shape
carat
color
clarity

EVOO 4 BBQ

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of using toxic stinky lighter fluid ...

Cut strips from an old cotton T-shirt or a bed sheet.
Of course any cooking oil would work, but EVOO is so very very stylish! :naughty:

dsc_1261.jpg

dsc_1263.jpg

dsc_1268.jpg

dsc_1271.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Works beautifully.
Actually smells good too.

dsc_1274.jpg

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know! I will be trying this next time we BBQ.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why use BBQ briquettes and not lumpwood charcoals, as the former contains more additives?

DK :confused:

P.S. I use instant lighting briquettes in a bag for ease of use. :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1436053356|3899046 said:
Why use BBQ briquettes and not lumpwood charcoals, as the former contains more additives?

DK :confused:

P.S. I use instant lighting briquettes in a bag for ease of use. :))

I didn't know.
Thanks for the info.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, those briquettes are very toxic. You can buy great natural lump charcoal at Smart and Final, Kenny in big bags or Trader Joe's if you want smaller ones.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness, did not know briquettes contained additives, I wonder how bad they are? We grew up BBQ'ing on a Webber just like Kenny's, my Dad was the BBQ Wizard. Egads...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read somewhere that those who are really into BBQs would not use briquettes as they taint the food with a funny taste.

I have not performed any taste comparison tests to be able to confirm if that is true or not.

Being a bit of a pyro nut, I prefer charcoals and briquettes so that I can see the pile go up in flames, and gas BBQs can't do that.

DK :))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, HOW did you get charcoal with your initial on it? :shock:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting way of lighting them Kenny, I usually just use the white kerosene firelighters with my Weber. I'm pretty sure that the additives have basically all burned out of the coals and lighters once they have ashed over. I was told that's why you wait until all coals have lost their black/gray color and have turned to ash before you start cooking.

I love to smoke Marlin steaks and chicken wings on my Weber. A bit of hickory wood for the chicken with a 24 hour soak in honey soy marinade, or some tea tree wood with the Marlin steaks with brine and brown sugar. Good googly moogly I'm getting hungry already...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass said:
Interesting way of lighting them Kenny, I usually just use the white kerosene firelighters with my Weber. I'm pretty sure that the additives have basically all burned out of the coals and lighters once they have ashed over. I was told that's why you wait until all coals have lost their black/gray color and have turned to ash before you start cooking.

I love to smoke Marlin steaks and chicken wings on my Weber. A bit of hickory wood for the chicken with a 24 hour soak in honey soy marinade, or some tea tree wood with the Marlin steaks with brine and brown sugar. Good googly moogly I'm getting hungry already...

This made me laugh for ten straight minutes . . . :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results