 carat diamond. A 1 carat G VS2 looks better and everyone believed it, then 1 or 2 people bucked the trend and went to J color to get bigger although the experts here, who were people in appraiser positions, said no lower than I. Then everyone wanted a1.50 carat, then 2 carat, the old cut. Changing times I know, but it is devaluing diamonds in a way, a 2 carat G VS2 was something to aspire to get but now not needed looks the same get a J SI2 for $8000, instead of a G VS2 for $30000, it looks the same....but it doesn't from top and side views.

Mind clean is one view, cut is king is one view, but rarity and precious is a third view you seem to be uninformed about. It is what a great diamond is, Liz Taylor or celebrity status. Now I can't get a $500000 D Flawless 15 carat, so what makes people think a 2 carat diamond for $8000 is in their reach and is as good a diamond, looks the same. Difficult to put this in words, I am not trying to be superior it is just this cut thing is not more important to what jewellers promote in a whiter G diamond WITH an ideal cut, you will see the difference if you have them side by side for long enough.

Does it not devalue the appeal of diamond if a 2 carat is now $8000 why not go for an $8000 rare aquamarine it will be rarer and more unique. I think diamond have lost their special thing. They are big sparkly don't cost much in lower color and clarity so what is the appeal, just their hardness? They don't cloud like those other fakes do. Sparkle can be achieved with rhinestones, blue topaz has high reflective index.

I don't think I am uninformed, but do think the way diamonds are being promoted here is selling off the lower qualities and unless the rich are keeping the higher qualities in the market, diamonds are going to be no more sought after than semi precious stones because the precious bit jewellers are selling is being rubbished by those who are 'informed they think!' and helping dealers sell for free as their hobby and to help people get an affordable diamond. Diamonds being unaffordable is a large part of their attraction and mistique.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking about it gem quality diamonds are d to f, if to vvs2, ideal, excellent cut, so I suppose we are all buying semi precious diamonds anyway at the end of the day. Diamonds really are for the Liz Taylors.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny aerial44 if I am new here as I have been here four years longer than you have. I do not have an IF stone it is VS1 so not gem quality by gemologist standards.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe it's time to leave the bickering to other threads and leave this one to what the OP intended.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
These ppl on Ebay have a very good reputation and sell a lot of antique stones. This is the largest stone I have seen and under budget.
It is the old more rounded cornered cushion but might be worth taking a look at in person. In a solitaire with fish tail prongs it can square off the corners. 1.83 J VS1 7.64 x 7.3 They also have a good 14 day return policy.

Also I've seen PSrs post about this vendor in the positive as being pretty accurate as far as color and clarity:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-83ct-ANTIQUE-J-VS1-OLD-EURO-MINE-CUSHION-CUT-DIAMOND-LOOSE-ART-DECO-VINTAGE-2-/400950797818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5a87a5fa

I'm loving it now that I've seen the video...very pretty cushion IMO and love the kozibe effect too:

https://youtu.be/ryNYoRnz928

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid|1436141899|3899313 said:
I do not feel I am uninformed. I know about cut is king, but a diamond is three dimensional and sparkly from the top with a grey body color in artificial light especially noticeable in large diamonds, even from the top view - not my cup of tea. When I joined this forum people were finding it difficult on a $6000 budget to get a 1 carat diamond. A 1 carat G VS2 looks better and everyone believed it, then 1 or 2 people bucked the trend and went to J color to get bigger although the experts here, who were people in appraiser positions, said no lower than I. Then everyone wanted a1.50 carat, then 2 carat, the old cut. Changing times I know, but it is devaluing diamonds in a way, a 2 carat G VS2 was something to aspire to get but now not needed looks the same get a J SI2 for $8000, instead of a G VS2 for $30000, it looks the same....but it doesn't from top and side views.

Mind clean is one view, cut is king is one view, but rarity and precious is a third view you seem to be uninformed about. It is what a great diamond is, Liz Taylor or celebrity status. Now I can't get a $500000 D Flawless 15 carat, so what makes people think a 2 carat diamond for $8000 is in their reach and is as good a diamond, looks the same. Difficult to put this in words, I am not trying to be superior it is just this cut thing is not more important to what jewellers promote in a whiter G diamond WITH an ideal cut, you will see the difference if you have them side by side for long enough.

Does it not devalue the appeal of diamond if a 2 carat is now $8000 why not go for an $8000 rare aquamarine it will be rarer and more unique. I think diamond have lost their special thing. They are big sparkly don't cost much in lower color and clarity so what is the appeal, just their hardness? They don't cloud like those other fakes do. Sparkle can be achieved with rhinestones, blue topaz has high reflective index.

I don't think I am uninformed, but do think the way diamonds are being promoted here is selling off the lower qualities and unless the rich are keeping the higher qualities in the market, diamonds are going to be no more sought after than semi precious stones because the precious bit jewellers are selling is being rubbished by those who are 'informed they think!' and helping dealers sell for free as their hobby and to help people get an affordable diamond. Diamonds being unaffordable is a large part of their attraction and mistique.

Diamonds will be sought after thanks to marketing. I used to think you need VVS2 and F was as low as you could go. And cut, well that didn't matter that much. After being here for a short while things have changed. People are always looking for the best bang for the buck, that's why you see HoF or Tiffany usually derided here. And most consumers only care about carat/size. I can't tell you the number of friends and coworkers who gush over their stone being 1.5 or 2cts yet it's some garbage diamond I2 or I3, J color stone and lacks any cert. If you wanted rarity and to prop up the quality then we should only insist on FL/IF, D/E, super ideal cut diamonds. The reality is we want it all and have to make compromises. So color and clarity often get sacrificed to move up in carat.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
Just letting you all know we are reading your links and checking out your suggestions and you've all been really helpful.

It's interesting to hear the debate about colour/clarity as there's one diamond we are looking at that was suggested on this thread which we love but we've seen a smaller ct size but higher colour and clarity and it sparkles like crazy and is really 'pillowy' if you know what I mean. It still comes up just a little over 7mm and I love the sparkle so much I'm thinking it's worth dropping a tiny bit on face up size compared to the less clarity j coloured stone linked on this thread. So you can see your comments are all very relevant and I'm so glad for your help.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a well-cut 2.7 J MRB, and I've compared it side by side to a G of almost identical size and proportions. The G looked brighter, whiter, and bigger in almost all lighting conditions - one would have to be particularly colour-insensitive to fail to see the difference. A G is a G and a J is a J, and cut quality doesn't change that.

That said, there is a very important distinction between seeing a difference and opining on that difference, and that's what I think is missing in this post. Some people genuinely like the lower colours and genuinely don't feel that they've "settled" by choosing a lower colour to pursue other priorities. Some people do "settle", but have no regrets about doing so, no secret long-lived desire to upgrade colour... Because other priorities will always take precedence.

I think Niel said it best - it's personal! To suggest that preciousness is irrelevant, or not a valid metric of quality if that's what's important to you, as others have in this thread, strikes me as just as elitist as the Cut Is King philosophy that promotes super duper ideals and nothing else. And to suggest that colour and clarity have no impact on appearance ("beauty") is, in my opinion, a very blinkered view.

The appeal is their appearance, and the fact that whilst they don't conform to your priorities, they meet others' perfectly well. Topaz has a very low RI... And is dichroic to boot.

I don't think I am uninformed, but do think the way diamonds are being promoted here is selling off the lower qualities and unless the rich are keeping the higher qualities in the market, diamonds are going to be no more sought after than semi precious stones because the precious bit jewellers are selling is being rubbished by those who are 'informed they think!' and helping dealers sell for free as their hobby and to help people get an affordable diamond. Diamonds being unaffordable is a large part of their attraction and mistique
There's no doubt that you're right about that last. I think that's why so many PSers prefer colored stones - genuine rarity and value (or lack thereof) that is in no way influenced by massive marketing efforts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1436143930|3899329 said:
I think maybe it's time to leave the bickering to other threads and leave this one to what the OP intended.
Yeah, you're right. I'll leave my post at that, I think, and spare this thread the remainder of the monologue.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't want to take away from the OP's post, but I am curious as to your thoughts on the devalue of diamonds based on the perceived popularity of lower specs. Can you start a new thread? How does the "value" of a D-IF stone change if someone would prefer to spend their $8000 on a J SI2?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1436193190|3899466 said:

Does it not devalue the appeal of diamond if a 2 carat is now $8000 why not go for an u$8000 rare aquamarine it will be rarer and more unique. I think diamond have lost their special thing. They are big sparkly don't cost much in lower color and clarity so what is the appeal, just their hardness? They don't cloud like those other fakes do. Sparkle can be ac byhieved with rhinestones, blue topaz has high reflective index.

I don't want to take away from the OP's post, but I am curious as to your thoughts on the devalue of diamonds based on the perceived popularity of lower specs. Can you start a new thread? How does the "value" of a D-IF stone change if someone would prefer to spend their $8000 on a J SI2?

I just feel there is no balance of the 4 C's which was what the previous diamond board on the darkside and most jewellers promote. Try to get as high as you can and let the carat size sort itself out on the buyer's budget. Maybe I am just conditioned as I am in no way elite about things in life. I feel diamonds are going to be seen as large low quality instead of smaller better quality. I suppose this is excluding the outside world though which is far larger with more jewellers recommending a balance of the 4 cs, so it doesn't really matter. If you look at show me the ring going back 10 years diamonds looked white and not so grey. Well I see that. Old cuts look different in lower colours as they match the old lace and lighting of their day and we have been told larger colorless or near colourless G-I color no longer exist as they were recut into modern brilliant when that fashion for more splinter white sparkle took over. Wonder why they didn't re-cut the lower colours then???

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Boo247|1436173033|3899406 said:
Just letting you all know we are reading your links and checking out your suggestions and you've all been really helpful.

It's interesting to hear the debate about colour/clarity as there's one diamond we are looking at that was suggested on this thread which we love but we've seen a smaller ct size but higher colour and clarity and it sparkles like crazy and is really 'pillowy' if you know what I mean. It still comes up just a little over 7mm and I love the sparkle so much I'm thinking it's worth dropping a tiny bit on face up size compared to the less clarity j coloured stone linked on this thread. So you can see your comments are all very relevant and I'm so glad for your help.

Ultimately it's your stone so go with what appeals to you the most. 7mm is a very nice size IMO and I'd give up a little size for better fire and scintillation. We're all constrained by a budget so we're forced to make concessions and that's where it gets tricky as we have to figure out where to sacrifice. And maybe that 7mm stone is only 1.9 carats and you want to hit that magical 2ct mark. Just call it 2cts as know one will really ever know. :wink2:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you like that one more, then that is the better option for you. I dropped over a whole carat size with the sapphire for my engagement ring because I liked the smaller one better, and I'm still extremely happy and wouldn't change a thing.

Pyramid|1436105048|3899188 said:
Why is it okay to have the opposite view on here? I know it's more popular.

The issue isn't that you are voicing your opinion, it is how you are voicing your opinion. You're frequently offensive about it. I'm pretty laid back and don't get offended easily and I find your posts offensive all the time. Rather than accepting that people can have different personal preferences about these things, you frequently bash these as "worse." You are being intentionally contentious and, not unexpectedly, conflict often results.

No one is saying an SI2 is the same as an IF. But if it is eye-clean... it LOOKS the same. That's literally the definition of eye-clean: "Does it appear clean to the naked eye?" Is an IF rarer? YES. But not everyone is buying for rarity. What is wrong with people buying what they LIKE rather than just what is most expensive? If I can like an SI2 just as much as an IF, why wouldn't I save myself all that money? You wouldn't like an SI2 as much as an IF - that's cool for you. But why can't it be fine for me to not care about the inclusions that you do care about? It's not the same as a tear in my clothes or a crack in the window, because I can SEE those things. I own a $3000 dresser that I bought for $250 because it had a dent in the back. Guess what? The back of the dresser is against the wall. Is it the SAME as a $3000 dresser? Nope, it's not, it has a dent in the back. Can I see the dent? Not unless I pull it out from the wall, which only happens once a year when I remember to vacuum behind it. Since I can't see it and it doesn't affect the functioning of the dresser, why would I care about it? The fact that I could buy it for less than 1/10th the price shows that many people DO, but I didn't. I bought it in college, when my dresser budget was a whopping $300, so coming across a designer dresser with drawers that slid like butter was a dream, but if I came across the same deal today, when I COULD spend the money, would I get the more expensive, intact, dresser, or the less expensive dented one? I'd get the less expensive one and spend the other $2750 on bling, obviously. :D But that's ME. My husband, if the buying were left to him, would totally buy the undented, more expensive one.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
distracts|1436208526|3899550 said:

If you like that one more, then that is the better option for you. I dropped over a whole carat size with the sapphire for my engagement ring because I liked the smaller one better, and I'm still extremely happy and wouldn't change a thing.

Pyramid|1436105048|3899188 said:
Why is it okay to have the opposite view on here? I know it's more popular.

The issue isn't that you are voicing your opinion, it is how you are voicing your opinion. You're frequently offensive about it. I'm pretty laid back and don't get offended easily and I find your posts offensive all the time. Rather than accepting that people can have different personal preferences about these things, you frequently bash these as "worse." You are being intentionally contentious and, not unexpectedly, conflict often results.

No one is saying an SI2 is the same as an IF. But if it is eye-clean... it LOOKS the same. That's literally the definition of eye-clean: "Does it appear clean to the naked eye?" Is an IF rarer? YES. But not everyone is buying for rarity. What is wrong with people buying what they LIKE rather than just what is most expensive? If I can like an SI2 just as much as an IF, why wouldn't I save myself all that money? You wouldn't like an SI2 as much as an IF - that's cool for you. But why can't it be fine for me to not care about the inclusions that you do care about? It's not the same as a tear in my clothes or a crack in the window, because I can SEE those things. I own a $3000 dresser that I bought for $250 because it had a dent in the back. Guess what? The back of the dresser is against the wall. Is it the SAME as a $3000 dresser? Nope, it's not, it has a dent in the back. Can I see the dent? Not unless I pull it out from the wall, which only happens once a year when I remember to vacuum behind it. Since I can't see it and it doesn't affect the functioning of the dresser, why would I care about it? The fact that I could buy it for less than 1/10th the price shows that many people DO, but I didn't. I bought it in college, when my dresser budget was a whopping $300, so coming across a designer dresser with drawers that slid like butter was a dream, but if I came across the same deal today, when I COULD spend the money, would I get the more expensive, intact, dresser, or the less expensive dented one? I'd get the less expensive one and spend the other $2750 on bling, obviously. :D But that's ME. My husband, if the buying were left to him, would totally buy the undented, more expensive one.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ariel144|1436144030|3899332 said:
These ppl on Ebay have a very good reputation and sell a lot of antique stones. This is the largest stone I have seen and under budget.
It is the old more rounded cornered cushion but might be worth taking a look at in person. In a solitaire with fish tail prongs it can square off the corners. 1.83 J VS1 7.64 x 7.3 They also have a good 14 day return policy.

Also I've seen PSrs post about this vendor in the positive as being pretty accurate as far as color and clarity:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-83ct-ANTIQUE-J-VS1-OLD-EURO-MINE-CUSHION-CUT-DIAMOND-LOOSE-ART-DECO-VINTAGE-2-/400950797818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5a87a5fa

I'm loving it now that I've seen the video...very pretty cushion IMO and love the kozibe effect too:

I almost bought this stone- Ilya is a trusted PS vendor and if you go through his website and email him directly, he will give you this for closer to 6500. A screamin deal if it fits what you are looking for! I actually sent this to Grace to check out for me and she agreed that it was beautiful and a bargain!

Boo247

Rough_Rock
You guys are going to kill us! He found an antique diamond ring dealer. He upped his budget.

VS I colour. Tad under 3ct. Centre stone 2.4ct

_31980.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boo247|1436224863|3899664 said:
You guys are going to kill us! He found an antique diamond ring dealer. He upped his budget.

VS I colour. Tad under 3ct. Centre stone 2.4ct

Well that sure is a pretty ring!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a turn of events. Can w get more pics to see the pretty faceting! and handsots. :appl:

Boo247

Rough_Rock
(This isn't my finger btw).

_32002.jpg

_32003.jpg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
dollyanjuli|1436208750|3899553 said:

I almost bought this stone- Ilya is a trusted PS vendor and if you go through his website and email him directly, he will give you this for closer to 6500. A screamin deal if it fits what you are looking for! I actually sent this to Grace to check out for me and she agreed that it was beautiful and a bargain!

Well, that certainly is a great price...and great to know it is a nice stone. Thanks for the added info.

If this OP doesn't buy it someone should post to the 7mm club.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Boo247|1436244480|3899755 said:
(This isn't my finger btw).

Saw that ring...that seller usually has some really nice antique rings. Just that she's in the UK but very reputable.

Here's a comment from David Atlas on J and lower colored stones:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/page-5']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/page-5[/URL]

Post by Oldminer » 27 Jun 2005 15:25
Over the coming years we are likely to see a diamond''s light performance become more critical to value and desireability than its exact body color. Color will have importance, but there certainly will be J color diamonds that look way better than some F color ones......The possibilities of a wider set of selectrion criteria is growing as performance enters the scene.

The reason I warn people about diamonds graded "J" is that the huge mass sellers tend to use I, I/J or J as their bottom available color. Many of these diamonds graded J are not quite up to the exact grade and would be graded K or L in many laboratory situations. People often are veryhappy with K, L or M color diamonds. They can look vey nice. What I don''t want is for people to blindly believe a color grade simply because it is described by an employee with a letter of the alphabet and comes with a little document. That does not assure accuracy.

David S. Atlas, GG(GIA)
Certified Sr Mbr(NAJA) ASG(AGA)
http://datlas.com/services/

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ariel144|1436250033|3899776 said:

Well, that certainly is a great price...and great to know it is a nice stone. Thanks for the added info.

Whats the 7MM club?

I am actually shocked someone hasnt bought this yet. In general, Ilya has amazing prices on his antique stones. Not all of them are well cut, but the ones that are are really nice.

Also- that ring is soooooooo pretty!!!

lb0424

Rough_Rock

Sorry if this is a threadjack - @dollyanjuli, i really like the faceting pattern of this diamond. What makes you not to buy this beautiful diamond? I can't seem to find a GIA report online. Thanks!

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
lb0424|1436294341|3899977 said:

Sorry if this is a threadjack - @dollyanjuli, i really like the faceting pattern of this diamond. What makes you not to buy this beautiful diamond? I can't seem to find a GIA report online. Thanks!

Hi!

It was too small for my needs =) There is no GIA report, that's why it's so cheap! Also, Ilya offers a solid return policy. If you get it, best thing to do is immediately take it to an appraiser. If all looks good and you decide to keep you can send it out for proper grading. Grace from Jewels by Grace was going to facilitate for me before i decided to pass. Hope that helps!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
dollyanjuli|1436288300|3899918 said:
ariel144|1436250033|3899776 said:

Whats the 7MM club?

I am actually shocked someone hasnt bought this yet. In general, Ilya has amazing prices on his antique stones. Not all of them are well cut, but the ones that are are really nice.

Also- that ring is soooooooo pretty!!!

The 7mm group are PSr's looking for old cut diamonds that are at least 7mm at a good price point. They communicate through loupetroop.com because you can't do that on PS. I didn't join it when I saw info posted and when I searched for a thread on it nothing came up.

The google search on PS is not working for me at all now. Anyone else having that problem? I contacted PS but no response.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
Ariel - when you say communicate through loupe troop - what do you mean? I can't seem to find a discussion thread on that site.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results