shape
carat
color
clarity

Russian demantoid engagement ring

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
As suggested by a number of fellow admirers, it seems best to start a new topic for this ring. Here is the story of the demantoid.

Some time ago, my now fiancé asked if I would help him choose an engagement ring. He knew I would like something unusual, and wasn't entirely confident in choosing the perfect stone.

We began our search online. I love stones of all colours but green stood out to me as striking. Some of the gems available through local jewellers included emeralds, tourmalines, beryl and peridot.

While researching online one evening, I came across the RomanovRussia website where the seller had listed a number of lovely rings with alluring green gems. An emerald originally caught my fancy but then I discovered the demantoid, and it's history. We also loved the style that the Russian jewellers used to display these beautiful 'green pearls'.

I contacted the seller but the ring we preferred was sold. Upon his return from Russia, he advised of a more recent acquisition, a 2.84 ct demantoid with bezel set diamonds. I liked it right away but felt unsure about the setting, and the inclusions, which were easily seen with the naked eye. Fellow members of this forum assisted with advice, and the decision was made to continue our search.

A number of local jewellers were contacted, most of whom knew little about the Russian demantoid. All were able to locate stock from elsewhere but we were drawn to the history, colour and exclusivity of the Russian stones. As a breeder of Arabian horses I also loved the idea of 'horsetail' inclusions.

The decision was made to work with one jeweller in particular. His premises was filled with lovely gems, and his staff took an interest in our quest. The jeweller contacted his preferred suppliers but was unable to secure anything in the size we wanted. Some weeks later, he advised he would be travelling to Hong Kong for the gem show.

8 stones ranging between 1.9 ct and 3.34 ct were found. Via a series of emails and phone calls the decision was made to purchase the largest of the 8. Our jeweller said it was not only a great size but one of two of the best coloured, of excellent cut and with a horse tail fanning out from close to the centre of the stone when examined under loupe.

I loved the demantoid as soon as I first examined it. The colour shocked me. It was unlike anything I had seen before.

We worked with a talented designer, and the ring was commissioned.

The specifications are as follows:

3.34 carat Russian demantoid garnet

1.28 carat of F colour VS clarity diamonds (14 in total) in platinum basket setting.

18 carat 4mm gold shank and claws holding demantoid.

I've tried my best to take a few photos using my phone. Will try with a proper camera soon but I don't think anything will capture the true colour and fire. In a dimly lit room the horsetail picks up the light, like a flame glowing within the stone. image_3646.jpg image_3652.jpg image_3653.jpg image_3654.jpg image_3655.jpg image_3656.jpg image_3657.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an absolutely beautiful ring, thanks for starting a thread on it, and congratulations on your engagement.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. The setting you chose looks authentically vintage. A masterpiece! Congrats. :appl: :appl: :appl:

dori2002

Rough_Rock
Absolutely stunning, Thanks for sharing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, that is the most beautiful demantoid ring I've ever seen - the demantoid is perfection and the diamonds look almost blindingly white. It is just breathtaking! :appl:

If you have not already done so, please insure the stone/ring right away. A Russian demantoid of that size and quality is, as you know, just about impossible to source, and I can only imagine what it would cost to replace, so protect it, please. :praise:

Love everything about it!

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much! It's difficult to explain to friends what a Russian demantoid is so it is great to be able to share with those who understand.

I'd love some advice as to how to best care for the stone. I'm a bit paranoid about damaging it so it won't be worn around the house. How do others keep their gems clean and free from scratches?

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely. Enjoy!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! I LOVE the color of good demantoids. They're so eyecatching. I've never seen one that big in person though - that is a truly special stone. I adore that the halo stones aren't round - makes it extra unique and really suits the stone. Please feel free to post pictures every day for all eternity, as I for one would never tire of seeing them. :D

My ring is a sapphire but I worry about damaging the setting, so I basically just wear it when I'm seeing people socially/going out somewhere for fun (this is still most of the weekend and most evenings, so it's not like it's abandoned). Not around the house, barely ever to work (though mostly I work from home), not to run errands, not whenever I know I'll be doing stuff where my hands will knock into things, etc. I wear just my wedding bands for those things or another engagementy-like ring with a plain band and a sturdy stone. I have a ring stand on a shelf above my computer and I have it on that, facing me, so I can see it all day even though it's not on my hand. :) There are a bunch of threads on this forum about how often people here wear their rings, including one recently in SMTB, and not wearing them too much isn't terribly unusual.

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Distracts, do you have a thread for your ring? I would love to see it. Is it your profile picture? Amazing colour!

Thank you for sharing about how you care for and enjoy your sapphire. Having it displayed somewhere it can be seen throughout the day is such a great idea!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!! Your ring is amazing and looks genuinely vintage. Enjoy wearing this beauty!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love your story and the green is so bright, great colour for a demantoid garnet. Do you see colourful dispersions in real life?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on both the engagement and ring. Demantoid is the softest in the garnet family and I would only wear it out if I'm not doing anything active with my hands.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement and your ring! The color is stunning and the underside of the setting is just lovely! :appl:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh, I need to own a demantoid like that one day. Awesome, congrats!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your compliments!

Lovinggems, I can see the occasional flash of red and orange under very bright indoor light. In good sunlight the demantoid is neon green and without other colours. It sort of glows like radioactive material. Is this typical of the demantoid?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and congrats on your engagement! :)

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Beautiful! Congratulations on your gorgeous new ring & engagement! :appl:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow amazing stone! I've been developing a soft spot for Demantoid, the green is so vibrant. I'd actually consider it over an emerald for the wife if the circumstances were right :)

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Re: Russian demantoid engagement ring - new photos

Hi all,

I took a few new photos yesterday. Still haven't managed to capture the horsetail but these photos show the gem's colour a bit better. These are taken in natural sunlight.

Enjoy!

dsc00948.jpg

dsc00959.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
If I had that ring I'd be getting into accidents all the time from getting distracted while looking at it.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, that is a special stone, and ring :love: :love: :love: Demantoids are special stones, I've never seen one that big before.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring. :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that gorgeous green! Congrats on your engagement and on your beautiful new ring. :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good grief, this ring is GORGEOUS! :love: :love: :love:

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely Ring! Congrats on you're Engagement!
~Justin

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I just noticed that halo stones are made up of ovals! It was too easy to be distracted by the demantoid to notice other details of the ring. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results