shape
carat
color
clarity

Gday from Down Under!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW I am impressed with all the new stones you've posted. The green round is very pretty, I bet it really sparkles.

I'm looking forward to the next blue you put up, I link the square blue you just posted but it doesn't seem as clear as your other stones. I don't know if it's because it was dirty, as you said, or if it's a bit included. Either way I still enjoy looking at all your cutting. =)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Keen to see this 2 carat blue Jamie!!

This is just making me want to get some panning kits, grab the wife and go find some of my own sapphires in the outback. Inverell isn't that far from Melbourne right? :lol:

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys,
Unfortunately I have caught the flu so no cutting atm probably tomorrow I will get back to it and finish of the stars and table! Forgot how bad it feels.
Anyway, thanks for the nice comments once again. Glad you like my muffins (directed at minousbijoux :D ).

Jordy it is always a good holiday going to Inverell imo but a bit to cold at the moment. Spring and autumn are tops and if you head up in autumn you get to see all the leaves change color. Pretty rare to see for us northern Australians. Also You can come home with something pretty and blue if you put in the work lol. I think it's walking distance from Melbourne isn't it? :cheeky:

Stonehunter, thanks for your comment! The green round is an amazing stone (lime one) I really like it and the stone is really at its best in a medium light like outside shade and as you said very brilliant. The blue barion sq was not cleaned properly but is nice and clear. That stone was quite a challenge as there was definite yellow area in the rough that it came from. To overcome that I had to place the desired color in the culet which in general throws that color right around the stone. I might try taking a shot of it outside tomorrow with the good camera.

Sorry lovingems will have blue done tomorrow.

One more thing, what type of light do you guys like to use when shooting gems? I am starting to think outside shaded area is probably best. I would really like to hear some of your opinions please. I would like to get photos as true as possible.
Jamie

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jamie,

I find the best photos are taken in 3 lighting situations:

1. Inside under artificial light - helpful for those who work indoors all day, offices etc. Does the stone change colour?
2. Outside direct sunlight - shows if the stone "blacks out"
3. Outside indirect sunlight/shade - usually the most flattering shot.

Also helpful to have a shot from directly above to eliminate any "windows" and side on to show depth and profile of the stone.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
aussiejamie|1435798661|3897698 said:
Jordy it is always a good holiday going to Inverell imo but a bit to cold at the moment. Spring and autumn are tops and if you head up in autumn you get to see all the leaves change color. Pretty rare to see for us northern Australians. Also You can come home with something pretty and blue if you put in the work lol. I think it's walking distance from Melbourne isn't it? :cheeky:

Jamie, I've spent time hunting in the Dandenong ranges in Victoria and out past the continental shelf chasing tuna in freezing weather. I'm sure my blood is thick enough for Inverell :lol:

Wish we had a private message function on this forum, would love to chat with you more privately about the Aussie stones!!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any news on the 2 carat blue Jamie? I'm definitely keen to see it!

Seems like you're much like me in the sense that we're both gem enthusiasts, but you're living my dream right now; fossicking and cutting stones for the fun of it. This is something I want to start doing and possibly look into as a career further down the track if I can do it well enough! May I ask where you learnt how to cut and polish rough? Was it a course or did someone teach you?

I'd love for someone here in Australia (Melbourne preferrably lol) to take me under their wing and teach me how to fossick and cut stones, I'm the ideal student in the sense that I put in 200% when I am passionate about something and want to learn about it. And I can't remember the last time I was this passionate about something that I wanted to learn!! I am a jedi apprentice that needs a yoda :lol:

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Jordy,
It is on its way and should be finished tonight! I have had a shocking flu all last week and am still battling it but the battle is nearly won. I agree that it would be cool to have a pm tool to communicate through. I learnt to facet at a local lapidary club where I met some very good and experienced AFG faceters that regularly enter competition stones. We get together now as a faceting group monthly to discuss issues with stones and it is great to learn new techniques to do things. Sometimes you need to go out and research how to do things yourself too. A good example is I wanted to learn how to cabochon star sapphires and no one knew how to do them. After a few months researching I gained the confidence to give it a go. Now I have lots of quality stars and have been teaching some people at the lapidary club how to do them. I will say however that some people just can't do it due to heavy handedness and impatience. I too would like a mentor that is in the industry but they are so few and far between. First step for you is to find out where your local lapidary club is and visit it. Atleast this will give you a starting point to get yourself faceting. I do want to help you out so if you do want to ask more questions etc I am more than willing to help. You will need your own faceting machine if you really want to become proficient. I remember how keen I was to learn too. I just don't know whether its a good idea to post my email on the forum.
Hotpozzum, thankyou for your feedback on the photography. Really appreciate it! I really do want to show true and reproducible pictures of my gems! Any other input would be great from anyone.
Jamie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check to make sure your white balance is set correctly. If not, it is all right to colour correct on the computer to match it up to what you see in person. Sometimes though, it is easier to describe it rather than photograph it. :loopy:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Jamie,

Sorry to hear you have been unwell, I remember you mentioned previously you had the flu - must have been a backside-kicker!! I made a reply to this thread earlier but it got deleted and I am pretty sure I know why (sorry Ella and mods, my mistake with the email!).

Thank you so much for the information about the lapidary clubs, I had no idea they existed! I've found a number of lapidary clubs near my home so it's a matter of picking one and showing up to learn. I'd still love to figure out how we can get in contact so we can privately discuss more about Aussie gems etc.

Can't wait to see the 2 carat blue!!!

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys,
Finally started to feel somewhat better now so finished off the blue and it's very nice I think. This stone has been a complete pain in the butt and I am glad to see it done! Might have even considered putting it in the slingshot at one time lol. It turned out a bit smaller than 2ct at 1.91 but still not a bad size. Glad I could help a bit jordy and as I said shoot away with questions you have.

Thanks chrono for your input on shooting stones and your comments are always welcome.

Jamie

blue_62.jpg

blue_63.jpg

blue_64.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That stone looks absolutely amazing Jamie!! Great job!!

Most of my questions would be in regards to setup costs here in Australia for the polishing wheel, rough etc for a gem enthusiast so they're not really questions for a public forum. It's something I'll probably ask at one of the lapidary clubs when I find the time to go, just keen to learn as much as I can!!

One thing I think I can ask though, how many hours work from rough to finished product?

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Glad you like it jordy. That stone is off to its new owner now. I promised my friend the first stone of the bunch. Wish I took better pics of it as I had to photoshop some dust specs for those pictures.
Hard to say how long it takes to cut a stone as each design is different, stone size, amount of facets, issues regarding gem types and it can take a long time especially when starting out. I know people that take 2 days to do a stone and others that can do a good cut in 3 hours maybe less. Starting off you will definitely be on the slower side of things. If you really want to get into it buy a new machine as it will have no problems straight out of the box whereas second hand machines generally have some issues that need fixing. I personally have a facetron.
Jamie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Jordyonbass: there is an online gemology website that has those words in the title that I think you will find extremely helpful. I don't mean to be obtuse, its just that we are not allowed to name it or post links. If I were you, though, I would google "Online Gemology forums" and go to the first one that comes up. :praise:

I have seen your questions asked and answered there on a regular basis - including recommendations for equipment with reviews, and answers to questions such as designs, length of time to create and best methods.

That is not to say that you shouldn't find a lapidary club - that is an awesome idea as well - but in the meantime, I believe the site I have in mind will help you tremendously.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Good idea minousbijoux and love the work around :cheeky: . Definitely some good information on gemology forums out there. There is however nothing that gets the fire burning inside more than seeing it done in front of you and getting hands on. Definitely visit a lapidary club.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi minousbijoux :wavey:

I've seen people refer to this forum which shall remain nameless and I've tried to access it but this is my issue; I do most of my internet surfing at work and not at home and unfortunately that alleged forum appears to have been blocked by the server. Luckily this one isn't.

I actually don't have a computer at home. Well, not one that works :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1436413899|3900702 said:
Hi minousbijoux :wavey:

I've seen people refer to this forum which shall remain nameless and I've tried to access it but this is my issue; I do most of my internet surfing at work and not at home and unfortunately that alleged forum appears to have been blocked by the server. Luckily this one isn't.

I actually don't have a computer at home. Well, not one that works :lol:

Your smartphone, maybe?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I might be young but I'm not that clever! :lol:

I suppose this is a good enough reason to invest in a computer for myself :roll:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely sapphire. :appl:

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys,
Thanks lovingems for the thumbs up. The front on pic did not do the blue justice and the photography was average at best for that stone. I am trying out different things when photographing the gems.Its my birthday today so no cutting today as busy seeing family etc but I have a new stone from yesterday. I will take a good shot when the battery for my camera is charged and I bought some black backed glass for background so we will see how it comes out. Here is an iphone shot. It is an octagon barion I think about .8 ct. Hope you guys like it.
Jamie

img_8621.jpg

img_8622.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I love that new stone.

IPhone shots on your hand can be so helpful in getting a good sense of what the stone really looks like.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
aussiejamie|1436851718|3902538 said:
Hi guys,
Thanks lovingems for the thumbs up. The front on pic did not do the blue justice and the photography was average at best for that stone. I am trying out different things when photographing the gems.Its my birthday today so no cutting today as busy seeing family etc but I have a new stone from yesterday. I will take a good shot when the battery for my camera is charged and I bought some black backed glass for background so we will see how it comes out. Here is an iphone shot. It is an octagon barion I think about .8 ct. Hope you guys like it.
Jamie

Happy belated birthday! That stone is beautiful - is it a sapphire as well?

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks acinom for the nice comment. It is a really bright stone which is great! I love having stones which are 100 % untreated as nature meant them to be. Decide to take a shot with a few of them together. Hope you guys enjoy.

img_8624.jpg

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ricezo this is also a sapphire (and a pretty one at that) very nice yellow with slight green tinge in some lights. Majority of my facetted stones will be sapphires and thanks for the birthday wishes. :D

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Great stones and the yellow green sapphire is very pretty. Happy belated birthday!

Spin-Elle

Rough_Rock
aussiejamie|1436866334|3902584 said:
Thanks acinom for the nice comment. It is a really bright stone which is great! I love having stones which are 100 % untreated as nature meant them to be. Decide to take a shot with a few of them together. Hope you guys enjoy.
:love: :love: :love:
Jamie they are gorgeous!! I agree with your sentiments above - I think thats why I love the parti sapphires.
Hope you're well. I'm leaving for Australia tomorrow! I hear there is some very cold weather to greet me :-o

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aussiejamie|1436866334|3902584 said:

Wow, you certainly have an eye for color and you absolutely cut well! Those are all lovely.

Happy Birthday, btw!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great job on the stones Jamie! And happy belated birthday!

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks all for the really nice comments and birthday wishes!

Spinelle- I too really like parti sapphires especially when cut well and like that the cannot be lab created (yet). It has been pretty dam cold too so rug up!

Minousbijoux- Thanks for the nice comments from someone that clearly knows what they are talking about (from reading your posts in other threads too). I am lucky to have access to some quality stones.

Jordy - Thanks for the comment and get yourself to that club.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've got a few music commitments I need to get out of the way first, then I'll be heading down!! Seeing your work on these Aussie Sapphires has really given me the boot in the backside that I need to get the ball rolling.

P.s. I've sent another smoke signal, check your horizon/inbox :lol:

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi ladies and gentlemen,
Fresh off the dop this morning is a little cracker golden yellow sapphire! I love our aussie fancy sapphires. Hope you guys enjoy it. The rough this came from looked a bit ordinary but this lil gem speaks for its self!
Jamie

_32458.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results