shape
carat
color
clarity

Some Day I Might Enjoy Fireworks

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...but for now, I stay inside, windows closed, house sealed off, blankets everywhere to absorb the noise, soothing music playing, and dogs on benadryl and melatonin while freaking out in my lap. I feel so bad they are so troubled. And here, the celebrating typically starts a few days prior and ends one or two days after the 4th. Poor fuzzies - at least they know I love them!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a new furbaby. Sometimes she gets so wound up that she barks when the phone rings. Tomorrow night will be an adventure.. Poor thing.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I know. I hate them. Always have, always will. It started about two weeks ago here. What makes it really bad is that here in Vegas, the typical home lots for newer built homes are tiny. We have a big house on a tiny lot; it works for us (our last home in Vegas was about 10 years old and on a huge lot, but due to the excessive heat it was a huge pain to keep up with it, and we never go outside anyway, lol). So we bought this house new about 4 years ago, and it's a lovely quiet neighborhood 99% of the time - which is good bc you have all of these houses super close together and if people are loud, it's a major problem. When neighbors are setting off fireworks, it's essentially IN YOUR YARD. It sucks. Last year my neighbors had a big party on the 4th and set them off late into the night; the next day OUR front yard and cars were covered in trash from their fireworks. I spent a couple of hours cleaning it up after it became clear that they had no plans to do it. It was ridiculous! I actually really like our neighbors most of the time but that was not a great experience :(

So...that's my long way of saying that I hate fireworks, lol.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate them too...always have...

I always think about how many people and kids are probably being injured right at the moment...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like them at all because they bother my dog so much. I live in a neighborhood where they will be going off until about 1:00 AM both tonight and tomorrow night.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like what fireworks look like, but don't like the noise.
Our dogs are not as scared of the sudden booms as they used to be.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like them either. Loud, scary, and dangerous.

It's dry as a tinderbox here in the Southwest, and yet there are tents selling fireworks in parking lots all over town.
Everyone is so worried about fires, yet no one can stop the fireworks sellers.
A few years ago the governor tried to get them banned, but wasn't successful, based on some stupid thing like "you have the freedom to sell whatever the hell you want and the governor can't tell you not to, even if it might set the whole state on fire"

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hate them, too. Somebody just set them off below my bedroom window and in my backyard. Unsettling to say the least. Police were called! I hate to be a killjoy, but that's too close for my liking. Meanwhile, my dog is snoring on the bed... :roll:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate the noise. I love the colors and sparkles and designs tho.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dog doesn't seem to care about fireworks. The cat is pretty concerned though. There are a lot of parks near us and people set off fireworks there all the time, so they have been going off intermittently since yesterday afternoon and will continue for another day or two. We can see the proper fireworks show from our deck, but we'll probably be at a friends' house where we can see an even better one from their swimming pool. I like the big fireworks shows but individual people setting them off is just a nuisance.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ihy138|1435984610|3898751 said:
I hate them, too. Somebody just set them off below my bedroom window and in my backyard. Unsettling to say the least. Police were called! I hate to be a killjoy, but that's too close for my liking. Meanwhile, my dog is snoring on the bed... :roll:

Thats because your dog knows you are there for protection. ;))

For us, so far, so good and we have seemingly made it through one night here! One dog is snoring away, and the other, the drugged one who is supposed to be asleep, is lightly sleeping by the back door, ready to bark at a moment's notice. Tonight's fireworks have come and gone though, so that's good.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have 5 dogs I have one that totally freaks with fireworks, thunder and really loud crashing noises, one that doesn't like it much and three that don't care at all, doesn't bother them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore fireworks, the light, the sound, the smell, the whole lot, as I find fireworks kind of romantic for some strange reasons.

The pets are not keen, as they startle them. Luckily the kids in my neighbourhood have grown out of setting off fireworks in the middle of the night, and I live too far away from major displays.

Happy 4th of July to those across the pond.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate fireworks. When I was little I enjoyed watching them more and while my parents never allowed us to do fireworks ourselves we always watched them every July 4th during the annual July 4th pool party my parents always had. We got to do sparklers. I don't know if anyone remembers those or if they are even still around.

Fast forward to today. I hate them. The kitties are terrified every time fireworks are set off and where we are located in both neighborhoods there are huge fireworks celebrations the day before the day of and yes even the day after. It is a real pain because we cannot get away from the fireworks and I feel for my poor terrified fur babies. Last night they were going off all night and then at 4AM we woke to neighbors doing more fireworks. 4AM, cmon really? People piss me off at least be considerate yanno? 4AM is crazy especially on a Saturday AM. :nono:

I hate the noise but yes it is pretty. Still I could happily live without them. They are not that pretty to suffer all the consequences. Noise and otherwise and every July 4th people get hurt. :(

Enjoy July 4th all and be safe!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind fireworks but the dog hate them. Because of it, I dope her up with trazadone a few hours before they start. (its generally not bad here except on the 4th) Thunderstorms are also another thing I have to be careful about, if I don't catch her in time to get traz in her it can be really really bad. I'm talking shakes, whining, rooing, heavy panting, slobbering bad. I've slept on the floor with her more than a few times (at least her bed is comfortable! :lol: ) Once I get a towel over her head, she's usually ok if I'm holding her. But she won't eat or drink if anxiety level gets too high.

She's ok with action movies (as long as the volume isn't too high)

Liquid melatonin only works if she's already tired. I get Life Extension brand.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get no joy out of fireworks, but honestly, I'm more concerned for my dogs every holiday. Latest one was July 1st. People in the neighbourhood do fireworks at the drop of a hat, for no reason. I always stay home with the dogs because they seem to take turns as to which one gets deeply affected on which occasion. I'd rather look out for them than see fireworks. BTDT. Bah humbug and all that. I understand when the city puts on fireworks, but I can't understand people spending $500 on a few pops and fizzles. I'm so glad we got new next door neighbours this year. The previous ones always shot things directly into our yard. We'd have to spray the grass down and watch for fires. Grrr. :angryfire:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, I love fireworks. We always had huge neighborhood party in our back yard growing up & those were the best memories. That was the period of life when we were stationed in one place for 4 years. Then the moves began in earnest, about every 2 years, some even less. My father was a USAF officer, whatever base we were stationed at always had a huge show on the runway. Good times.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, they do still have sparklers! We have some that a neighbor gave us for the kids last year. When I was little that's what we did too, and I remember quite vividly the first time I ever held one-some sparks landed on me and they hurt and I remember screaming bloody murder. I was like..four? I've never held one since. Hell, I'm still scared of them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1436038567|3898963 said:
Missy, they do still have sparklers! We have some that a neighbor gave us for the kids last year. When I was little that's what we did too, and I remember quite vividly the first time I ever held one-some sparks landed on me and they hurt and I remember screaming bloody murder. I was like..four? I've never held one since. Hell, I'm still scared of them.

Thanks packrat. Nice to know they are still around. A blast from the past.
And ouch to you getting hurt by those sparkles that flew onto you. Yes I got burned by them too a time or two and it did hurt. Funny how my parents were OK with sparklers but we were not allowed to do fireworks. Though fireworks are more dangerous so OK never mind LOL. Yeah I have no plans to do fireworks or sparklers. Not something that appeals to me these days. Though I do remember enjoying those sparklers when I was very young.

minousbijoux|1435950854|3898535 said:
...but for now, I stay inside, windows closed, house sealed off, blankets everywhere to absorb the noise, soothing music playing, and dogs on benadryl and melatonin while freaking out in my lap. I feel so bad they are so troubled. And here, the celebrating typically starts a few days prior and ends one or two days after the 4th. Poor fuzzies - at least they know I love them!

Minou, just wanted to say I hope this holiday goes smoothly for you and your sweet fur babies and for all the PS furbabies who are scared of the noise. Hugs to all of you and your furbabies.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I can't believe people were shooting fireworks off at 4:00 AM. I'd call the police, that's just insane! My whole view of fireworks changed once we got our furbaby.

Sparklers are illegal here. They have been banned for the past few years. I loved them when I was little.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, Missy, thank you for the good wishes. We are in the worst of it right now with the fireworks booming overhead and a million firecracker big booms like gunshots freaking Smiles out completely. He is inconsolable, and my girl is just shaking on me. Sigh.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1436071637|3899112 said:
Aww, Missy, thank you for the good wishes. We are in the worst of it right now with the fireworks booming overhead and a million firecracker big booms like gunshots freaking Smiles out completely. He is inconsolable, and my girl is just shaking on me. Sigh.

I'm so sorry Minous Bijoux. I hope it ends soon so your babies can't feel better.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1436071637|3899112 said:

I feel for your little ones, and I hope they came through it ok. I shoved trazadone in with a hotdog in her mouth slightly before 8pm. Good thing too because they were gearing up and getting her out to potty after that wasn't going to happen. I put the industrial fan in our bedroom (this thing is LOUD!) and some music on, and I watched a movie on my laptop with the headphones in. My other half watched tv in the living room) I put a light blankie on her and she went to dreamland. She sat up twice but went back down on her own.

I hate drugging her up but its what you have to do sometimes. Either that or have a crazy 70lb dog who's a shaky whiny mess trying to hide in your lap.

Here's to hoping they're done for the weekend.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
All better, Minous?

Now I think you and the fuzz monsters deserve a nice romp at the dog park (but only if there are cute eligible men there :naughty: ) !

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1436132266|3899270 said:
All better, Minous?

Now I think you and the fuzz monsters deserve a nice romp at the dog park (but only if there are cute eligible men there :naughty: ) !

Thankfully, its over! Despite the Lorazepam, Melatonin, and Benadryl in his system last night, Smiles still freaked out. I think I pretty much just figured out that next year, I'll knock myself out with the Lorazepam, Melatonin and Benadryl; I'll be in dreamland under the covers and will sleep through the dogs (no, I'd never do that to my dogs, but it sounds good)!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I despise them. The sound is like nails on a chalkboard. And I have several combat vet friends who I know get freaked by them and of course no one is going to be thoughtful of that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1436145801|3899339 said:
I despise them. The sound is like nails on a chalkboard. And I have several combat vet friends who I know get freaked by them and of course no one is going to be thoughtful of that.

I know ame and totally agree. I was just thinking about this the other day. How people suffering from PTSD must feel during the whole fireworks display and how the noise must affect them. And how it seems no one really cares. People are so selfish and thoughtless it really boggles the mind.

::)

Minous, glad it is all over and that everybody has almost fully recovered. I hope Smiles is feeling all better today!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind them if I see them, but I don't go out of my way to watch them. One of my dogs doesn't like them, but we just try to keep things as normal as possible around the house and he gets through it okay. I have friends that live close to a beach and people shoot off fireworks every weekend (and sometimes during the week too) all summer long. That would drive me insane…. :shock:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty indifferent to them. I do think they are bad for the environment, loud, and a waste of money. I guess I don't really get the appeal.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At least is is over now, Minou. I like to watch fireworks, but the thought of blowing $$$ for a few seconds of magical and colourful show seems wasteful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results