shape
carat
color
clarity

best place to have antique stone recut?

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have an old european cut that could use a day at the spa. It has an inclusion on one of the crown facets that reaches the surface and I think it could be shaved off as it doesn't go deep. Regardless I know it needs to be evaluated by an expert of antique stones to see if it can even be done without jeopardizing the charm of the old cut. Don't worry, I don't want it to become a MRB like my local box store insisted. Suggestions of where to send it? Does anyone know the going rate for stone recutting? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Singlestone can do some rehab. For a total recut (which it doesn't sounds like you need), I'd talk to Jonathan at GOG since he has AVR cutters.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I've heard tell that the going rate is $250 to $350 per carat, with a minimum charge of about that, regardless of carat size. If you find a better price range, do share with the forum as there are many of us interested!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes I contacted Grace and she quoted me $350 per carat so you are correct. I'ok keep you updated if I find different rates!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would also call Ilya at My Diamond Zone. He deals with a lot of old stones & he's often stated he would have the stones polished. He might be able to give you some direction. =)

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What size is the OEC? Rates can vary based on the level of difficulty of the job too - for example a simple girdle cleanup should cost less per carat than a more complex job. What clarity is this stone? Inclusions are trickier.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam at Old World Diamonds has an outstanding cutter/rehab guy that does a lot of Old cut stones....

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Did you get your stone assessed? If so, who did you go with? I only ask because I recently contacted several PS-recommended vendors to recut the stone in my avatar ring, and the prices for recut varied widely. About half of the vendors didn't want the job and some never responded at all. Three of them were very professional and responded quickly but the estimates were all over the map, and I'm really losing hope. If you worked with someone, could you share some more info? Thanks in advance.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I sent it to Grace and had her cutter take a look but he decided not to cut it. It was around $325--$375 per carat to cut. Did you call Adam?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results