shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Reset -- Seeking Help with Settings

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
My 3.46ct blue sapphire is currently in a tension setting (pictures are attached below), which has never been worn since created, as I really disliked how masculine it looks. I tried on the setting before I custom ordered it, but the one I tried on had a round diamond, with narrower and lower shank -- it was a lot more feminine than the ring I ended up with.

Anyway, I want to reset the blue sapphire into a ring that's a bit more feminine. I also want it to be wearable around an infant, if possible. The sapphire measures 8.64 x 7.53 x 6.25 mm. I like many different types of settings, and cannot make up my mind...hence the need for your help. :bigsmile:

sapphire_1_0.jpg
sapphire_2_0.jpg
3_indoor_near_windows_2.jpg

I like 3-stone rings. It may not be very practical around infants though. The first one is by David Klass:

david_klass_4.jpg
366914051_d8f5e82c20_z.jpg

I also like some SingleStone vintage settings (see the links below). However, the center stone in these settings is somewhat small. I wonder if my bigger sapphire will look nice in them. My finger size is about 8.5, if it matters.. Which one(s) would you set the blue sapphire in?

MH-3, 0.90ct center
543_0.jpg

RJ-10, 1.05ct center
435_0.jpg

TR-34, 0.60ct center
415_0.jpg

DEJ-5, 0.61ct center
417_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do a low set semi-bezel.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally love the second vintage style ring. But which makes your heart sing more?
You have a gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous sapphire.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono - Thank you for the suggestion! I looked at semi-bezel settings in Google Images. They all seem quite contemporary. I want something a little more vintage looking. Is that possible?

Acinom - Thank you! Your sapphire makes me drool! Actually, your entire collection makes me drool! I think I like the 2nd and the 3rd SingleStone vintage settings the most (RJ-10, TR-34).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bezel three stone with small rounds.

emerald_on_cloisonne.jpg

screenshot_2015-07-03-10-21-52_1.jpg

screenshot_2015-07-03-10-21-47_1.jpg

screenshot_2015-07-03-10-21-40_1.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, I love your suggestions, especially the middle ring. I think a bezel set 3 stone is a great idea.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a three stone, would you consider side traps or trillions? I personally think those would go much better with the shape of your gorgeous sapphire.

S

SparkliesLuver

Beautiful sapphire! :love: I second the suggestions for a three-stone bezel ring, but even your main stone in a bezel setting would be great. It can stand by itself, for sure.

I'd contact Julia Kay Taylor as her bezels are amazing:
http://juliakaytaylor.com/rings.html

jkt.png

jkt1.png

jkt2.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only suggested a semi bezel because it will not snag or scratch your young child and yet allows light into your sapphire. The inspiration pictures all show a very small centre stone and are very enclosed (could darken your sapphire).

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux -- I think I'd prefer side traps over trillions. I had trillion sides with a round rubellite center, and was not crazy about the combo.

One of my concerns with 3-stone rings is, the side diamonds will cost quite a bit extra, and it doesn't help that my husband doesn't like small side diamonds... :errrr:

I need to think about bezel and semi-bezel rings, because I've grown very picky about it (after getting some James Meyer rings). The semi-bezel sounds very practical though, and still allows the sapphire to shine!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I browsed the bezel and semi-bezel rings on Pearlman's Jewelers website, and discovered Harout R brand. They make some interesting half-bezel rings. Below are the two I like. Do you think my cushion sapphire will look okay in either one? [Btw, does the metal pattern on the shank look like human arm muscles to you, or is it just me? :bigsmile: ]

Harout R semi-bezel ring:

04hr18.jpg

This one is not exactly half-bezel, but looks similar and a bit more feminine:

28hr18.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry but it's a strange looking setting to me. :lol:

This one looks interesting because it is a semi-bezel yet "soft", reminiscent of an antique setting. Knox has several other such semi-bezels on their website.

3075_1_image.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the sholdt semi bezel with pave and millgrain could be somewhat vintage yet still look OK juxtaposing the half bezel sides.

I'll be back in a moment with photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results